WY Elk Guide suggestions

Bghunter

FNG
So I am looking to cash in a few points in WY. I have 3 points going into 2023 draw so I know would more than likely be general area. I know I could draw random tag, but my luck isn't that good

Never hunted elk before so would be happy with something with good odds of even 280 or so. This would be a rifle hunt.

Physically have no issues hiking etc. However did have a corneal transplant and vision is an issue so I would say shooting distance would be limited, maybe 250 max.

I would like to do a 1x1 hunt as elk hunting is difficult enough.

Thank you for any help

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide. 3 points didn’t draw a tag this year in WY, and any good outfitter with experience is booked out several years. I suggest planning for 2024 when you will have 4 points and finding an outfitter you can book a spot with.
As a new elk hunter, go DIY in 2023, learn a bunch, read up on here and you will be ready. Use the search function as well, guaranteed your questions have been answered before.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted elk before so would be happy with something with good odds of even 280 or so.
Of course on Youtube or TV it would usually be referred to as a 340 bull. An honest 280 bull is really a pretty nice bull. You might want to reconsider your expectations before trying to describe them to an outfitter.

Start talking with the outfitters now, but think about delaying the hunt for another year or two unless there is someone willing to share their points. Some of the big outfitters will arrange their clients into group draws so that some guys with insufficient points will benefit from others with excess points.

I can tell you for sure that you’d be happy with a 250 bull. Especially after hunting the mountains for several days. There are thousands of “6 point bull hunters” who start off looking for that 300 incher and wake up on day 3 saying oh my God I’ll shoot a spike if I see one!

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I know an outfitter or two that would be happy to cash your deposit check, even if you do not have a realistic chance of drawing the license. The good outfitters will not take your deposit and tell you they are saving a spot in camp unless they are fairly certain that you will draw the tag.

OP
B

Bghunter

FNG
I have no doubt I would be happy with a 250 or honestly a spike too. Was just trying to give an idea of my expectations. Like you mentioned I know so many people who say they will hold out for a 350. Those do not grow on trees, that much I do know.

I was thinking of trying to go 2023 as a retirement gift to myself and not sure with point creep how long I should try and wait to draw.

There are other hunts I was considering too, thats why I am reaching out to get a general idea of what would be realistic

OP
B

Bghunter

FNG
Seamaster

I have no doubt there are plenty of outfitters willing to take my money.

OP
B

Bghunter

FNG
Thanks for the information it has been very helpful. I am lucky in that I am not dead set on hunting elk in 2023, so if I can't find what I want i have time.
I was hoping to do it as a retirement gift to myself. Even though I am retiring in a week, but with my corneal transplant didn't want to risk not being recovered.
Thanks again.

Apply for your Wyoming general license. Then you f you draw shoot me a message. I know a couple good outfitters that would fit a guy into their schedule so f they know he has the license.

cgasner1

WKR
Save points to hunt that state diy and find a outfitter in Colorado for a otc unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no doubt I would be happy with a 250 or honestly a spike too. Was just trying to give an idea of my expectations. Like you mentioned I know so many people who say they will hold out for a 350. Those do not grow on trees, that much I do know.

I was thinking of trying to go 2023 as a retirement gift to myself and not sure with point creep how long I should try and wait to draw.

There are other hunts I was considering too, thats why I am reaching out to get a general idea of what would be realistic

Reality?

At 3 points your probably never drawing a tag.

Go to church, donate to St. Judes, build karma any way possible and keep trying for a random.

Could likely draw a general elk special tag with 3 points. Costs more but when factoring in a guided hunt, it may be worth it.
I am in the same situation as OP. I have 5 points, my brother has 1. I don’t want to wait any longer. Do you guys know of any outfitters in Wyoming that do drop camps? I’ve heard not many do, but there has to be a few…

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
You guys have me worried now. I have 5 points going into next year and was talking with my buddy who I owe a big favor too that would love to hunt in wyoming but has no points. I was considering applying as a party with him and splitting my points with the special draw but it’s not sounding like that may be a good idea if I want to hunt elk in wyoming in 2023. GOHUNT has me at 43% odds of drawing with 2.5 points which I thought was pretty good. Do I gain anything applying as a party?

You guys have me worried now. I have 5 points going into next year and was talking with my buddy who I owe a big favor too that would love to hunt in wyoming but has no points. I was considering applying as a party with him and splitting my points with the special draw but it’s not sounding like that may be a good idea if I want to hunt elk in wyoming in 2023. GOHUNT has me at 43% odds of drawing with 2.5 points which I thought was pretty good. Do I gain anything applying as a party?
You won't draw a tag at 2.5 points, either special or general unless it is a random tag.

You would be a sure thing with 5 points with special and iffy with 5 points in the general at this point. Tell your buddy he can join you. You will be lucky to get one elk down and out of the mountains anyway.

My main hunting partner was a tag along in WY this year. He didn't regret it, as he is getting half of my elk anyway.

Elk hunting is best done as a team sport.

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
You won't draw a tag at 2.5 points, either special or general unless it is a random tag.

You would be a sure thing with 5 points with special and iffy with 5 points in the general at this point. Tell your buddy he can join you. You will be lucky to get one elk down and out of the mountains anyway.

My main hunting partner was a tag along in WY this year. He didn't regret it, as he is getting half of my elk anyway.

Elk hunting is best done as a team sport.
Looks like it’ll have to be another favor another day!!! I’m going elk hunting!!!!

GoHunt is definitely wrong. Your odds are zero for a general with 2.5 even in the special drawing. I can’t imagine how they came up with that.

Tell your buddy to buy a point right now as in today (tomorrow is the last day for points) and when he draws you can tag along and be his support crew and you guys will have some experience in your area. I think 4 points in the special will do it next year BUT with all the talk about so many changes in the system 2023 could be the year for lots of guys to burn points. That would mean higher than normal point creep so the points required to guarantee could exceed 4 As in <5.

Decimal points make a huge difference. 4.3 is a whole other ballgame than 4.

go_deep

WKR

That's a pretty good advertisement for go hunt.
Tell your buddy to buy a point.