Wyoming General Deer success

After a 9 day backpack hunt I was able to get it done on this awesome buckk. 6 days solo then my good buddy ended up coming in and helping me the last 3 days and we backpacked into a different spot. There was a lot of ups and downs. The first hardship was when I first got to the trailhead and was making sure I had all my equipment together I noticed I could not find my backpacking stove and I wasn't about to drive an hour and a half to go get another one so I started taking tally of granola bars and beef sticks. Which I had 42 granola bars and 40 beef sticks I figured if I rationed everything I could eat four granola bars a day and three beef sticks a day n that would keep me at about a thousand calories a day and as long as I stayed on the ridge where my vantage point and my camp was at I can make that work for 7 days.I had a particular buck that I was after never did turn him up and was socked in with fog and rain the first couple days. I did turn up a good Buck day three and try to get on him ended up missing a long shot and then had some technical difficulties with my rifle my firing pin was stuck and had to pull my bolt apart and had to watch the buck that I had missed for 10 minutes while I sat there and cleaned my bolt. Then someone else fired from up on the ridge and missed him twice then that buck ran away and I never saw him again. Then as I sat there still messing with my bolt and making sure that the firing pan was working about 15 yards in front of me a buck came walking right in front of me with his tongue hanging out to the side like he just got done around in a marathon. Of course me messing with my gun I didn't have a round in the chamber and had my rifle in across my lap trying to decide whether I should try and shoot him or let him walk. I thought screw it I'm going to go for it so I went to chamber a round and as I did he took off running I jumped up and ran after him and took a quick shot which I knew I probably wasn't going to make. I knew it was a clean mess but I still followed him up and checked for blood there was no blood there I also went and checked were at the buck that I take the long shot at and followed his tracks and seen where I shot At him and it was a clean mess as well.It was a long hunt after that as I didn't see hardly any mature mule deer bucks. I met up with my buddy day 6 and we hiked further back in there. The morning of day 9 we glassed a few basins didn't see any big bucks then I went over the ridge to Glass another basin. Then 450 yards away was this mature 3-point buck that I had seen the day before the season and I decided to take him. He's not the one I was after but I'm extremely happy with him as he's a mature buck and the biggest three-point I've ever seen. I scored him and he scored a little over 170. He's 29 and 1/2 in wide and heavy. A close examination of his teeth which were extremely worn down you could tell he was an old deer.

OP
Buckslayer307
Been trying to post pictures for some reason it won't let me

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-04-05-32-59-218.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-04-05-32-59-218.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 403
  • Screenshot_2022-10-04-05-32-42-214.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-04-05-32-42-214.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Screenshot_2022-10-04-05-32-30-876.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-04-05-32-30-876.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 402
  • Screenshot_2022-10-03-16-12-55-269.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-03-16-12-55-269.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 406

wytx

WKR
Heck yeah, that's a nice buck !
Would like to know the age on that big 3, any chance you sent teeth in? WG&F needs to know mature bucks are getting taken, CWD isn't killing all of them by age 4.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck, OP.

I passed on a heavy, symmetrical 3 x 3 years ago on a hunt in the Shoshone. Possibly other hunters had previously glassed him up and passed as there were nicer, larger bucks in the area most years. I dreamed of that buck a couple of times as I only glassed him for about 5 minutes as a snow squall was forming to our west. He was bedded across a ravine on a bench and was large-bodied. I never could grow any more tines on him but tried as I briefly glassed then saddled up and tried to get off the ridges before the wind and snow picked up.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
170+" three point is nothing to scoff at. Beauty of a buck!