Young kids and camping

Howdy fellas, hoping to tap into the rokslide braintrust for some good tips.

I have a 4 year old daughter, a 1.5 year old daughter and another daughter on the way (due in April). I want to get my oldest camping this year. We may not be able to venture very far from the backyard for a while but I want it to be something fun and she has shown an interest in it.

I need some help/recommendations on what gear works best for kids. I'd like to ease into this obviously but I'm not so scared to drop some money because I have 3 girls to cycle the gear through over the coming years.

So please tell me what has worked for your kids, what kept them comfortable, warm, happy, interested, etc.

There are a few threads on this topic already but here are a few notes from my experience:

I started my 4 kids backpacking as young as 3 years. Here are some things I learned:

- most of camping is inherently appealing to kids (campfire, tent, sleeping bags, creeks, chipmunks, camping food, etc.) just expose your kids and their hooked. All you can do is ruin their experience through impatience, nagging, etc. unfortunately I’ve seen it :(

- kid size sleeping bags are no good. I’ve bought premium (mountain hardwear) kids bags and could have got down adult bags that were just as warm, just as lightweight, compact, and wouldn’t be outgrown.

- Do get kids sized backpacks! REI has offered great fitting small daypacks for 3-8 year olds. Osprey makes great 38, 50, and 75 liter packs that fit 8-adult.

- I got my young kids each their own camping cup and wrote their names on them with sharpies. I buckled the cup handle into my kids’ pack belts and filled them with trail mix and that was a big hit on the trail

- I let my young kids play as long as they want at each creek crossing. For 3 year olds, we’ve taken 8 hours to go 4 miles over easy trail. No problem—bring a kindle.

- any food works. My kids love ramen, instant oatmeal, non spicy freeze dried, etc. they’ll eat anything camping.

- get some darn tough kids socks. Those go from kid to kid indefinitely.

Have fun and enjoy the slow life. Ten years down the road you’ll stroll into camp to find the tent set up, fire going, and dinner almost ready..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Start by car camping somewhere away from everybody where you can have a small campfire and maybe catch some fish. Where do you live?

We live in SC. I was planning on doing a few trips in the backyard first. We have a firepit and a large enough yard to make it work. If that isn't a complete disaster, we have a family farm down the road 15 minutes or so for our next few adventures. May even start at the farm, who knows?

First couple camp trips with my girls were to a "ready made" campsite. Complete with a fire pit bathroom etc. Didn't see the need to rough it right out of the gate and leave a bad taste in their mouth. Eventually we will get into some real camping but the glamping helps test out your systems and let them get a feel for it.

The Big Agnes wolverine is a solid bag for young kids. Mainly that it attaches to their sleeping pad. My 4-year-old spins like a top and would be on the cold ground all night without it.

He has certain items that are camping specific. Toys, pajamas, cups, spork, etc. That makes it more special and the fact he can look forward to using his camping stuff makes him really look forward to trips. He really gets a kick out of mountain house meals. We just got him a couple mtn house biscuits and gravy for his birthday and he was pumped. We almost always make him that at least once while on a camping trip.

Depending on where you live and how quiet they're used to sleeping, bringing a sound machine to cover up the sounds of nature and/or a campground is worth it. Everyone can be their own judge on the safety of using a sound machine to sleep in nature based on their specific situation.

There are a few threads on this topic already but here are a few notes from my experience:

I started my 4 kids backpacking as young as 3 years. Here are some things I learned:

- most of camping is inherently appealing to kids (campfire, tent, sleeping bags, creeks, chipmunks, camping food, etc.) just expose your kids and their hooked. All you can do is ruin their experience through impatience, nagging, etc. unfortunately I’ve seen it :(

- kid size sleeping bags are no good. I’ve bought premium (mountain hardwear) kids bags and could have got down adult bags that were just as warm, just as lightweight, compact, and wouldn’t be outgrown.

- Do get kids sized backpacks! REI has offered great fitting small daypacks for 3-8 year olds. Osprey makes great 38, 50, and 75 liter packs that fit 8-adult.

- I got my young kids each their own camping cup and wrote their names on them with sharpies. I buckled the cup handle into my kids’ pack belts and filled them with trail mix and that was a big hit on the trail

- I let my young kids play as long as they want at each creek crossing. For 3 year olds, we’ve taken 8 hours to go 4 miles over easy trail. No problem—bring a kindle.

- any food works. My kids love ramen, instant oatmeal, non spicy freeze dried, etc. they’ll eat anything camping.

- get some darn tough kids socks. Those go from kid to kid indefinitely.

Have fun and enjoy the slow life. Ten years down the road you’ll stroll into camp to find the tent set up, fire going, and dinner almost ready..

There’s a lot of good info here and I had similar experiences with my kids. A big part of getting kids camping is just getting them camping. You’ll continue to refine your process. One thing to be aware of is that kid sized bags are smaller so there’s less internal volume for the kid to have to keep warm with their body heat. So there’s something to be said for going kid size and then upgrading when they get older.

Drenalin

WKR
Before you buy any piece of gear for them, consider the likelihood of them being able to destroy it. Until they start backpacking, I’d opt for tough gear, regardless of weight.

Kids sleep cold and don’t stay on pads well. The bigger the better, and bring extra blankets.

Don’t overthink activities or snacks. Kids will play in a creek for hours or completely skip great fishing to chase crawdads. I’ve seen a 3-ft tall stump occupy a half dozen or more boys for a couple of hours. They will ignore your gourmet campfire dessert in favor of just snacking on the individual ingredients.

