Wyoming region W solo hunt?

AndrewK21

FNG
I recently returned from Wyoming and hunted region W. The group I went with wants to go back in 2 years. With prior commitments I'd really have to kiss up to the wife to make that happen. Question is would it be smart for a guy to wait a year and try it solo. It would only be my 2nd trip anywhere out west and I would like to hear some opinions on whether it's a good idea or try to recruit one more guy. Thanks

I do most of my western hunts solo. I grew up in NM and hunted by myself all the time so no different now that I live in Missouri. I will be doing a solo 3rd season deer hunt in Colorado next month.

It is definitely different and you have to make sure you have all your own gear. For my solo hunts I prefer to have a base camp and either do day hunts or short one to two nighters out from there. I have done week long backpack solo hunts and just get bored.
A couple things to consider
- positive attitude is important. Don’t talk yourself out of hunting hard and not giving up.
- find things to do during downtime like shop wood, read, etc.
- a trip into the nearest town can be nice if you want to talk to people
- talk to other hunters you see. I met a guy who is now a great friend on a mountain and even thought we live a long ways apart we have done a couple hunts together.
-InReach or similar off grid comm device is a must.

Best of luck. You will know in one trip if solo trips are for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
A

AndrewK21

FNG
Thank you sir. Can I ask what type of shelters your running then. My initial thought was setting up a camp and then hiking in from there. The inreach is definitely on my list now. Good luck in Colorado sounds like a fun trip.

cgasner1

WKR
Deer would be a great game animal to start on solo not near the worm for breaking and packing and much higher odds of success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AndrewK21

FNG
Deer would be a great game animal to start on solo not near the worm for breaking and packing and much higher odds of success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally crazy for wanting to try it.

Thank you sir. Can I ask what type of shelters your running then. My initial thought was setting up a camp and then hiking in from there. The inreach is definitely on my list now. Good luck in Colorado sounds like a fun trip.

I run a Davis wall tent for base camp. I enjoy the tent and having the wood stove when weather is bad. For the overnights I use a Zpacks Hexomid Plus DCF flourless shelter. I am getting up there in age so minimal weight is important to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Grab a motel in one of the small downs or live out of the truck bed if mild weather. Terrain is fairly mild ans the unit is heavily roaded. If you get hurt or something there will always be another hunter within a few hundred yards of you just about everywhere in the unit 😂

OP
A

AndrewK21

FNG
This is what I'm leaning towards. At least at first. This western hunting starts adding up in a hurry trying to have everything yourself. Thanks for the tips.

mobertok

FNG
Hi Andrew. I hunted region W in 2021 solo. It had been 28 years since I had been there. I was still semi recovering from Covid, I was in the hospital for 20 days, 2 weeks in ICU. This was in March 2021. I told myself while I was in the hospital, if I can do it, I'm going back. So I recovered well enough to make the trip. I put in for it again this year but probably won't get drawn. My second choice was region Y and will probably get drawn. I did the special tag. I think it's worth it, we are only here for a little while, might as well enjoy.