Your hunt setup

Beendare

WKR
Last couple years I shot myself in the foot- literally.
I shoot ILF, and can mix and match limbs….too many combinations really and I’m realizing all of that flip flopping screwed me up. Different draw weights, trajectories- UGG

Yeah, my light 350g arrows are awesome for 3d but then going back to my heavier hunt setup itjus5 wasn’t as intuitive. then I wanted to bump up a little from my old reliable 46/47# setup….too many choices.

This year I am going with the setup I shoot best at the end of this month- Feb and quit screwing around.
Its going to be either my Junxing metal 19” riser or the 19” Stalker wood with G10- i beam riser…

limbs, both Uukha longs; either the SX50 40# or the Selengha 45# somewhere in the 50#-55# at my DL
I will post a pic when I settle.

Are you dialed in yet?

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
I try to tune all my setups to be between 10-11 gpp. I find that I can switch between bows easily due to the arrows having similar trajectory.

My hunting setup is a 19” Satori riser w/ medium Uukhas that are roughly #52 at my draw length. My arrow is about 530 grains (225 up front)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Not dialed in yet, but most of my rigs shoot very similar fps, once I know what tags I draw, I'll pick an appropriate bow and stick to it

GLB

WKR
I have told myself many times that I need to stick to one bow, but I just can’t help myself. Being primarily a longbow guy but love all single string archery I went into the ILFs to try. What a rabbit hole that is, but fun to experiment.

I am settling down to one ILF setup that will be my travel/backup and times when I need a shorter bow. It’s the 56” Bivouac Backland Recurve. I have that dialed in pretty good and my only recurve.

The bows I usually pickup for hunting are between 3 of my 7 longbows. Luckily I can transition between them pretty quick and basically shoot the same arrows.

However 😝 I have a new longbow coming! I want to drop down in weight a little and so I’ll have another bow to play with. 👍

cck311

FNG
I have a light bow setup and a "heavy" bow setup and arrows tuned for both. My light bow is a 41# Shakespeare Tioga shooting arrows that weigh about 430 grains. My "heavy" setup is a 47# Martin Hunter shooting 487 grain arrows. This year I will hunt turkey, Idaho spring bear and doe antelope with my light setup. My heavy setup will see elk and muley action. I will only use the heavy setup on muleys when I'm concurrently hunting elk. If I'm chasing deer on the Wasatch extended season I will be back to using the Shakespeare.

I would love to be a one bow guy, but the Shakespeare is just such a joy to shoot. The Hunter isn't really bad at a mere 47 pounds but the additional 6 pounds of draw weight and more aggressively reflexed limbs make it a bit more stout to draw. I worry that the Shakespeare is a bit light for elk, but it is just sweeter to use for anything smaller.

FLS

WKR
I’ve been shooting the same one for a few years now. I changed arrows since this pic. Shooting Gold Tip Traditionals Classics. The small dia with the outsert. It’s one of the toughest arrows I’ve used and tunes really well for me.
19” Morrison Phoenix riser
Medium Uukhas
Mountain Muffler string
NAP Center Rest

Attachments

• 72D60E46-78B1-483A-88C2-F4EE17A1C899.jpeg
    72D60E46-78B1-483A-88C2-F4EE17A1C899.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 69

Sapcut

WKR
I have a light bow setup and a "heavy" bow setup and arrows tuned for both. My light bow is a 41# Shakespeare Tioga shooting arrows that weigh about 430 grains. My "heavy" setup is a 47# Martin Hunter shooting 487 grain arrows. This year I will hunt turkey, Idaho spring bear and doe antelope with my light setup. My heavy setup will see elk and muley action. I will only use the heavy setup on muleys when I'm concurrently hunting elk. If I'm chasing deer on the Wasatch extended season I will be back to using the Shakespeare.

I would love to be a one bow guy, but the Shakespeare is just such a joy to shoot. The Hunter isn't really bad at a mere 47 pounds but the additional 6 pounds of draw weight and more aggressively reflexed limbs make it a bit more stout to draw. I worry that the Shakespeare is a bit light for elk, but it is just sweeter to use for anything smaller.
Based on what your implying, if you wanted to use the heavier bow and it not feel too stout to draw, just simply draw the bow often and get stronger. Over and over every time you enter the room, draw it, draw it, draw it. It will become less stout quickly. It is the same as any other exercise where the objective is to get stronger. And if it’s not giving you muscle resistance than you are getting weaker. That is why guys keep dropping bow weight. They want an easy to draw bow. Then that easy bow gets harder and harder because they get weaker and weaker. You have to exercise to just keep the strength you have. That is very common with bowholders.

Last edited:

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m so torn right now, I’ve been shooting my Toelke pika 48@28 with axis 500’s, overall I’m at 495 grn and they shoot sweet. I’ve also been flip flopping to my 17” satori with med gobi limbs, it’s right at 46# on my fingers. The bows are almost identical in weight but for some reason I just shoot the recurve better, however I enjoy shooting the longbow more……

cck311

FNG
I’m so torn right now, I’ve been shooting my Toelke pika 48@28 with axis 500’s, overall I’m at 495 grn and they shoot sweet. I’ve also been flip flopping to my 17” satori with med gobi limbs, it’s right at 46# on my fingers. The bows are almost identical in weight but for some reason I just shoot the recurve better, however I enjoy shooting the longbow more……
What do we even do this for? Enjoyment. I would go with the one you enjoy shooting more.