My daughter started camping with me in the backyard at 3 and took to it right away. We do a couple overnight trips together each year (she’s about to turn 7). My son at 3 is too restless for a tent to contain him; I’d advise patience, but admittedly have trouble practicing it when he’s streaking across a tent and bouncing off the walls like a pro wrestler. But he’s real excited to camp because he sees how much I and his sister enjoy it; so keep a positive attitude if you want them to have a positive attitude about it.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of great tips above. We’ve had good luck with Gregory packs, Kuiu youth line is great once they get a little older, all kids hiking boots are trash for real hiking unfortunately. Started taking my girls caribou hunting at 3 years old. Always brought one of these. It’ll prevent soiled clothes and ruined trips.

CMF

WKR
I think camping comes easier to kids than it does to most adults. I think we've lived longer with the comforts of home, where the kids don't give it much thought cause they're exploring and there is so much new going on.
I don't think you need anything special for camping close to home or car camping, we just have cheapo sleeping bags and pads for the kids right now, and we've used them for car camping and backcountry camping.
I guess some kids may be different, but I'm always cold before they are.
I only wish we started taking them more when they were younger... we didn't camp a lot until my youngest, now 9 was about 4 or 5.
I would skip straight to going somewhere away from home, even if it's 15 minutes away, then it's less tempting to call it quits and retreat to the house.
When they are ready to backpack, check out the Western Edge Gear packs, we have two of them and they work great.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Take them tent camping at a state park or recreational area that has designated tent sites, fire pit, bathroom, etc. They will love it and it’s how I got hooked on the outdoors at age 3. Did my first backpacking trip with my dad when I was 5.

schmalzy

WKR
Take them tent camping at a state park or recreational area that has designated tent sites, fire pit, bathroom, etc. They will love it and it’s how I got hooked on the outdoors at age 3. Did my first backpacking trip with my dad when I was 5.

Not knocking this but I did the opposite; started my boy off in a tipi in the National Forest without facilities or anything. He doesn’t know any different now and thinks it’s normal.

All that to say, I think you can’t go wrong if you keep them warm, fed with good snacks they don’t normally get and making it about the kid having fun.

Northpark

WKR
Two kids. A few items I can think of are just get good adult sleeping bags for them and good sleeping pads. Otherwise I find that kids will sleep about anywhere once they are tired enough. All the good old fashion basics like campfires, s’mores, marshmallows, lanterns all draw interest. Let them explore the woods too. Try not to helicopter parent. Make sure you take PJs for sleeping, and if they have a special stuffed animal or something take it. Penguino the desert penguin got carried in 3 miles by my 7 year old a couple weeks ago during deer season.8F469003-4E6E-4055-832D-FFB54F8E7B23.jpeg

All of the above are great. The biggest issue I had was with them wandering off in the middle of the night to go take a whiz. Until they get old enough to where they actually don't sleep walk over to do that slap a glowstick on their jacket/pj's. Literally had mine walk out of the tent at 4 o'clock in the morning in the gila with no head lamp.

3 other items are
1. they roll around a lot when sleeping having something that has the bag and pad held together was a must for my youngest.
2. Jet boil for hot chocolate at all times
3. Kifaru doobie or woobie for keeping them warm during stationary sessions glassing et cetera

Remember it's about them having fun and you will make memories that will last a lifetime.

hunterjmj

WKR
We set up the wall tent this summer in our yard and camped for a week. Got them each a cot and sleeping bag. Our girls didn't want to sleep in the house after that. Make sure they are warm, dry and have plenty of snacks. We do a lot of shed hunting but hikes need to be short and fun. They notice stuff we take for granted, it's fun to enjoy as well. I got my oldest a doorgunner pack this year and she wants to pack stuff so make sure you include them on all aspects. Make it fun, short and comfortable.

Before you buy any piece of gear for them, consider the likelihood of them being able to destroy it. Until they start backpacking, I’d opt for tough gear, regardless of weight.

Kids sleep cold and don’t stay on pads well. The bigger the better, and bring extra blankets.

Don’t overthink activities or snacks. Kids will play in a creek for hours or completely skip great fishing to chase crawdads. I’ve seen a 3-ft tall stump occupy a half dozen or more boys for a couple of hours. They will ignore your gourmet campfire dessert in favor of just snacking on the individual ingredients.

My daughter started camping with me in the backyard at 3 and took to it right away. We do a couple overnight trips together each year (she’s about to turn 7). My son at 3 is too restless for a tent to contain him; I’d advise patience, but admittedly have trouble practicing it when he’s streaking across a tent and bouncing off the walls like a pro wrestler. But he’s real excited to camp because he sees how much I and his sister enjoy it; so keep a positive attitude if you want them to have a positive attitude about it.
This.

100%.

Been there, am there (5 year old daughter who started at 3, the 2yo boy...off the wall stoked and running everywhere.

They have more fun throwing the damn marshmallows in the creek than making a smore.

Edit: damn I feel like I stalked you in my postings tonight:LOL:

I started my nephew and nieces at about your oldest child age with camping fishing trips. They all loved it and still have very fond memories. It's all about making and keeping it fun and enjoyable for them. You have to be able to keep them warm; on one trip I needed to drop some serious elevation to keep them warm. So in short, you need to remain flexible.

I very quickly realized that my Nephew and Nieces never opened the refrigerator at home; their mom, my sister literally did everything for them. So I quickly established food and drink rules (they needed to ask, and I did not want them full just before dinner) and taught them to make their own PBJ's.

Drenalin

WKR
They have more fun throwing the damn marshmallows in the creek than making a smore.
My boy could give a rip about s’mores, he won’t hold still long enough to eat one anyway. He sets his marshmallows on fire, and no matter how many blue flame balls of sugar I snatch away from his open mouth, he still thinks he can eat them that way. He’s not stupid, but apparently some kids have no instinct for self preservation.