X5b/ a9 tag.

• Thread starter Deleted member 8-15-23
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 8-15-23

I will draw this bow tag with 14 pts. Any insight would be great. Plan on hunting till I tag out. 150 plus? Thx

Rob5589

WKR
What did your research tell you before you decided on that tag? Must have been good enough to burn your points on.

I would set your expectations to hunt a mature buck. Lots of old deer are not going to be 150” in that zone. Enjoy having very very few other hunters on the unit, spend time scouting. You can hunt low sagebrush, middle of the mountain, or deep in the backcountry on the Sierra crest. Not very many deer for how expansive the country is. Have fun.

WKR

WKR
Research says its the hardest deer tag to draw in CA so there will be 80" deer behind every tree

I thought the new site regs said no more unit specific titles or posts

I’m sure they’ll get to it eventually, hard to mod while everyone is still learning the rules I’m sure. I don’t envy what they do, even though it’s appreciated. Hope the OP reports back after the hunt, a good CA story is a rarity.

I've hunted the zone a few times long ago. But as someone irroneously stated, the zone is not close to the Sierras. In all that time that has passed, not much has changed. But considering the forum rules, I'll wait to see where this goes before I consider dispensing any info other than the archery season is almost always hot and very dry with primarily resident deer. Archery is a very very tough hunt in the zone. But very very hot does have an advantage, if you can endure it while hunting hard. I've hunted the zone in sustained 115 degree weather. From my perspective the hotter the better during archery season.

To the OP, best of luck!

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
The zone is not what it once was, 150 yeah they are there, most are shot on private ranches now, do your homework, find water

Big Ern

WKR
If you want a 150 buck it can be done on private land or deep in backcountry.

It can be a brutal hunt with tough weather at times. Deer densities not that great.

OP
D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Sorry guys, didn't know the rules about posting unit #s.

Reactions: WKR
OP
D

Deleted member 8-15-23

What did your research tell you before you decided on that tag? Must have been good enough to burn your points on.
It takes the most pts. Of any x zone to draw rifle or ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.