Youth boots for AZ elk hunt

7Bartman

WKR
My 11 year old son drew a late season AZ elk tag and I'm having some trouble finding some boots for him. The unit is relatively flat, but I don't want his feet getting cold. I've checked the local retailers (Bass Pro, REI, Dicks, and yes I hate all three). Anyway, I need to find some boots for him. Any recommendations? I'm thinking maybe Merrills or something similar.

I'd look for boots that will work for him more than just a single hunt. Easy enough add more "warmth" to non-insulated boots.

* When stopped for glassing, untie boots and throw in hand/foot warmers (even better with Arctic Shield boot covers or comparable). Added benefits is boots and socks dry out (from sweat) which will keep feet warmer.
* Can also use 1-2 sections from a foam pad for extra insulation for under the boots. Most cold comes from contact with the ground; more insulation the better.
* Do not sit directly on the ground. Have something to act as insulation. Same concept as a sleeping pad: the higher the R value the better (within reason $$$$0).
* Do not over tighten laces. That cuts off blow flow which saps heat.
* Sit properly. If foot angle is wrong, the top part of the boot can cut off circulation which results in the same thing as laces being too tight.
* Worst case bring along a Jet Boil or MSR and make hot beverages throughout the day.

My girlfriend bought a pair of men's oboz with 400g insulation for a cold second season hunt. She seems to be happy with them.

Women's boots from rei. Agree on the jet boil. Kifaru doobie is another game changer for kids. In flagstaff there is mil surplus store that has old sleeping pads. Cut one up and use it for kids seat and something to stand on.