Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 versus Vortex Viper HD 10x42

TXRandy

FNG
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially by anyone who has actually handled or used both of these glasses and compared them. Are the Zeiss worth the extra money? Thanks for the help!

akrdkill

WKR
Fwiw There's a good thread just below this one, Check it out, Check out cameralandny & look at there demos ......personally I think you need to check them out yourself & see which ones fit your eyes better

duchntr

WKR
I think the razor HD would be a better comparison to the Conquest HD then the viper HD,After owning and using both a very slight optical edge goes to the conquest HD, Warranty is lifetime with the vortex and 5 years with the zeiss. Id say try em both keep what you like, cabelas has a really good return policy.

KHNC

WKR
I am a rep for Vortex. Having said that, I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time at the Cabela`s optics counter this year. As mentioned, the Razor HD would be a better comparison to the Conquest. However, I own a set of Viper HD 10x42 as my personal binos. They have done an excellent job for me the last 4 years ive owned them. I have done many side by side comparisons in store to Zeiss , Swaro and Meopta. The Viper HD is a very strong runner compared to the Conquest. Only time I think you would ever notice a difference MIGHT be in very low light conditions. Not one customer that I sold binos to at Cabela`s picked the Conquest over the Viper or Razor after doing side by side comparison. A couple people chose the Swaro EL over the Razor and the Meoptas were never a factor.

dotman

WKR
I am a rep for Vortex. Having said that, I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time at the Cabela`s optics counter this year. As mentioned, the Razor HD would be a better comparison to the Conquest. However, I own a set of Viper HD 10x42 as my personal binos. They have done an excellent job for me the last 4 years ive owned them. I have done many side by side comparisons in store to Zeiss , Swaro and Meopta. The Viper HD is a very strong runner compared to the Conquest. Only time I think you would ever notice a difference MIGHT be in very low light conditions. Not one customer that I sold binos to at Cabela`s picked the Conquest over the Viper or Razor after doing side by side comparison. A couple people chose the Swaro EL over the Razor and the Meoptas were never a factor.

I would take my conquest HD's over the razor, I own the Zeiss and have spent time behind the Razor and I do not regret my Zeiss one bit. They are both great though imo.

If possible try to use th outside for awhile as in store just doesn't give the full picture.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
There are some simple tests you can do in the store when you are evaluating glass. I recommend mapping the glass (checking the edge clarity), finding something with a ton of texture and detail and focusing in on it. (I like to use the eye lashes on mounts at Cabela's) and then do an optical purity test. (turn the glass upside down and look through it at a white sheet of paper. If the white is white, the glass is right.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I chose the conquest hd's over the razor's as well. just thought the image was more crisp.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
In this quandary myself. I looked at both of these tonight in the store. The first set of Razors I looked at I couldn't adjust the right eye enough to fit me. I asked the salesman and he could just barely get them to work for him and said that was normal. I was a bit taken back but then another salesman came up and said there was something wrong with that pair and grabbed another in the back which worked out for me. I liked them and they felt a bit better in the hand than the conquest but the issue with the eye cup had me nervous. Has anybody ran into this issue with vortex before?

Curious what the original poster ended up with?

I tried my friends Razor HD's 10x42's quite a few different times. I was not impressed. I got pretty bad headaches even after adjusting the bino's to my eyes. That being said I have 20-10 in both eyes.

My wife bought me Zeiss Conquest HD's in 10x42 and I couldn't ask for much more without tripling the cost. The Conquest HD's worked very well for me, very clear even in low light conditions, were easily adjustable and I was able to hold them fairly steady. I put them on a friends tripod-WOW! I will be owning my own tripod for next year, made an aboslute world of difference while spotting!

That being said, try out both of them if you can, as your experience may differ from mine. Good luck

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Good timing with the reply. I tried out both sets and couldn't see much difference in clarity. I ended up ordering the Razors and they showed up today. They had a few features I really liked over the Zeiss. The locking right diopter adjustment is really nice and the ergonomics were more pleasing to me than the Zeiss. I'm going on a 4 day wolf hunt this coming week so I'll really be able to test them out.

Both sets were really nice glass for the cost.