Wyoming elk hunt decision help...

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
Next year I'll have 14 elk points for Wyoming and I think it might be time to start thinking about using them. A couple big decisions I need to make are whether I should go with a guide or DIY, and what unit(s) should I focus my attention on? Generally I lean towards DIY. I've hunted elk DIY in Colorado and Idaho but never Wyoming. With 14 points on the line I'm kind of leaning towards a guided or semi-guided hunt this round. So my question is, if you had 14 points to put towards a Wyoming archery elk hunt what would you do, guided or DIY? If guided does anyone have any outfitter recommendations? Thanks all!

You need to quit factoring in the points. It really has no basis on what type of hunt you will enjoy.

What type of hunt do you like? what are your goals, what is your confidence level?

I like controlling my own situation and take pride in DIY so for those reasons I'm never much interested in guided hunts.

But I also couldn't give much care to shooting a certain score or a top end bull in the unit.

To me any decent six will do regardless of the points.
For me a higher point unit would just mean most likely more bulls, less pressure making them easier to get on and maybe me having enough confidence to not shoot the first rag.

For me as id probably only consider a guide for access to wilderness, horses or targeting a top tier bull.

j_volt

WKR
I agree that it depends on your goals/desires/financial situation.

If I was in your shoes, I would do both... I would use my bucket of points to go DIY in 2024. However, I would call a Thorofare outfitter of your choice and get on their list, and then go back to Wyoming guided whenever the outfitter will let you.

What is your goal? Just good hunting for bulls to 320 or so or are you looking for what could be your bull of a lifetime?

If you’re looking for a monster I’d say guided just for the private land access. If you’re happy with a 320-330ish bull I’d go DIY in a unit that had lots of public. Myself I’d go DIY and pre scout during the summer. The other thing about guided is you only hunt 4-6 days. Yuk! My DIY hunt would be for 2 weeks!

wytx

WKR
I'd find a LQ area that has both rifle and archery hunting and spend a good bit of time hunting it in Sept and come back for rifle if needed.
If you only get 1 trip out then pick your preferred season and hunt it for as long as you can.

Outfitter might be willing to maybe offer a deal if you share your PPs with another hunter he has booked.

We have big bulls all over the state, plenty of DIY areas to find one.

Whip

WKR
DIY without a doubt. 14 points is way too many to waste on a 5-7 day guided hunt. I'd want a minimum of two weeks, more if you can afford them.
You could certainly do worse than take cnelk up on his offer.😉

Cwright5

FNG
If you are not from the area and have not hunted elk before, I would hire an outfitter. A little bit of knowledge in an area can make or break a hunt. Most units in Wyoming allow you to come back in rifle season if you are not successful on the archery hunt so you could always come back on a DIY. I would recommend Trails West Outfitters.

OP
McCree

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
What is your goal? Just good hunting for bulls to 320 or so or are you looking for what could be your bull of a lifetime?

If you’re looking for a monster I’d say guided just for the private land access. If you’re happy with a 320-330ish bull I’d go DIY in a unit that had lots of public. Myself I’d go DIY and pre scout during the summer. The other thing about guided is you only hunt 4-6 days. Yuk! My DIY hunt would be for 2 weeks!
Well a bull of a lifetime would be awesome but honestly I think a DIY 320 with a bow would be more rewarding. I've hunted elk DIY several times and don't have anything of that caliber to show for it. I'm in Indiana but my family and I like summer camping trips out west. I'm leaning toward coordinating a family trip for scouting and planning 2-3 weeks for a DIY hunt. I agree on the 4-6 day limitations for a guided trip, especially compiled with the $6-10k price tag. I don't mind spending $ on hunting but there are several hunts on my list that would earn the funding before elk. Thanks for the input!