Wyoming antelope units

JEck

WKR
So I’m looking to go to Wyoming next year on an antelope hunt. I will have three points, and am looking for some advice on what unit to put in for. I’m not looking for anything huge by any means, just looking to go up there and harvest a buck, size doesn’t really matter. Probably will be a rifle hunt, and am just wondering what unit would be best as far as public access goes. I’ve done quite a bit of research and have a few units in mind, but was just looking for some input. Any advice helps! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
The hunt selector map on WY website has the percentage of private vs public and notes about access and such. also tell you how many points it takes to draw. Then you can go to the WY website and look at the actual draw results, harvest results, and know what it took last year. A good way to kill some time and figure stuff out.

You should be able to do an okay hunt on 3 points.

I was trying to get drawn on a specific hunt (missed 2 yrs running and the points keep jumping) but buddies weren't fully onboard and that 90/10 crap came out so booked a guide for next year. They guys are happier and we're spending like 3x what DIY costs. We'll be hunting private land in easy draw units - cause there is minimal huntable public. Expecting a quick but fun hunt on private. We have 4 points each right now.

EdP

WKR
Way too soon to tell. You will have time to decide, and the info needed, before the application deadline of May 31, 2023. Eventually the 2023 quotas proposed by F&G will be approved by the legislature and available. You can compare them to the 2022 quotas to get an idea of how 2023 draw odds will compare with the 2022 odds. Then, with the 2022 draw odds, you can get a decent idea what units you are likely to draw a 2023 tag. Meanwhile, most of the info you need to determine access to lands open to the public is available from the WF&G website. I say "most" because the walk in areas can and do change year to year so you can't be sure of them. It also doesn't hurt to look at quotas and odds from years prior to 2022 to see trends.

Note: If you do the digging necessary to see what F&G is doing, they first publish "proposed" quotas, but that is just the quotas from the previous year. Don't get excited about them. Next they will publish the real proposed quotas - you can tell by the redline mark-up. That's what will go to the legislature and most likely be accepted.

FWIW, my experience is that public access does not have to be great to have a fun hunt and take a buck. Even the small sections of public (BLM, State, Walk-in) that are only a square mile or 1 1/2 mile hold antelope. Just get out of the truck and cover some ground on foot.

Last edited:

406life

Lil-Rokslider
EDP is on point with his thoughts. You can put together your top 10 list and then wait until spring to see how the everything checks out. You'll also want to consider how the winter treats certain units. You can easily plan on going next year, if you want to spend the points, but actual unit will be unknown. I expect lower population numbers, fewer license, and an increase in apps and point spending. All that adds up to harder to draw licenses and more difficult hunting. That wouldn't discourage me (hasn't for several years for WY antelope), but it is a reality to consider.

OP
JEck

JEck

WKR
Thanks for the information. When I look at the harvest info for most of these units, it’s usually around 80ish percent. From everything I’ve read on here and elsewhere, it seems like most guys say that you can almost guarantee an antelope unless you choose not to shoot, is that what you guys would say too? It also seems like most guys have better luck hiking off the road quite a ways, which is most likely what I would plan on doing, as I’m still very young and have no problem getting a mile or more off the road. Even in these low public access units, is there still good opportunities to get on lots of antelope if you are willing to get off the road?

Thanks for the information. When I look at the harvest info for most of these units, it’s usually around 80ish percent. From everything I’ve read on here and elsewhere, it seems like most guys say that you can almost guarantee an antelope unless you choose not to shoot, is that what you guys would say too? It also seems like most guys have better luck hiking off the road quite a ways, which is most likely what I would plan on doing, as I’m still very young and have no problem getting a mile or more off the road. Even in these low public access units, is there still good opportunities to get on lots of antelope if you are willing to get off the road?

Everything your wondering about here is irrelevant.

Getting the tag is the hardest part.

Killing antelope is about as hard as catching a starving bluegill.

wytx

WKR
Numbers are down so no you won't find antelope everywhere like they used to be.
Wait for the quotas in April to decide on an area.

