Zoleo Question

buzzy

WKR
I’m new to satellite communicators and wanted to see if my experience is typical or not. I recently purchased one and took it on a hunt in Kyrgyzstan. When messaging it often times times out without sending the message requiring me to hit the messaging button again to have it resend. At times it took over an hour to get the message sent and I rarely had a strong signal. Then at other times it worked as expected and sent the message somewhat quickly. Is it normal for it to take so long to get a message out. I understand the satellites go over every 10-15 minutes but I wouldn’t think I’d have to resend it every 10-15 minutes when it times out. Appreciate any feedback and if I’m doing something wrong.

I did test it out at home without any problems both on and off wifi to simulate being in the backcountry and didn’t have any issues.

Thanks

bat-cave

WKR
I have used both a Zoleo and an In-Reach (in the past). In my experience both may experience some delays, sometimes 30+ min. Often times I was in tree cover when the delays occurred or the device didn't have an unobstructed view of the sky (Ex: attached to my pack belt and I had dropped it and the device was facing the ground etc ...). My negative experiences with my In-Reach led me to switch to the Zoleo, where I have had a much better experience.

I am jealous .. would love to take mine to Kyrgyzstan! I hope your hunt worked out better than your Zoleo! :)

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Thanks. I put a trip report up in the goat threads.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I was in Kyrgyzstan Late August, I have the same satellite communicator no problems, unless we were in a very tight valley with high mountains blocking the horizon then no signal

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04