Wyoming 2023 general party application

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a long shot and maybe taboo, but I am sitting on 4 Wyoming elk points and until recently was 100% confident in drawing a NR General tag this year. If anyone is burning 5 points or more for a general tag and would allow me to join a party application to bump my number above 4 id be willing to talk about making it worth the effort. PM me if interested. Thanks

KHNC

WKR
Got 4 same as you, better go special. Took 3.123232233233 points last year. lol

Mojave

WKR
I am going on record saying that it will take over 5, I don't want to commit to 6 yet, but it might take more than that.

Zero guarantees on any point number below 8, maybe 9.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, if you’re correct it’s really going shake things up in the general units next year.

Sammymusi

WKR
I had 4 last year and drew a general tag. Also killed my first bull with a bow. With that being said I’ll prob never draw again unless I have 6 points. Lots of changes in the pipeline from what my resident buddy is saying..

Just to pipe in here. As a resident, I really don’t see is changing tag allocations for elk, deer and antelope. The only way that will happen is if there are vouchers given and outfitter only tags. Not to go down a soap box, none of these things will fix anything. If you don’t have to go you can bank your points. Yes they are talking a price increase.

Would you like to put money on that?
I’ve asked him several times if he’d like to bet on that. He’s been sipping the Newberg Kool Aid. Anyone can go back 3-5 years and see the trends.

So Mojave… wanna make a wager? If it takes OVER 5 to guarantee a tag I’ll pay for yours. If it takes 5 even or less you buy mine. Deal?

Mojave

WKR
I’ve asked him several times if he’d like to bet on that. He’s been sipping the Newberg Kool Aid. Anyone can go back 3-5 years and see the trends.

So Mojave… wanna make a wager? If it takes OVER 5 to guarantee a tag I’ll pay for yours. If it takes 5 even or less you buy mine. Deal?
No dude, you are ruining my doom and gloom campaign. Gotta scare these Newberg worshippers into burning their points, so I can draw a general for the Buffalo Thorofare in 2025 with 5 points on the $2000 tag.

I am not applying this year, too many irons in the fire with our move for Fall 2023.

• Haha
Reactions: RMM

RMM

WKR

No dude, you are ruining my doom and gloom campaign. Gotta scare these Newberg worshippers into burning their points, so I can draw a general for the Buffalo Thorofare in 2025 with 5 points on the $2000 tag.

I am not applying this year, too many irons in the fire with our move for Fall 2023.

I was just butt hurt because my buddy and I have a 5 point average and already got approved for vacation

Mojave

WKR
I was just butt hurt because my buddy and I have a 5 point average and already got approved for vacation
Hopefully you draw then.

Are you doing the Special?

Semi-True partially False Make Believe Truck Driving Story:

Once or 8 times upon a time I believed the hype of GoHunt and Wyoming's point draw requirement predictions and assumed (like when you are making an ass out of you and me) that I would have a tag.

Did not happen, I was always somewhere between a point and 3 points below what it actually took.

Even for a special antelope tag where I had a lot of points for that draw year.

Eventually because even an idiot can learn from their mistakes. Like the guy that loses multiple $10 muskie spoons because he can't figure out how to tie a fishing knot on one of those big 1/4 pounds spoons (also me). I figured that if I plussed up my thoughts of what it would actually take I'd get a tag. Low and behold I was right.

If you think it will take 5 and you have 5, maybe will you get a tag. If they are telling you it will take 5 and you have 7 or 8 you should get a tag.

I figure a guy with any points (well 0 to 10) at all who can hunt this fall, ought to apply for a general in Wyoming.

RMM

WKR
Hopefully you draw then.

Once or 8 times upon a time I believed the hype of GoHunt and Wyoming's point draw requirement predictions and assumed (like when you are making an ass out of you and me) that I would have a tag.

Did not happen, I was always somewhere between a point and 3 points below what it actually took.

Eventually because even an idiot can learn from their mistakes. Like the guy that loses multiple $10 muskie spoons because he can't figure out how to tie a fishing knot on one of those big 1/4 pounds spoons (also me). I figured that if I plussed up my thoughts of what it would actually take I'd get a tag. Low and behold I was right.

If you think it will take 5 and you have 5, maybe will you get a tag. If they are telling you it will take 5 and you have 7 or 8 you should get a tag.

I figure a guy with any points (well 0 to 10) at all who can hunt this fall, ought to apply for a general in Wyoming.
We're not planning on doing special. I just don't think its going to jump over 1 point to draw the general. Hopefully I'm right

Hopefully you draw then.

Again they GoHunt is not making predictions.
They are telling you what it took the year before.
The fact you thought it was a prediction is you're fault. Its all on you because you did not understand.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
Again they GoHunt is not making predictions.
They are telling you what it took the year before.
The fact you thought it was a prediction is you're fault. Its all on you because you did not understand.
Your were to busy looking at Scottsdale moms
Dude Scottsdale milfs rock. Your just Jelly that the vegan free range organic green peace loving granolas, and non-binary lefty loo crackwhores in Western Oregon don't take care of themselves the same way.

My old Navy room mate was from Lake Oswego. Her mom was a doctor and her Dad sold yachts. She was more Scottsdale (implants) looking than normal Portland chicks.

Of course it is my fault.

If you don't draw because you didn't understand something in the drawing it is always your fault.

One year I even listened to my dad and put in for 48 for antelope in Wyoming. It took something like 11 points and I had 7. He told me I would draw, so I thought well why not and got my money back from the state minus the fun tax for not drawing.

You have to own your life.

Go to the Wyoming draw odds page. Get a pen and paper, or better yet open a notepad on your phone. Go back 5 years and write down the number of points it took to have 100% odds that year. Then go to the next point tier below that. Write down the % of odds for those applicants and the number of applicants.

Now see how many hunters in that point bracket didn’t draw. Even though there are a ton of point holders these are the people who actually applied. No guarantee that won’t go up as additional hunters who didn’t apply decide to burn points. (Because of Mojave 😂) But it’s a pretty good measuring stick of how many people will end up in the bracket 1 point higher than that the following year.

You’ll notice that the more years you go back the less point creep. Only 10-12 years ago there was no such thing. Then it started to rise by .5 points per year. Then not so long ago the rate of creep went to 1 point per year. The guys who just started thinking about hunting Wyoming now had enough points to draw. Others had enough but were sitting on them. Waiting to draw good units. Waiting to retire or for kids to graduate.

But the rate of point creep is fairly steady. If you think the license you want to apply for has had a quick jump in applications, or you see that unit being talked about all over the internet, you could play it safe and assume a 1.25 or 1.5 point increase or whatever seems applicable to you for that license.

There never any guarantees but in my opinion you can get a better idea of what to expect on your own than Go Hunt or anyone else will give you. DIY! And it’s free. And you learn more by doing your own homework. Planning is fun anyway. I look at draw odds and topo maps a couple times a week especially this time of year.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
Hopefully, they won't all burn points next year.

I have this theory that as much as these hunting personalities damage our system, they probably don't reach as far as I think they do.

I am a typical government employee that has a lot of time on my hands to listen to podcasts while I am driving around inspecting construction sites. People that work in sales or have other jobs do not have the time to commit to research, some of them probably don't even know about gohunt or onx or any of our other tools.

So as much as the hunting personalty campaign to get people to burn points has had whatever affect it has. I don't think most people know about it.