Wondering who has just lived with having a heavy scope on a light weight rifle?

Elite

WKR
I recently upgraded the scope on my ultralight rifle to a Leica amplus 6 3-18x44. The scope weighs 24oz on my scale. I wanted a reliable scope that would dial repeatedly and RTZ. I like to shoot long range while I am at the gun range and have shot sheep at 500 yards when there was no other option to get closer.

I had a leupold CDS and it gave me a lot of issues with dialling. The weight was awesome but a lightweight scope designed to dial seems non existent. Now this new scope seems to make it feel too heavy and a bit awkward then how it uses to feel. Wondering if anyone has gotten used to that weight up there or any suggestions? The scope is returnable if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
What good is a light scope thats not reliable?
Got to what ya got to do.
You'll forget about it.

That’s what I am thinking. Learned the hard way on the CDS dial system

CHMD

FNG
When you say ultralight, how much does your rifle weigh?

For my lightest rifle set up to dial and shoot accurately at long distance I used a March 3-24 that weighs about 21oz. The rifle w/o scope weighs 6lb 7oz. Seems perfect to me, but you’re probably talking a lighter rifle.

I do agree with BRTreedogs that the weight is worth it if saving weight sacrifices ability to track accurately and reliably.

DaleW

WKR
Last year i switched from Leupold to Nightforce. I notice the weight difference when the rifle is in my hands but when it's riding on my pack I forget about it.

Dgregory

FNG
I wondered about this same issue and ended up sticking with a lighter weight (15oz) Leupold (with CDS). All of the other options I was looking at were about 8-9oz heavier and that weighted heavily on my decision. My bare rifle is 5.5lbs by the way.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
My Kimber subalpine 280 ack started life with me under a lightweight 4-12 leupold. About 5 or 6 years ago, it got a nightforce shv 3-10. While the scope weighs significantly more than the first, the overall balance and "shootability" of the package improved dramatically.

Ive been all over the board from an 11 lb long range rifle with a 27" sendero contour and 6.5-20x50mm tube down to the kimber mentioned above. For me, a balanced rifle that weighs between 7 and 8 lbs all up is my happy place currently.

RS3579

WKR
You have to trust your optics. Doesn’t matter if it’s a lighter or heavier scope. Make your decision off of the trust factor.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Have you perused the scope field evaluations on the long range subforum? If not, they're worth looking at as you make your decision.
I definitely have spent some time reading the reviews. Wish there was one on the Leica.

Axlrod

WKR
I had a somewhat light rifle built in order to put a NF ATACR on it. The extra weight in my scope is directly proportional to the weight OFF my mind, not having to worry about my scope doing its job. ;)