Zeiss Victory HT's and the bunny test

ams

WKR
I went ahead and purchased a pair of Zeiss Victory HT's 10x42. I went into a local store and spent about an hour looking through just about everything from Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Vortex, Leupold, and Nikon. I'm no optics guy so bare with my lacking terminology. I simply liked the way the HT's felt. Specifically they felt slightly heavier which I liked and the focusing functions were both accessible with either hand and I did not have to move my eyes of the picture to focus both eyes. ( My eyes 20/40 have their days when I need to adjust both mechanism throughout the day). I mainly compared the Zeiss to the Swarovski El and Slc. All were great but to me the picture through the zeiss was just a bit brighter. I did not care for the EL's as much as I thought I would which suprised me so after a few minutes it was just the HT's and the SLC's. The pictures were just as clear and detailed (in a store) with the HT's being just a bit brighter. There was a slight difference in color it seemed but I won't even try to describe it. Overall the Zeiss just fit my hands and face better and felt better to me. Swarovski also put there diopter on the eyepiece which is what I have used before but I much preferred Zeiss' center diopter for adjustments.

So I purchased the Zeiss and took them out the next week to a wildlife preserve full of birds, bunnies, and coyotes. I compared them to a much less expensive Bushnell Legend HD's. First off, I know these are not in the same class. That being said, the Bushnell's are pretty awesome binos. Yes the zeiss were just a small bit clearer and better color/contrast but I don't think I would be missing any game for most of the daytime hours (I'll find out this season). Now that half hour of dawn/dusk is a different story. The Zeiss really could pick apart details the Bushnell couldn't. I could see birds through both at distances of 50 to 200 yards as I glanced about but with the Zeiss I could faintly see the bugs the birds we're trying to catch.

From about 8:45 pm to 9:15pm I began my official bunny test. Basically I was looking around trying to spot bunnies in tall yellow grass. I could see bunnies through both binos for the first 15 minutes or so but I began to notice that with the Zeiss I was also picking out bunnies I hadn't seen before. Like a bunny behind a bunny or a dark spot another 50 yards off through the Bushnells became a more detailed obvious bunny through the Zeiss. I could see more detail in the fur and they did seem to stand out more through the Zeiss. I look forward to using them in some actual hunting conditions to see what they can do.

I am glad I bought some top tier binos as I feel like there is no upgrade in the near future. I also feel like for others out there thinking they are missing out with lower end glass, nope! Ya these are great but plenty of stuff were spied and died with the bushnells. Now if you're bunny spotting........

I use mine to check on my horses in the pasture behind the house at night. They are anywhere from 50 to 200 yards away. There are time when I LITERALLY cannot see them with my naked eye, but throw up the binos and can see them well enough to id them and make sure all is well. Amazing piece of glass. I am very surprised they dont get talked about more.

Joe

OP
A

ams

WKR
I'm a bit suprised as well. I read alot about swaro, vortex, and meopta here on rokslide but not a whole lot about zeiss. There is a review on here where the individual didn't care for the HT's and felt they were front heavy. I remembered that and expected the same when I tried them. To my suprise they felt the best. To each their own I guess.

I've had my own 10x42 HTs for over 2 years now and still love them.
I was a Swarovski man for years but decided to go with Zeiss because of the then new HT glass and Abbe Konig prisms to allow more light to see a bit better from dawn to dusk.

If Zeiss ever decides to offer a 15x54 HT, I will be getting a pair of those too.
The new Zeiss SF is supposed to be the new King but I'm quite fond of my HTs and can see birds just fine with them. :cool:
I like Swarovski, Leica, and Nikon binoculars too but am really happy with my HTs.

Fireguy

WKR
I too went wit the HT's. Compared them all inside and out and just kept coming back to the HT's. I really like the Razors for the price and warranty. But to my eye, the HT's were the best.