FLS

WKR
We drove out to hunt this year. Had no problem filling both tags but the numbers are WAY down from what we normally see. Also realize , even though a unit may have high success and lots of tags, the accessible public may not be good antelope habitat. The unit we hunt has a large Walk In area that draws non residents like flies to poop. Ive seen two antelope in there. My cousin killed one our first trip out and half a dozen cheeseheads were arguing over who shot the other.

Unfortunately 3 points now is what 1 point was 3 years ago, we went this year and it took 5.25 points to draw a unit that 3 years ago was under 3. The website WYGF has is super nice. I’d start out by seeing if you’re willing to pay for special or not. Then go through the units and eliminate wjat uou can’t draw, then eliminate units with with no or little public. See what’s left and wait for the tag numbers to be released next spring.

We went out with 4 guys a few weeks back. 2 guys killed 2 hours after having camp set up, other 2 guys killed the next morning. Drove 17 hours and were tagged out in less that 24 hours of having set foot in the unit.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve hunted some units that will likely take all of three points to draw in the regular next year. I’ve tagged out in them but it’s not quite as easy as you described in your post. If you just want to tag any antelope, as long as you can shoot 300ish yards you should be good. But if you hope to take a respectable buck, you might come home empty handed if things don’t break your way. Good luck.

With lower points, I would look into paying a trespass fee and hunting deeded lands in the eastern half of the state. We just got back from the Nebraska border and I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers we saw on the trip. It's been a good ten years since I've seen good antelope numbers on the eastern prairies.

Wyobow1

FNG
SouthernWyo has some good advice at your point level. The desert units just are not producing bc pronghorn like they have in the past. If you’re satisfied with a good representation of the species draw a tag on the eastern half and pay the $500 trespass fee to hunt a ranch.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all. Could someone explain the process for paying trespass fees? Do you drive up to the ranch house and ask? Anything more formal than that? My dad and I were on our first WY antelope hunt in October and we utilized public land and walk-in areas. While we did find bands of animals to chase around each day, there were times when the antelope moved onto ranch property not open to us where it would have been nice to pay and hunt. The next thought after that though ,was what if the animals moved to the next ranch over? Have to pay them to hunt then.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all. Could someone explain the process for paying trespass fees? Do you drive up to the ranch house and ask?
Its a simple transaction where cash is king. How you find them is more difficult. Most of the time it is word of mouth. There aren't any lists kept anymore.

wytx

WKR
Hi all. Could someone explain the process for paying trespass fees? Do you drive up to the ranch house and ask? Anything more formal than that? My dad and I were on our first WY antelope hunt in October and we utilized public land and walk-in areas. While we did find bands of animals to chase around each day, there were times when the antelope moved onto ranch property not open to us where it would have been nice to pay and hunt. The next thought after that though ,was what if the animals moved to the next ranch over? Have to pay them to hunt then.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
sent you a pm

So I’m looking to go to Wyoming next year on an antelope hunt. I will have three points, and am looking for some advice on what unit to put in for. I’m not looking for anything huge by any means, just looking to go up there and harvest a buck, size doesn’t really matter. Probably will be a rifle hunt, and am just wondering what unit would be best as far as public access goes. I’ve done quite a bit of research and have a few units in mind, but was just looking for some input. Any advice helps! Thanks!

We hunted west of Laramie a couple years ago on 3 points. We all 3 killed bucks on a WMA. It was the largest piece of public in the unit.

Attachments

• 5FD8E9B9-1AF6-4E36-B886-73864CB0AE1A.jpeg
    5FD8E9B9-1AF6-4E36-B886-73864CB0AE1A.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 43

Fyaman1

FNG
With lower points, I would look into paying a trespass fee and hunting deeded lands in the eastern half of the state. We just got back from the Nebraska border and I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers we saw on the trip. It's been a good ten years since I've seen good antelope numbers on the eastern prairies.
How would you go about finding those trespass fee areas? My uncle told me about them when he hunted out there a few years ago. Is it on the Wyoming f&g website?

wytx

WKR
We hunted west of Laramie a couple years ago on 3 points. We all 3 killed bucks on a WMA. It was the largest piece of public in the unit.
2 years ago numbers were way better west of Laramie, bucks are still there but numbers are way down.