WY recommendations - 7points to burn

MtnMike

FNG
Howdy,

ID resident here looking to burn my (7) WY points for the 2023 season.

I hunted region G several years back but the outfitter I went with has since retired. I was also burned by an outfitter in region G who took our deposits and high tailed.

There seems to be no shortage of outfitters in WY which makes cutting the wheat from the chaf a daunting process. I'm Looking for some suggestions on 2 pieces:

1. What is a good unit to burn my 7 points in?

2. What outfitter would you reccomend in that unit?

I realize I only have until the end of the month to put this together so any input is greatly appreciated!

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, you have until May 31st to apply for deer as a non-resident. Good luck in your search!

Elk deadline is Jan. 31st

OP
MtnMike

MtnMike

FNG
Thank you @wilydawg ! Perhaps I should have put this in the Elk forum. I also have 4 elk points that I also wouldn't mind burning.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I'm also an ID resident with 7 WY and interested.

Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Hey man, just a little education how Rokslide generally works. You are going to get almost no information asking questions like this. Do some preliminary research, come back with specifics and ask tailored questions and you might get some good insights from folks on here. Otherwise, you'll see little help asking the proverbial "where should I hunt?". Just food for thought.

PS. What Bearded Bowhunter said. Also, don't burn out your potential hunting spots by posting specific units. If you want to discuss units with a helpful RS member do it through a private message. With 7 points you have some decent options just do your research. I have 10 deer points that'll be burning in a good unit this coming Fall, DIY. Good luck!

EdP

WKR
You generally are expected to do your own homework but all the info you need to select an area is available on the Wy F&G website. Determine the hunt areas you have a good chance to draw from the published odds from previous years. Its no guarantee but an indicator. Use the Hunt Planner and select a species and an area you want to check out. Go to the Detailed Info. Look at the Area Deer Age Report. Click on "what goes into an age report" to see what Class 1, 2 and 3 deer are. Along the way you can look at public access, habitat info, herd health info, and other pertinent data.

Rather than being driven by application deadlines your timeline for decision making may be driven by outfitter openings. You are far more likely to get outfitter recommendations on the site than area recommendations. If you get some recommendations check what areas they hunt and try to find a match with the results of your homework described above.

Last edited: