Close call today

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
We were gone for more than 2 hours! Crazy it wasn't worse. I think the pillow must be made with some sort of flame retardant material.
My in-laws went through a house fire and the whole experience was terrible. The fire was bad but the way they talked the insurance company was worse. I’m glad you get to avoid all that

DanMan

FNG
Close call for sure. Glad that it was caught before it got too bad! Even a few minutes can make a huge difference in the amount of damage.
I do hvac system cleaning and restoration for a living for almost 30 years now. A lot of my jobs are in fire / smoke damage situations just like yours.. It can go from a clean / deodorize job to a tear out / replace job very quickly. Of course the most important thing is nobody gets hurt. Thru the years I've had a few jobs where someone was asleep and didn't make it. Heartbreaking.
Thank God and count your blessings my friend.

Beendare

WKR
Be smart.

My neighbor set my tree on fire at 3 am by putting a plastic garbage can out with fireplace ashes in it.

My one buddies wife burned their whole house down by leaving bags of ashes along the side of the house.

Buy or borrow an ozone generator if you want to get the smell out. You're gonna have to wash the walls and wipe every surface down too. All that smoke has attached itself to all the dust. Ozone will fix the smell though

Hnthrdr

WKR
Woah! Glad that everyone was okay it wasn’t any worse, the good Lord must have been looking out for you. Good reminder

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear that you made it home in time, no one was hurt, and mostly only smoke damage. Hopefully this lesson will be learned by your kids for the rest of their lives

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My son-in-law did the same thing with a blanket. They came home to a fire in their bedroom ,blanket, chair, an throw rug. He opened the window and pitched it all out still burning. I had warned my daughter a few time about keeping anything flammable items close to the fire place.

TaperPin

WKR
Glad everyone is ok - it’s a good reminder to do what we can to help people make safe choices. The wife’s family is full of candle burners - drives me nuts if they burn them without being in the same room, especially if they have cats.

We also need to keep the inside of driers and drier vents cleaned out - many houses burned down that could have been prevented.