Bow Hunting Turkeys

CMF

WKR
What are some tips you have for bowhunting turkeys? (besides ground binds, I know that's an option, but not interested)
This is the first year I've really tried to get one with the bow. I'm hunting Kansas currently, getting into birds. I've missed two already, one I feel was due to range(decoyed). The other, (no decoy)I drew while he was behind a tree and he came out the other side nervous and moving quicker. Both had a bit of buck fever going on.
I had two more that I failed to draw or attempt a shot. One of those,(no decoy) I was unsure of range and he was heading toward my wife with a shotgun so I opted to give her the chance, but he moved off. The other(no decoy) came in this morning through some thick stuff and by the time I saw him coming he was 20yds, he got to 15, saw me, spun around moved off quick. I thought he might go left or right and move behind a tree giving me a chance to draw, but he moved straight away and by the time he's 25yds it was too thick.
I feel like I can't draw if they're looking at me, but this isn't working either.
Is a leafy top better for not getting picked off?
Are you drawing if they can see you and if so what is there typical response? Time for a shot?
Decoys
We successfully used some decoys during the youth season, but they shied from them on our encounters during archery season when I tried to get the wife on one with the crossbow.
Would using a decoy 100% of the time(bowhunting) ultimately equal more success longterm even if a few shy away?

I’ve decoyed them with no blind and a bow I set the decoys close a strutting Jake decoy works well then I typically wait till the bird circles the decoy white it’s back to me I’ll draw and take a close head shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CMF

fatlander

WKR
It’s really hard to kill turkeys with a bow, no blind and no decoys. Your experience is pretty common. Decoys would have been useful when you don’t have them and birds shy away from them when you do. You’re going to get busted way more than it’s going to work out, especially without decoys.

Just keep after it, it’ll work eventually. I will say the old soul turkey hunter in me hates nothing more than having a gobbler within 20 yards and him not dying. It’s ok if the turkeys wins, but getting him within 20 without decoys is winning.

The only thing harder to kill than a turkey with a bow is a turkey you that busted you with your bow already this season.

Use terrain as much as possible.

Decoys are huge with a bow.

Make sure you are setup in shadows, the bird needs to be focusing on something to draw a bow usually. Without decoys, he is searching around for what he is hearing, so any movement he is going to alert on.

Turkeys can see almost 300 degress, so there's not a lot of time that they can't see you.

I usually carry a little stake out blind. It's like 2' tall, has 4 stakes and maybe 6' long. It's just a shield, but helps a lot if I can get it setup.

Use a turkey tail fan, and work as a team with your wife. One person is on fan duty, leading the way, crawling. The other is crawling right off their hip, with both of you using the fan as cover. Move low and slow towards the birds, with the fan at a believable height. Make sure the back side of the fan with the quills is facing towards the birds. Watch the way the toms move their fan and try to imitate it. The person with the fan can use 2 fingers to peek through the feathers on the fan and see where the birds are, and whisper updates to the hunter.

It's a way more fun way to hunt them, and gives you a small bit of cover to draw your bow.

Another option is to try and mount the fan to the front of your bow, but that creates numerous challenges.

Use a turkey tail fan, and work as a team with your wife. One person is on fan duty, leading the way, crawling. The other is crawling right off their hip, with both of you using the fan as cover. Move low and slow towards the birds, with the fan at a believable height. Make sure the back side of the fan with the quills is facing towards the birds. Watch the way the toms move their fan and try to imitate it. The person with the fan can use 2 fingers to peek through the feathers on the fan and see where the birds are, and whisper updates to the hunter.

It's a way more fun way to hunt them, and gives you a small bit of cover to draw your bow.

Another option is to try and mount the fan to the front of your bow, but that creates numerous challenges.

I'm pretty leary of this approach.

We can legally use rifles, and I also have a constant supply of trespassers. So never know where someone might be, and they might not be worried about being in shotgun range.

Just something to consider depending on the area you are in.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
It’s ok if the turkeys wins, but getting him within 20 without decoys is winning.
That's how I looked at it, catch and release, lol.
The good thing is I'm getting more hunting and experience in, so there's that.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I usually carry a little stake out blind. It's like 2' tall, has 4 stakes and maybe 6' long. It's just a shield, but helps a lot if I can get it setup.
I started out with a little stake out blind, but lately trying to stay more mobile and haven't used it. Think I'll start carrying it and the decoy again.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR

I've strongly considered this, since I have fans from my kids youth season birds. If it were still archery only, I'd give it a try, but I'm hunting public land and it's gun season now so I don't think I'm going to try now. If I get some time to rig one up on my stabilizer I may give it a try in the right scenario.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I'm pretty leary of this approach.

We can legally use rifles, and I also have a constant supply of trespassers. So never know where someone might be, and they might not be worried about being in shotgun range.
Yea, it's shotgun season now. rifles are illegal here, but that don't mean someone wouldn't take a shot from a road or their house, etc.
It would have to be a very specific set up to use this safely on public, and I'd still be hesitant on private near roads.

fatlander

WKR
That's how I looked at it, catch and release, lol.
The good thing is I'm getting more hunting and experience in, so there's that.

We’re saying different things.

A gobbler called to sub 20 yards without a decoy is supposed to die. You won. Dyed in the wool old school turkey hunters will overwhelmingly agree with that sentiment. Calling birds in only to bust them gets old quick. A gobbler will only be fooled by the invisible hen that’s in proximity to the scary monkey so many times. Eventually he’s going to wait for you to come to him and/or he’s just going to go the other way gobbling.

Don’t fan turkeys, no matter what the internet tells you. It’s not cool and it’s not sustainable.

Wheels

WKR
I

Is this just to hide your bow, or expands to hide you as well? If it's big enough to cover you as well it seems it would amplify movement of your bow?
I've thought about a leafy top and some leafy stuff on my bow.
It’s about 2’ wide when expanded. It’s not like you are going to walk around hiding behind it, but works good when you’re set up and need to draw your bow. I guess if you have to aim at the sky to draw it’s not going to work for you.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
this is my go to for run and "bow" style. It stays in my turkey vest and it takes 30 seconds to deploy it. You have to kneel to shoot, but its fine. Otherwise Im in my blind, which I hate. I like being mobile. I did shoot a 19.1 lb with a 9-1/4" beard sunday out of my browning blind though, so cant complain.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
It’s about 2’ wide when expanded. It’s not like you are going to walk around hiding behind it, but works good when you’re set up and need to draw your bow. I guess if you have to aim at the sky to draw it’s not going to work for you.
don't need to aim at the sky, I was just thinking if it's that wide and you have to swing your bow up/down/left/right any it would be more movement

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
this is my go to for run and "bow" style. It stays in my turkey vest and it takes 30 seconds to deploy it. You have to kneel to shoot, but its fine. Otherwise Im in my blind, which I hate. I like being mobile. I did shoot a 19.1 lb with a 9-1/4" beard sunday out of my browning blind though, so cant complain.

I thought about something like this, might have to try

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about something like this, might have to try
Its pretty sweet. Not tiny, gives you options and room to move, but not huge that its a pain to carry. MY only gripe is the piece of webbing running vertically through the middle window. Dont think it can be removed though.

Brimel

FNG
Stay calm, use concealment, and draw when they're distracted or moving.

jonp4161

FNG
Decoys really work well, gives you some time to aim, and distracts the target for some time.