Cold Bow 2024.... QnA Thread

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The 2024 Cold Bow Challenge will start Saturday, May 11th AT 8:15 AM MTN TIME on the Challenge Thread Here.

(You’re currently on the QnA thread)

Hit the "Watch" button upper right on both threads to receive the notification when someone posts.

and get your bow ready

For 2024, it's a 3-arrow, broadhead only challange (expandables counted as broadheads)

I'll be updating prizes on the Challenge Thread over the next few weeks.

@realunlucky @fngTony @Howard Mee @mtnwrunner @Glendon Mullins @Justin Crossley @William Hanson (live2hunt) @Team4LongGun @Ryan Avery

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Challenge thread is up!

There are some changes. Please check it and ask questions now.

See you May 11th!

thayerp81

FNG
This will be my first time, so maybe this is a stupid question but I wanted some clarification on the start time.

I know the challenge thread will open 5/11 at 8:15am MTN, but is it acceptable if we shoot earlier that morning (before work) and then post those results when the thread opens, or do we actually have to wait until 8:15am MTN to shoot?

CorbLand

WKR
I have the G5 Dead Meat practice broadhead. Does that count as an expandable or field point?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This will be my first time, so maybe this is a stupid question but I wanted some clarification on the start time.

I know the challenge thread will open 5/11 at 8:15am MTN, but is it acceptable if we shoot earlier that morning (before work) and then post those results when the thread opens, or do we actually have to wait until 8:15am MTN to shoot?

That should be fine as long as you honestly wait until the day of. Honor system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can crossbow hunters get in on this?

The idea of the challenge is to get archers dialed in and thinking about the up coming seasons.
A cross bow isn’t really what we’re aiming at. Thanks for asking for clarity

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the G5 Dead Meat practice broadhead. Does that count as an expandable or field point?

I’ll ask [mention]robby denning [/mention]to have the final say here, but I’d say No to practice heads. They really aren’t the same (unfortunately)
If you have a Sevr type broadhead that can be locked shut with a worm screw, that would be acceptable.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can we shoot two different bows with different arrow / BH combinations?

Sure, but you only get one entry.
The only exception is if you shoot a compound AND a trad bow.
Does that make sense?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats fair, but you have to admit that if anyone needs to better understand their MER, its x-bow hunters.

No argument there!
Same with rifle hunters, which is why we’ll hopefully have another Cold Bore Challaneg

CorbLand

WKR
I’ll ask [mention]robby denning [/mention]to have the final say here, but I’d say No to practice heads. They really aren’t the same (unfortunately)
If you have a Sevr type broadhead that can be locked shut with a worm screw, that would be acceptable.

Aren’t Sevrs the only expandables that lock like that?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

rules say "real time" so same calendar day. We know some guys shoot before it opens, as long as it's May 11th, good by us

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aren’t Sevrs the only expandables that lock like that?

I’m not spooled up on all the options. I’ve been using Ulmer’s Edge / Sevr since they came out and haven’t shopped around since

Taudisio

WKR
I’m not spooled up on all the options. I’ve been using Ulmer’s Edge / Sevr since they came out and haven’t shopped around since

Some of the swhackers also have locking blades if you’re into that kind of thing.