Xtherm in summer?

*zap*

WKR
I don’t disagree with having different items for different purposes. I just disagree with not using something you own to “preserve” it. Just fundamentally different ways of going about things.
I never said to not use something that was necessary to preserve it. Spin it as you like...

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Xterm in long/wide is close to three bills.
Doesn't really change my point at all if it's 200 or 280. How much is your optics/pack/rifle/tent/boots/clothes? Still seems silly to me to not use something because of being worried about wear and tear. If it's a weight thing that's a different scenario, I buy things to use them, but @DakotaBPNW is already making that point

*zap*

WKR
Your comments have no point.

I do not wear my winter boots or clothes in summer. I have summer boots and clothes for that just as I have a summer sleep pad and bag. If all I could afford was one pad or pack I would use that all the time also. I see no point in using a $300 r-7 pad in summer when I can use a different pad just so I can say 'I buy gear to use it'. That makes no sense at all. I never said do not use an xtherm when you need the insulation.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Your comments have no point.

I do not wear my winter boots or clothes in summer. I have summer boots and clothes for that just as I have a summer sleep pad and bag. If all I could afford was one pad or pack I would use that all the time also. I see no point in using a $300 r-7 pad in summer when I can use a different pad just so I can say 'I buy gear to use it'. That makes no sense at all. I never said do not use an xtherm when you need the insulation.
Oh please, yours have equally no point. OP is asking if the pad is ok to use in summer, which it is, and tends to indicate they don't want to buy more than one pad. Instead of confirming that yes, laying on top of extra insulation in summer won't make you hotter, and it'll work fine as long as you don't mind the weight penalty, you're bloviating about how you have more than one pad so don't use this one to save wear and tear. Good for you. OP has heard both of our opinions more than once now, but by all means fire away another reply trying to make yourself look more correct. Like I said, weird flex in my opinion. Continuing to do it isn't changing that opinion, goodnight.

Back to OP's actual question, no you don't need an insulated pad for summer, but you'll likely want one for winter. Therefore if the budget only allows one pad, get an insulated one, and you'll be fine using it in the summer. Or listen to zap and get two, I guess.

*zap*

WKR
I second the 'listen to zap' thought. I think purchasing a under $100 pad along with an xtherm is money well spent if you do lots of year round camping.

*zap*

WKR
Instead of confirming that yes, laying on top of extra insulation in summer won't make you hotter, and it'll work fine as long as you don't mind the weight penalty, you're bloviating about how you have more than one pad so don't use this one to save wear and tear. Good for you.
I never mentioned what I own in my original comment, just gave my opinion. You said I was afraid to use my gear so I would preserve it which is far from true so I clarified my opinion. No bloating on my end. ;)

Guys does anyone use there xtherm pad in the summer or will it be to hot? Do I need to buy a I insulated pad?
My understanding of r-value is it is a rating of a thermal barrier. When two objects are in contact, heat will transfer from hot to cold until the two objects are an equal temperature. If you sleep on the cold ground, your body heat will move to the cold ground. It draws away your body heat. If you have a high r-value barrier between you and the cold ground, it will stop your heat from transferring. It would protect you just the same if you were laying on, for example, hot asphalt. The heat from the asphalt would want to transfer to your lower heat temperature body. A high r-value thermal barrier would stop that. In that case, high r-value would actually keep you cooler. A down sleeping bag traps heat. A high r-value sleeping pad prevents the transfer of heat.

Unless it is really hot and you will be depending on cooler ground to help cool you overall, I doubt the high r-value pad will be a factor. Your sleeping bag or cover will be the main factor.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Xterm in long/wide is close to three bills.
Wow.......they have sure shot up. I bought my LW on sale for $125 when retail was closer to $170 I think. Three bills.......sheesh. That's crazy.

I use my Xtherm from late spring through early fall with my 0 degree quilt. I tried the Xtherm Lite one time in July in the high country with the same quilt, and I was cold all night. Sold that thing.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I have been too hot on my XTherm several times, however I tend to run hot for the first hour or two of the night, even at home. These days it stays home in hot weather & I bring a different pad. But it's money in the cold!

Braaap

WKR
I’ve slept indoors on the floor of a house with my Xtherm and was fine and I sleep hot. I bought a less insulated therm a rest last year for summer and froze on a backpack trip. Im going back to Xtherm year round.

I used my x-therm a few times last summer with a 30* EE down quilt. Way too hot until it cooled off later in the night, very hard to go to sleep. Probably going to try to patch an older REI pad if I can find the puncture or buy a cheapo for summer.

*zap*

WKR
You can immerse a pad in water to find a small leak or the local tire shop guy should be able to find it for a few buck tip.

You can immerse a pad in water to find a small leak or the local tire shop guy should be able to find it for a few buck tip.
I'm concerned it's a heat-induced seam failure. Waiting for my apartment complex to take the pool cover off, that seems easier than trying to deal with it in my bathtub haha.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I slept on my Xtherm NXT last week here in Hawaii. Temp was right around 60 for a low and I was not too hot with just a comforter on top of me. Best part with that new NXT is at 3" thick I never touched the ground as a side sleeper after letting a little air out for comfort, plus it's relatively quiet.

Braaap

WKR
I used my x-therm a few times last summer with a 30* EE down quilt. Way too hot until it cooled off later in the night, very hard to go to sleep. Probably going to try to patch an older REI pad if I can find the puncture or buy a cheapo for summer.
To me that sounds like your quilt was too hot but who knows. I have a 35 degree bag that’s way too hot in the summer.

To me that sounds like your quilt was too hot but who knows. I have a 35 degree bag that’s way too hot in the summer.
Yeah I didn't even have the quilt on when trying to fall asleep. With just baselayers on my back was sweating. It was probably in the 80's. Don't think I grabbed the quilt until after midnight.

Tick

WKR
I sweat against the xtherm on nights above 40. I'm more comfortable on an uninsulated pad in warm weather.