Wyoming 6 points

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
So I have 5 points for Wyoming and will be buying another next year . Hoping to draw in Colorado my question is with 6 points I’m at a dilemma after doing lots of research . Do I wait a couple more years and try to draw a better unit with 8 -9 points or do a general draw where I could draw a unit that would allow me to hunt the last week off archery and roll into the first week of rifle I have the ability to take 3 weeks off to hunt . I’m 47 so old be 49-50 when I draw . Also I’ve never hunted Wyoming any suggestions on units to look at and research . 99 is one on my radar also 67 . Thanks for any advice and info in advance . I should mention I’ve been elk hunting 10 yrs and have hunted Colorado , Idaho and Montana .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
To the OP

Do you have 5 PPs now and going buy another one this year? - before Oct 31?
So you'll have 6 PP for next year's drawing?

EdP

WKR
So I have 5 points for Wyoming and will be buying another next year .
Has 5 now, will buy another in 2023, so will have 6 for the 2024 draw. That at least is how it reads to me.

I would try to find out all you can regarding where Wy is headed with a 90/10 proposal for elk, and if it looks like 90/10 is going to pass, burn your points before it goes into effect.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
General tags are going regional like the deer tags, so no telling what will be needed for each regional general.

cnelk

WKR
^^^
I bet a guy could do a little research and figure out what the areas in region will be and the average PPs needed.

For instance, the Bighorn areas won’t be part of the Sierra Madre areas

HOT ROD

WKR
^^^
I bet a guy could do a little research and figure out what the areas in region will be and the average PPs needed.

For instance, the Bighorn areas won’t be part of the Sierra Madre areas
I imagine he is getting offers to point share for a general elk tag next year if its still possible to draw a gen elk tag with 3 points... If a person was willing to do pay the special price for a tag they could have a really good elk hunt...

wytx

WKR
Lots of variables to the NR elk draw now. Quota was set aside and maybe other changes coming with 90/10 if that even goes through.
Too bad someone on here isn't keeping better tabs on what is getting pushed. :oops:

OP
Brett8133

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP

Do you have 5 PPs now and going buy another one this year? - before Oct 31?
So you'll have 6 PP for next year's drawing?

Cnelk I have 5 this year will buy another next yr for the following years drawing so looking to draw in 2024 with 6 pts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
I think 2024 is the first year 90/10 could possibly apply. Anything the legislature were to pass now would go into effect on July 1 next year, then apply to the following years (2024) draw. I made reservations with an outfitter for 2024 several years ago expecting to be OK with the 4 pts I will have at that time. That's pretty much up in the air if 90/10 is passed, and there is no telling how it will be affected by the change Don K described.

tracker12

WKR
I used up my 4 points this year for a Type 9 tag. I was not going to chance the way WY goes in the future. At my age no more buying points. Just try yo get lucky on the random.

Mojave

WKR
I burned my points in 2018 on a cow tag. I think I had 5, was no mans land for rifle tags in the Bighorns or South Central Wyoming.

I have 2 or 3 now. Probably do the same next year. I have 7 or 8 points for deer. I will probably cash out next year as well. Even if a general. Then pick up a whitetail tag in the 2nd draw and some doe tags.

Any unit with 60% or more public land (enough to ensure access) and 30% success or better is going to be a 8-10 point draw with the normal tag and a 7-8 point draw ith the $1300 tag.

This is what worries me, I am a complete beginner. I have 2 points and buddy has 6 going on 7 this yr. I’m thinking a couple more years and hope for the best.

wytx

WKR
Elk is the one species we have plenty of in Wyoming, I don't think NR quotas will be reduced by much on them but who knows with this Task Force.
I would buy a PP now and see what comes down the pipe with the WTF.