GLB

WKR
I’m quite almost certain that maybe it could be one of these, if not the new one I got coming. 🤣

Attachments

• DC9C08DE-E6EB-4C0C-9945-6DF69045A693.jpeg
    DC9C08DE-E6EB-4C0C-9945-6DF69045A693.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1DF84515-EEA4-488F-A81F-43754D22088B.jpeg
    1DF84515-EEA4-488F-A81F-43754D22088B.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 95
OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Hey GLB…you been to bows anonymous lately? 🤣🤣🤣

Thats what I was doing…but not as nice of a collection. I hope it works better for you than me…..

Reactions: GLB

Blackcow

WKR
Story of my life. I too told myself I’d be done by the end of February and I almost am. Short/long answer is I had an epiphany last fall. I thought about the bow/arrow combinations that I shot the longest, shot the best, had the most confidence in, whatever. I’m not talking like in the last 10 years. I’ve been eat up with archery since I was 5, 1977. The combos were 2 recurves and 1 longbow. 11 gpp, mid to upper 170’s speed wise.
I’ll speak for myself, but it looks like many of you are in the same boat. I’ve never met a bow I didn’t like at least something about. Same with arrows, except h size and micros. I would own every single one ever made I think, and my wife thinks I’ve
tried. 8CCF7160-2A13-4E31-87DA-59A8699B9A03.jpeg9D336B15-8E1A-4F6B-B2E5-BAB593D50AC4.jpeg

Pretty disgusting, and not nearly all of them.These pics aren’t from today, some of them I’ve sold, given away or most likely traded for something else I thought was badass or always wanted to try or I liked the wood combo. Other than doing the ilf thing for awhile, I never bought a bow thinking it would make me a better shot. It was just I have to have that. stupid. I’m a tinkerer if there’s something to tink with. Add in the different arrows I have, I couldn’t go a week with the same setup. I drew a late archery deer tag, and took a Gillo ghost with uukha ex1 evo2 limbs. Shot lights out. Couldn’t look at it propped against a tree without thinking “f*ck that thing is ugly”. Shot a nice buck, sold all of my ilf stuff except my OTHER ghost riser and light longbow limbs. Btw, those ex1’s were the only uukha limbs that didn’t go to shit on me.
Then on to 50’s style, shot my last 2 bulls with toelke 64ss’s, a 2 piece last year and a 1 piece the year before. No more. I actually shoot them less than stellar, I have a difficult time tuning them how I want ( or to the arrow I want to use) and I picked up an odd cant I’m trying to shake.
So here’s where I’m at. I’ve either gotten rid of already or am about to get ship to RMS to sell ( I’m getting tired of posting ads and all it entails) every bow other than 2 Bob Lees that are almost identical, so I have a back up. So No ilf. No light mass weight bows, no bows so pretty I don’t want to scratch the black and white ebony lol. Probably no more longbows.
Absolutely no grips lower than medium wrist that hurt my bum elbow. No bows that I don’t shoot well but “gosh it’s fun to shoot”, unless it’s sentimental. I mean, they’re all fun. If you shoot them well it’s even funner. Trying to figure out “more perfecter”is stressful for me, and a colossal waste of time. Saps 1300 grain arrow isn’t perfect for me, but probably is for him. Beendare, you and I are pretty similar spec wise iirc. You know your old set up you liked? Killed your coues with it? You’ll probably still like it better than anything else. Remember practicing over and over at that yardage to make that exact shot? Probably about as perfect for YOU as you’re going to get. D6CE18EB-0584-4CD3-B2CC-D22B7CBB665B.jpeg This was my last most accurate, confident and Happy setup. 49#@31” Bob Lee bicentennial, 32.5” black eagle renegade w/225 up front (4 blade magnus) 560 grains.

Attachments

• C77BF471-E2AB-4DB9-BCF9-681F55A26FAD.jpeg
    C77BF471-E2AB-4DB9-BCF9-681F55A26FAD.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 69

Sapcut

WKR
Saps 1300 grain arrow isn’t perfect for me, but probably is for him.
Naaa. Just trying to learn what the upper end of arrow mass may be before it inhibits penetration. I like a about 900 grains as a "sweet spot" arrow weight for my bow.

Blackcow

WKR
Oh I know. Seems you’ve been shooting the same Widow for years, too. Which is awesome. And if I remember, it’s what, 65-70? So your sweet spot really isn’t crazy. 13-14gpp. I tore my rotator cuff shooting a buddies compound in 06, but the bow I was shooting at the time was a Martin Vision lb @ 64@31, 2219s a bit over 700 grains, or 11gpp. Which apparently is MY sweet spot I guess. I was more like you, shot basically the same thing for years, tried some stuff off season, went back to what worked before season. Odd, but what started as a perceived need for a similar bow for a back up after a fall, turned into this weird bow/ arrow combination buying thing, that wasn’t warranted on my part at all. It actually just made me worse off in many respects, but better in others I suppose. Like, I know what doesn’t work( for me), and what I just generally dislike, whether it worked okay or not. Pretty expensive way to go about it though.

GLB

WKR
Haa. Yea, I got my Widow PSAX in 2007. [email protected]”. Only bow I have. I’ve thought about how cool it may be to get something like a three piece longbow or something like that. But I think I would regret it. I have a pretty tough and reliable weapon with the Widow.
Hey Sapcut, If that’s the case I would buy a backup set of limbs from BW. Then you wouldn’t need a backup bow just in case. Unless of course you want one 😎