WY leftover /draw

Looking at some units in WY that have leftover tags. If I’m seeing this correctly, NR don’t pull from any leftover tags from the resident pool, and are not eligible to get any of those tags until the second draw. Is that correct?

That is to say the tags for said unit on the NR side are all consumed by NR during the initial draw but not so on the R side.

Wapitibob?

OP
C
Which confirms my thinking that those tags are not available until the second draw thanks.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
There is one leftover draw and residents and non-residents are all in together, no points required, totally random. Application period this year was June 20-24. Those units with tags are either very limited access or likely predation hunts that rely heavily on weather and animal movement, either of which can be problematic for non-residents.

OP
C
Thanks! The tag that interests me doesn’t fall under any of the issues you mentioned.

wytx

WKR
Changes are coming to NR elk in Wyoming.
If we get our proposal to put residents first in the leftover draw that may affect elk licenses but probably will not based on the NR draw being before the Residents'.
Also elk quota is changing for NRs, may result in more tags.

If something looks too good to be true there’s a reason. In addition to land access issues, all private or wilderness, lots of the tags leftover are in grizzly infested areas.

The words “more tags” seems too good to be true too. Hmm

wytx

WKR
If something looks too good to be true there’s a reason. In addition to land access issues, all private or wilderness, lots of the tags leftover are in grizzly infested areas.

The words “more tags” seems too good to be true too. Hmm
I believe they have lifted the quota that was in place now, it will now be based on a percentage, not the quota 7250 licenses. So could be more elk tags or less.

wapitibob

WKR
I believe they have lifted the quota that was in place now, it will now be based on a percentage, not the quota 7250 licenses. So could be more elk tags or less.

They haven't lifted any quota, all that stuff is going thru the process and won't be final till April 2024 should the 7250 be rescinded.

As far as leftovers; nr landowners draw first, remainder goes to nr public, remainder goes to resident draw. Your best shot at a leftover is to draw it before it becomes leftover, if that's possible.