WY- how to tell if road is public or private

There are private roads that are named because it is an advantage for first responders when dealing with fires, ambulance calls, etc.

At least that is the way it is where I live.

ClearCreek

def90

WKR
The US Forest Service has MVUM (motor vehicle use maps) maps which will tell you what roads are open to traffic and which ones aren’t for free on their website. Just find the webpage for the particular National Forest or Ranger District and you should find a link to MVUM maps.

Scorpion

WKR
The correct answer for Wyoming has been mentioned before, look up that county’s website and search for a county road map. If they don’t have it open source, call them and ask for one, they should be able to provide one or at least answer your question.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Ive been spoiled growing up in ID and living in AK for 17 yrs I didnt really have to worry about this. I dont want to be THAT guy and be trespassing on private. I'll dive deeper into it and hopefully the website cnelk posted will answer this. Again thanks, Rob

EdP

WKR
Platte Co has an excellent road map that will tell you every public road in the county, and also shows road easements that have not been developed yet. All I have found for Carbon Co is a map that might be useful if I had a hard copy but doesn't show the detail needed over the internet.

Pancake

FNG
The Wyoming Fish and Game tries to do this work for you. If you use the Hunt Planner and look up individual districts, the unit maps show state and county roads. Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong or add to this, but anything that's listed on the map as either county (yellow) or state (darker) is a public road as far as I'm aware.

Here's a random deer unit for reference:

coryan

FNG
Looks like the recommendation to find the county road map is the best option, with the WGFD map showing them as well (if you read the legend).
Are there mapping systems that show the public roads? In the field it can be difficult to tell a nice named oil field access gravel road from a county road, especially with OnX showing them the same as county roads.

Pancake

FNG
OnX is what I use in the field, so I just marked every public road in yellow on it. It was super tedious, but it was worth it. Maybe there are other apps that have public roads marked, but it was nice to have them all on my OnX.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
The Wyoming Game and Fish Hunt Planner https://wgfd.wyo.gov/hunting/hunt-planner is the way to go! It is laid out kind of like ON-X but is cross referenced to the County/State GIS maps and has the open access country roads mapped. As I often do not have cell service where I hunt I use this to highlight the roads on my ON-X so I can readily navigate in the field.

dtrkyman

WKR
New Mexico land owners love to post their property facing the public road to look like a private road, the sign is on the private so it is legal on their part but shady!