Woukd You Bait This Location?

BigFoote

FNG
This week I retrieved my trail cam at a new location. It's public land that borders private at a fence line. It caught a new buck everyday at this point where they jump the fence.

I plane to hunt it this week or the next from a tree stand. My buddy suggested putting out some apples to keep them there.

I'm worried about leaving more scent but this is only my second year hunting blacktail and I have never baited. What would you do, is there any benefit?

Black tails love apples but unless you're baiting on a consistent basis, it doesn't seem to keep them around - if they are not already there. I will use them come late season to bring the does in. My plan is to drop some the week before and then bring some in with me each morning when I get to my stand.

Alfalfa brings rabbits, apples brings bears. Pick your poison. Bucks never seemed consistent on apples for me but the does would lay there all the time.

Apples never hurt if you're in a lower elevation. Up high I've never got them to work for me. In the spring I'll put out salt block with selenium during antler growth, if they are hitting that spot in the spring then they'll usually hit it for apples.

Don't know where you're at, but my backyard bucks in NW WA don't give a damn about apples, bait blocks, salt, hay, or anything except the new growth coming out of thimble berries and cottonwood trees.

Consistently baited the same spot for the last 2 years just for fun and they don't touch anything. Even the bobcats at least like the salt...

Oldpuck

FNG
I’m in SW Washington and deer come through regularly for the apples I place along my stream. They also browse my neighbor’s apple trees, despite our late spring snow which wreaked havoc on this year‘s crop. I think apples work. We are at low elevation at 1450 ft.