XC Ski’s in Lieu of Snowshoes - Looking for input / setup I can use with hunting boots

USMC22

WKR

@Holmes saw your post about the snowshoes… I’m in New England and have been using snowshoes a long time. Always looked into xc skiing as a means to scout / hunt. Would these work well? Read your article they seem to have some of the features you recommend.

dgkula

FNG
I'm in NE as well (metro west) and I've done a lot of skiing with various setups: XC, tele, mountaineering, downhill. I also have snowshoes.

I think the challenge is that boots need to mount to the skis to give you control over the skis and I dont think you are likely to find a mount for hunting boots. The skis you linked to do have a snowboard boot binding but in my experience snowboard boots are going to be larger than typical hunting boots.

Now if you want to scout a normal pair of XC skis with NNN bindings would be my choice.

A boot like this https://www.rei.com/product/892159/alpina-alaska-bc-cross-country-ski-boots
and a ski like the fischer s-bound https://www.fischersports.com/us_en/s-bound-112-crown/dual-skin-xtralite-2392?c=5372
would be a good setup. I use similar fischer skis (outtabounds, no longer in production) with a "duck bill" low 2 buckle tele boot (no longer made) and 3 pin bindings. Good mix of glide on the flats and seat of your pants control when blasting down hiking trails.

Good luck!

dgkula

FNG
I would also add that if buying skis I would absolutely buy them used without hesitation. Buy the boots new and try them on. If you need any help with ski length for your height/weight LMK.

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
I'm in NE as well (metro west) and I've done a lot of skiing with various setups: XC, tele, mountaineering, downhill. I also have snowshoes.

I think the challenge is that boots need to mount to the skis to give you control over the skis and I dont think you are likely to find a mount for hunting boots. The skis you linked to do have a snowboard boot binding but in my experience snowboard boots are going to be larger than typical hunting boots.

Now if you want to scout a normal pair of XC skis with NNN bindings would be my choice.

A boot like this https://www.rei.com/product/892159/alpina-alaska-bc-cross-country-ski-boots
and a ski like the fischer s-bound https://www.fischersports.com/us_en/s-bound-112-crown/dual-skin-xtralite-2392?c=5372
would be a good setup. I use similar fischer skis (outtabounds, no longer in production) with a "duck bill" low 2 buckle tele boot (no longer made) and 3 pin bindings. Good mix of glide on the flats and seat of your pants control when blasting down hiking trails.

Good luck!
Thanks, I’m looking into those now. I’m 5’7’, 200 at the moment but usually run leaner

dgkula

FNG
They would work and give you much more glide than snowshoes! They are wider than the "traditional" XC skis to give you some float in fresh snow and the base has fishscales that help with climbing. I have a pair of the predecessor skis and also have full length skins I can put on them so I can climb anything.

They are a little short for your weight optimal gliding - I'm on the 179cm at 180lb - and the fischer size chart says 189cm for >185lb. That range is 20cm so only about 8 inches. If you are looking for day-long long flat ski trips I might go narrower and longer to get better glide while still giving you the climbing of the fishscales. I have a pair of old school 203cm with flat bases that I wax for grip that I would use on a flat day trip to just glide, glide, glide. If your trips are shorter and rolly with up/down then shorter skis will probably be fine. I use the 179cm for skiing up and down conservation land locally.

Would be good to get NNN boots and see if you can give them a spin and see how you like them.

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
@dgkula thanks, I was looking on the weight ratings after posting. I may pick up a pair of the fisher s-bounds and am looking at the shoe recommendation you sent.

Gotta get up to speed on the bindings / boots.

dgkula

FNG
Something like this could work as well at half the cost:

Depends on the terrain. If youre bushwhacking, I'd go shorter and wider (like the ones from craigslist). If youre on fire roads go longer and skinnier (like the ebay skis).

At the end of the day if you have comfortable boots really any ski between 189 - 169 will be OK to bang around in the woods unless you want to go to the olympics!

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
@dgkula thanks! Mainly bushwhacking, varied terrain - not white mountains but varied and mostly woods. If you see me on the olympics it would be as a spectator for sure lol

dgkula

FNG
@USMC22 definitely look at modern boots/bindings and get some advice from a ski store. I was just looking and it seems like there are some newer systems that are good for backcountry like Rottefella Xplore bindings. I havent bought skis in 20 years so my knowledge of bindings is dated - all my stuff is 75mm duckbill!

I picked up a used pair of Black Diamond GuideLites with a universal binding. I am not very good on these. I feel less efficient than I do on snow shoes.

dgkula

FNG
I think that Universal Binding isnt doing anyone any favors.

Get a proper XC boot and XC binding and youll be able to control the ski. That binding just keeps em attached to your feet - doesnt look like it offers much control ...

On the subject of short skies I've messed with the Altai Hok Ski's with universal bindings. They are fun in the woods, but have terrible directional control on hardpack (like a snowmachine trail) and poor glide on an established ski route. I decided they weren't worth the trouble for any of my uses, although in the right application they would work.

I ended up preferring longer "BC Nordic" skis in the 80-90mm width range and ~190 cm long. Equal float, and better glide and directional control from the additional length. Several brands have removal underfoot skins that are handy in steep ground or pulling a pulk. My current set are Fischer brand "88's" with nordic BC bindings and boots. A good NNN BC boot has enough tread to work as a hiking boot for short distances, so you aren't completely handicapped when you take them off.

I've successfully used them for a couple of caribou hunts and my friends have used other brands (Rossignol, etc) in similar styles for the same purpose.