Zulu6 HDX 12x42 vs 16x42

Hey everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a pair of the zulu6 HDXs but not sure whether to go 12x or 16x. I am a primarily whitetail hunter who is getting into big game hunting out west. Anyone with experience with the two pairs of binos is there a big difference in the magnification I have read mixed things some saying there is and some saying the 16x is comparable to traditional 12x. I know FOV is the same on the two. Just looking for some insight before I purchase. Thanks in advance.

LFC911

WKR
A buddy and I tried the 16's at TAC in OK and both ended up buying a pair. We're both elk/deer/3D archers and I'm also a rifle hunter/LR shooter, so i wanted an all around optic, not just something for the deer woods. I like it for 3D's, you can more easily see the scoring rings vs a 12x. Just more practical for my use cases.

wnelson14

WKR
Had the 12s and traded them for the 16s with someone on here, I hated the 16s way more glare and just more finicky IMHO. I now have the 12s again.

OP
S
Had the 12s and traded them for the 16s with someone on here, I hated the 16s way more glare and just more finicky IMHO. I now have the 12s again.
Interesting, I’m glad I came here for some more insight because information is limited. I worried about performance because of the magnification.

OP
S
A buddy and I tried the 16's at TAC in OK and both ended up buying a pair. We're both elk/deer/3D archers and I'm also a rifle hunter/LR shooter, so i wanted an all around optic, not just something for the deer woods. I like it for 3D's, you can more easily see the scoring rings vs a 12x. Just more practical for my use cases.
This is very similar to my situation. We primarily hunt deer with archery and some rifle and shoot 3D. While we are going to be getting into elk hopefully in 2026. I am in WV so most hunting is in the timber with the occasional open property.

wnelson14

WKR
Interesting, I’m glad I came here for some more insight because information is limited. I worried about performance because of the magnification.
I think your splitting hairs when it comes to these Binos, I don't treat them like alpha glass, they are used Day to Day/ Archery/ Home use/ in The truck/ Wife & Kids.
I'm still debating on what's going on the chest for some archery hunts coming up.
I think Steve from Exo stated on a podcast something like "they are really great and not that great" that's how I feel about them.
I think a cool use case is having the 12 or even 10 Zulus on your chest and alpha 15 from a tripod for archery hunts. I think they do pay dividends when you're stocking a bedded something and you can scan the area good with the IS on your approach.

OP
S
I think your splitting hairs when it comes to these Binos, I don't treat them like alpha glass, they are used Day to Day/ Archery/ Home use/ in The truck/ Wife & Kids.
I'm still debating on what's going on the chest for some archery hunts coming up.
I think Steve from Exo stated on a podcast something like "they are really great and not that great" that's how I feel about them.
I think a cool use case is having the 12 or even 10 Zulus on your chest and alpha 15 from a tripod for archery hunts. I think they do pay dividends when you're stocking a bedded something and you can scan the area good with the IS on your approach.

Thank you, I do have a habit of splitting hairs over things that aren’t a huge issue. I do indeed plan on running an alpha 15 on a tripod and these mostly for just like you stated above. I am going to just run with the 12x and use them for what their niche is! Again I appreciate it! Good luck this hunting season