Zero Stop usage question

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,
Hopefully this is an easy question. I have a Viper PST Gen II 3x15, and there are plenty of videos on how to zero and fix the zero stop. My question is more about usage once zero'd (I have read through the manuals and scoured youtube).

The rifle (Bergara B14 in 300WM) and scope are now zero'd at 200 yards, and the zero stop is set using Sig match 190...assuming conditions are flat and there's no weather, does anyone have a simple guide to adjusting for general yardage (+/- 15 yards) from the 0. if the shot is at 300, 350, 400, 450 etc.? Like for 300 click it to 1, 400 click it to 2, etc.

I know there's some math in the manual about each click is 1/4Moa , with 4 clicks being 1.05" at 100 yards) and a click is .1 MRad and 1.44" at 100yards. For some reason my brain turns to scrambled eggs when doing math.

obviously if this question doesn't make sense please DM me and I'll try to explain better.

Thanks.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider

nobody

WKR
Thank you for this...I'll take a look at the website as well and try to get it figured out. Based on the chart at a range of 300, the trajectory is -7.1 so If four clicks MOA is 1.05" I would need to move it 27 clicks? since each click is 1/4MOA on this scope?
If you're going to shoot long range, you need to learn to completely ignore the "inches" column on a ballistics chart. Inches don't matter, what matters is your "come-up," which in this case is in MOA. At 300, your come up is 2.2 MOA, or about 2.25 MOA, so 9 clicks. Retrain your brain to think in MOA or Mils, ignore inches. You'll be happier for it. Conversions in field suck. Speak the same language as your scope and it'll pay dividends long term.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

sndmn11

WKR
Thank you for this...I'll take a look at the website as well and try to get it figured out. Based on the chart at a range of 300, the trajectory is -7.1 so If four clicks MOA is 1.05" I would need to move it 27 clicks? since each click is 1/4MOA on this scope?
What @nobody said.

Strelok and others will tell you the number of clicks needed if you input the correct value for clicks.

VERY IMPORTANT!
You actually need to input the real velocity and elevation, as well as bullet mass and BC if you change.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to shoot long range, you need to learn to completely ignore the "inches" column on a ballistics chart. Inches don't matter, what matters is your "come-up," which in this case is in MOA. At 300, your come up is 2.2 MOA, or about 2.25 MOA, so 9 clicks. Retrain your brain to think in MOA or Mils, ignore inches. You'll be happier for it. Conversions in field suck. Speak the same language as your scope and it'll pay dividends long term.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...
This is such great advice thank you! I believe the scope I have is in MRADs, so I'll find a chart for it and retrain my brain.

ATL

FNG
Since you are just starting out, I suggest you use a 100 yard zero. Set the zero stop for 100 yards, or even a few MOA/MIL below this. If you then want to carry the gun during hunts with the zero on 200 yards simply dial this setting in from your 100 zero. Usually an adjustment of 1.75 MOA, or .5 MIL up from the 100 yard setting.

For example, my gun’s scope is zeroed at 100 yards, but I like to carry the gun with my scope set on the MPBR of 275 yards, so I dial .9 MIL up from the 100 yard zero position. If I have time to make further scope adjustments before a shot I make them off the 100 yard zero. Presented with a 500 yard shot, I would then dial an additional 1.7 MIL, or a total of 2.6 MIL up from the 100 yard zero.

All good advice above. Remember, 1 MOA is roughly 1 inch at 100 yards, but it is a measurement of angle, not distance from point of aim, so 1 MOA is about 2” at 200 yards, 9”at 900 yards.

Learn to speak the language of your scope as mentioned above, get good velocity information, and a rock solid 100 yard zero and you will be light years ahead of someone guessing inches and referring to the chart on the back of their box of ammo

Good comments. If you fill out the information correctly the chart should be close. Check out Hornadys 4DOF App. I prefer it. Of course for my target rifle I am using Hornady bullets.

But...you need to shoot at the various ranges to refine the data. After 400 yards it doesn't take much to miss.