Working on next years plans

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, season is coming to a wrap for me here In Utah and I’m Starting to brainstorm for next year. The draws are quickly approaching. I want to hear what some of the best “adventures “ you guys have been on. Whether that’s big game, waterfowl, fishing. It can be guided or DIY. I have points in every western state. If you don’t want to “hotspot” your unit or outfitter, I’d still love to receive a PM. I appreciate any info your willing to share and don’t hesitate to ask any questions about Utah I’d be more than happy to help you out!D983230B-879E-4D46-A223-60608A3EF606.jpeg71B92086-1456-4DA4-9926-CA4D9A72C635.jpeg00E82225-B939-468D-8BF0-5354B2DC5712.jpeg

Fitzwho

WKR
What sort of average point level are you at in western states? Alaska is on my list, but from your photos you have that handled. If you have done most of your hunting in Utah, have you killed a whitetail yet? I.E. Kansas/Nebraska/Canada.

Just thinking a few other things that I have been interested in, but haven't made the time:
Late Season Snow Goose Shoot in Arkansas/Missouri (the depredation hunts with no limits).
Texas/New Mexico Sandhill Crane
Aoudad/Barbary sheep

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
What sort of average point level are you at in western states? Alaska is on my list, but from your photos you have that handled. If you have done most of your hunting in Utah, have you killed a whitetail yet? I.E. Kansas/Nebraska/Canada.

Just thinking a few other things that I have been interested in, but haven't made the time:
Late Season Snow Goose Shoot in Arkansas/Missouri (the depredation hunts with no limits).
Texas/New Mexico Sandhill Crane
Aoudad/Barbary sheep
7 all species wyoming. 6 all species Colorado. 2 Arizona. 2 Oregon just burned my Utah elk points this year. I have killed whitetail but being a western guy I’m always looking for whitetail opportunities. Geese is definitely on the hit list but I’m trying to decide between fall Canada or a stateside depredations hunt. Idk man I love it all. Just wanted to spark conversation because you never know what you’re missing. The only plans I have right now are region G deer in wyoming. Otherwise I pretty much just buy points and hunt Oregon, Utah and Ak definitely looking for an aoudad hunt!

Fitzwho

WKR
I'll be trying to stay as close to home as possible next year because I have a big fishing trip in March to Christmas Island (Kiritimati) that I have been planning since 2018. It kept getting pushed due to COVID. That will be almost half of my PTO for next year. Then have to split the rest between family and hunting. 2024 will be similar with moving a 10 year anniversary trip (moved because of the Christmas Island delays).

So I'll be hoping for a tag or two in New Mexico, maybe settle on an AZ Mule Deer tag (7 points) that isn't the Strip, and likely Kansas Muzzleloader deer. Want to burn points in South Dakota and Montana, but probably looking at 2025 before I have time to travel that far again.

7 points will get you some pretty decent pronghorn tags in Wyoming and Colorado. I'll have maybe 50% odds in the unit I want in CO next year.

2 points in Arizona... If you aren't going to try and save up deer points for the next 60 years to try and get a Strip tag, I would look at southern AZ for a early December rifle Coues hunt. I have a Coues in AZ, need to figure out a mule deer tag that I can kill a decent buck and then go back to chasing Coues deer every couple years.

Apply for crazy exotics in NM or a OIL in Idaho and hope for something off the wall. Ibex in the Florida Mountains, White Sands Missile Range Oryx, Idaho Shiras tag, etc.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Head to Argentina for waterfowl! I'm going this summer with a group of guys that have been before, and they say it's an amazing trip. Had I not been invited I probably never would have considered it, but after getting all the details planned I think it will be a once in a lifetime type trip

Northpark

WKR
Go start burning points man. Due to splitting my time off between family and hunting I have more points than I can burn. The deal at my house is I can hunt what I can draw in AZ but I only get one out of state hunt per year and Texas doesn’t count cause my in laws live there and we are going there anyway. So basically I’ll be burning points one state and species at a time per year and then years I go to Alaska like this year I don’t burn any out of state hunts. If you got AZ points I try a coues deer hunt. They’re fun as can be to hunt and they will really test your glassing and long range shooting skills.

Last edited:

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
7 all species wyoming. 6 all species Colorado. 2 Arizona. 2 Oregon just burned my Utah elk points this year. I have killed whitetail but being a western guy I’m always looking for whitetail opportunities. Geese is definitely on the hit list but I’m trying to decide between fall Canada or a stateside depredations hunt. Idk man I love it all. Just wanted to spark conversation because you never know what you’re missing. The only plans I have right now are region G deer in wyoming. Otherwise I pretty much just buy points and hunt Oregon, Utah and Ak definitely looking for an aoudad hunt!
Go to Canada in the fall. I’ve hunted geese all over the continent and nothing beats early October in Canada (Alberta or Saskatchewan). The Light Goose Conservation Order is not what it once was and is so dependent on a good hatch and a high percentage of juvenile geese so on a year with a bad hatch you’ll be lucky to scratch out a dozen consistently. I hunt family land in Alberta so I’m no help recommending an outfitter.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be trying to stay as close to home as possible next year because I have a big fishing trip in March to Christmas Island (Kiritimati) that I have been planning since 2018. It kept getting pushed due to COVID. That will be almost half of my PTO for next year. Then have to split the rest between family and hunting. 2024 will be similar with moving a 10 year anniversary trip (moved because of the Christmas Island delays).

So I'll be hoping for a tag or two in New Mexico, maybe settle on an AZ Mule Deer tag (7 points) that isn't the Strip, and likely Kansas Muzzleloader deer. Want to burn points in South Dakota and Montana, but probably looking at 2025 before I have time to travel that far again.

7 points will get you some pretty decent pronghorn tags in Wyoming and Colorado. I'll have maybe 50% odds in the unit I want in CO next year.

2 points in Arizona... If you aren't going to try and save up deer points for the next 60 years to try and get a Strip tag, I would look at southern AZ for a early December rifle Coues hunt. I have a Coues in AZ, need to figure out a mule deer tag that I can kill a decent buck and then go back to chasing Coues deer every couple years.

Apply for crazy exotics in NM or a OIL in Idaho and hope for something off the wall. Ibex in the Florida Mountains, White Sands Missile Range Oryx, Idaho Shiras tag, etc.

I’m starting to research NM for a ”partially ” guided hunt to help my draw odds. Kansas definitely has my attention. However, with my lack of knowledge of whitetail it’s hard to travel all that way. I’ve been to SD and MO for whitetail. I’ve considered cashing in my points for antelope but I have a 75“ goat already and I want a unit I have fairly good odds of finding as 80 on. As far as coues I’m torn, we’ve gone to San Carlos a handful of times for javelina and I always see a good number of coues so I may try that one year. We have Also gone down for OTC hunting in Jan but up north near Kingman, think we are going to head further south this year. I do apply for all then OIL tags in NM and ID, it would be nice to draw one.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Head to Argentina for waterfowl! I'm going this summer with a group of guys that have been before, and they say it's an amazing trip. Had I not been invited I probably never would have considered it, but after getting all the details planned I think it will be a once in a lifetime type trip
It’s definitely on the list but I think I’m going to hold off until I’m a little older for that one. Need to get some of the more physical adventures completed first. Good luck on your trip!