Close call today

When we bought our house the lint trap on the drier had a small burn mark on it. The previous owners must have not been paying attention too close. I will sometimes forget to clean it after every load and my wife gets on me about it from time to time. Now I sometimes check it when in the laundry room even if not doing laundry

Dang. My buddy had a pillow slip off his cot and smolder against our stove in the wall tent while fishing Peck. We woke up choking on plastic pillow smoke...it was -40 ....it was so dark we didn't realize the pillow was on the stove...we thought the smoldering red hot pillow was a Crack in the stove. Probably lost a couple years huffing that stuff.

Buy or borrow an ozone generator if you want to get the smell out. You're gonna have to wash the walls and wipe every surface down too. All that smoke has attached itself to all the dust. Ozone will fix the smell though
Be careful with that ozone generator. Had a case where a college girl damn near killed her two cane corsos with it.

It was during height of Covid. Girl was apparently a complete germophobe and freaked when the couple across the hall in her apartment had Covid. She went and rented an industrial sized generator ..
All the warnings said no one should be in the house for hours … she left but kept her 2 dogs in the apartment because the warning said people not pets……

we managed to pull them through in the short term… long term who knows. It was amazing the damage you could see to the lungs radiographs.. 6 month old puppies looked like metastatic cancer combined with heart failure..

Each spent about a week on oxygen about $7k / pet

Good thing you came home!

One day I made breakfast in a cast iron skillet and as usual, put some water in the skillet to boil and wipe before going to work. Except, I forgot to finish the process before I left. When I got home, the house was full of smoke, the skillet cooked to a crisp, and the burner is dead now. I really felt like a dodged a house fire on that lapse.

Glad everyone is ok - it’s a good reminder to do what we can to help people make safe choices. The wife’s family is full of candle burners - drives me nuts if they burn them without being in the same room, especially if they have cats.

We also need to keep the inside of driers and drier vents cleaned out - many houses burned down that could have been prevented.
Speaking of candles and cats. My sisters house was 2/3 destroyed by fire when one of her 11 cats knocked a burning candle off on to the carpet. She was out back tending her garden when a neighbor came running over to tell her, her house was on fire.

Man your really lucky.

Our house was flooded a few years back but luckily we saved most of our stuff, i couldn't imagine loosing it all. After going through all that i wouldn't wish flooding or a fire on my worst enemy.

Be smart.

My neighbor set my tree on fire at 3 am by putting a plastic garbage can out with fireplace ashes in it.

My one buddies wife burned their whole house down by leaving bags of ashes along the side of the house.

My uncle burned his house down in similar fashion. He's a very successful and intelligent guy (oral surgeon). His kid's highschool friends had TP'ed their house and he was cleaning it up by using a lighter on the strips of toilet paper in the trees. When he was done, he collected all that he could and put it in a receptacle in the garage. It burned the entire house down.

Last edited:
Speaking of candles and cats. My sisters house was 2/3 destroyed by fire when one of her 11 cats knocked a burning candle off on to the carpet. She was out back tending her garden when a neighbor came running over to tell her, her house was on fire.
That’s too bad - luckily she’s ok.

I know someone that recently left a candle burning on her dining room table. She left the house for maybe an hour and a half and came home to a fire. The candle had burned down enough to fall over onto something on the table. Burned the table and that’s it. The smoke damage was tremendous however. Lost most of their clothes, bedding, towels, carpet, Sheetrock, etc. the house has to be gutted and redone

That’s too bad - luckily she’s ok.
Damn thing is she was madder than all hell. The cops had to hold her back because she was trying to go back in to make sure all her cats got out okay. When they asked how many cats she had, she told them. While they were still fighting the fire she was issued a citation for violating the city ordnance which allows only three pets per household. :) :)

I had a house I used as a duck camp burn down 5 or 6 years ago. Nothing I could have prevented, it was bad wiring from the previous owner (bought it from their estate).

Since going through that fire, and fire hazards, in the house makes my skin crawl. I live in an old house (1887), when we renovated it I went with gas logs, and I love a wood burning fire place. I blow out candles my wife leaves out weekly. I've always hated fake Christmas trees, but I'm about to the point where I want one because all of those lights on a dried out tree sitting in my main room has probably taken a year or two off of my life expectancy.

Back