Zip off base layers

idig4au

WKR
How many of you wear zip off base layer bottom? It’s seems like a great concept but I struggled a bit with them in terms of comfort.

I tried the first generation kuiu zip off merino bottoms when they first came out and I struggled with the short inseam length and tendency to ride up on my calves. I also didn’t like sleeping in them as the Velcro closure on the hip wasn’t comfortable nor were the cold zippers on each leg.

Just wondering if their recent offerings have improved or still the same issues. Might just stay with my silk bottoms as mainly use base layers for sleeping and rarely use during the day

I have the FL ones in 3 different weights of merino...All boot tops so I don't have the ride up issue. Slept and hunted in mine no issues....Even took a wave over my waders and filled them up surf fishing in Jan..stayed warm even when wet. I won't buy any other type of bottom base layers. YMMV

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I have the FL Kiln in full length. The only thing I have noticed that can occasionally be annoying is the Velcro at the top of the zippers on the waist. If I tuck my base layer shirt in them, it’s not an issue. The convenience of being able to take them off/put them on so easily is worth a minor annoyance. Might try the lighter weight over the boot ones next.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Kuiu Peloton 97 ones. I first purchased the 97 hoody and was impressed enough I got the bottoms. I'll be perfectly honest I though the zip off thing was a gimmick.

We were backpacking a couple of years and I wore both the top and bottom to sleep in. The next morning was particularly cold and I started moving with the 97 bottoms on. An hour or two later I was warm enough to remove the bottoms, I thought hell I got to take my gaiters and boots off, then I remembered the zip-off feature. I was surprised they worked, rather well actually.

I've used that feature dozens of times now and I'm a firm believer :)

jd1006

WKR
I wouldn’t go back to non-zip. I like the Peloton 97. For stand hunting, I have the FL Furnace. They are plenty comfortable and save a lot of time when you need to use them or take them off.

Rizzy

WKR
I got the Kuiu's when they first came out and have really liked them, I won't go back to the non zip either. They are very convenient and I tend to be more comfortable because I take them on and off more. I blew out the knee last season, I think I got about 4 years or so out of them so I'm satisfied. The short length does get annoying if I don't have longer socks on.
I got the full length first lite's in a much heavier fabric weight for this season. I have found that I mainly wear them for sitting and glassing and needed a heavier weight to stay warmer longer. If I'm on the move I just take them off...its easy.

I have 6–8-year-old pair of the boot top kuiu ones and absolutely love them. None of my hunting partners used to have them until they saw me quickly zip them off halfway up the trail one morning and now they all use them. Complete game changer for me.

bat-cave

WKR
I had the early Kuiu ones as well and loved them, but agree that the velcro has an amazing tendency to magically attach itself to things. I have since picked up the FL zip off's and believe they are better all around. I have some lighter ones and heavy ones (can't recall the weights off hand), but much softer against the skin, no velcro hassles and comfortable for all day wear, including sleeping. I like the shorter version for WT season or colder hunts (where I invariably wear a taller sock), but thew full length for Elk season where even if I have on a taller sock, I can readily remove them, even with my boots on. I am much more inclined to wear long undies when they are easy to remove on the go ... otherwise I end up cold as I'm under dressed ...

OP
idig4au

idig4au

WKR
Thanks for the responses everyone. Maybe I will try the Kuiu Peloton 97 as prefer synthetic over merino. The FL merino in the past was way too itchy against my skin and drove me crazy. I’ve pretty much transitioned away from merino and have gone synthetic for next to skin layers.