Wolf killed by Duck Hunter in Wisconsin

CMP70306

WKR
Based on the story it sounds like a good shoot and I’d have done the same in his situation. I’m glad we don’t have to deal with that BS over here in PA.

I wonder what the state will do, it’s one thing to say they don’t attack people but it’s another to be 19 years old with two younger teens and being surrounded by a pack of 9 wolves at less than 10 yards. Unless some unknown facts come out it would be pretty distasteful to charge the kid though I’m sure some groups will push for it.

go_deep

WKR
"St. Germain, where this incident took place, is in north-central Wisconsin, about 20 miles from the Canadian border."
They're a little farther than 20 miles from the Canadian border.

I'm glad they're alright, I'm going to guess that each one of those kids is now going to be a little scared to head out and enjoy the outdoors, which is unfortunate. Hope the DNR does the right thing and tell him he did the right thing and congratulate him on protecting the other hunters in the blind.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Must have truly been super close to stone cold kill it with a waterfowl load. Thats a fact.

I "killed" a 150 lb sow (pig not bear) one time with a turkey load at 25 yards. I'm pretty sure it just knocked her out before I finished her off. And that was with TSS. I cant imagine shooting a wolf in the face with steel. Had to have been very close.

Last edited:

go_deep

WKR
I "killed" a 150 lb sow one time with a turkey load at 25 yards. I'm pretty sure it just knocked her out before I finished her off. And that was with TSS. I cant imagine shooting a wolf in the face with steel. Had to have been very close.

I think we need context to this story

SWOHTR

WKR
"St. Germain, where this incident took place, is in north-central Wisconsin, about 20 miles from the Canadian border."
They're a little farther than 20 miles from the Canadian border.

I'm glad they're alright, I'm going to guess that each one of those kids is now going to be a little scared to head out and enjoy the outdoors, which is unfortunate. Hope the DNR does the right thing and tell him he did the right thing and congratulate him on protecting the other hunters in the blind.
Pretty sure they meant Michigan.

“We’re surrounded. Good! That simplifies the problem.”

Make this guy a Marine.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I have friends who bear hunt northern Wisconsin with hounds. They say they have to be super vigilant to keep their dogs alive. The wolfs have been conditioned - when they hear dogs baying, its a dinner bell to them, or just a chance to wantonly kill. My friend said they were traveling a fire lane in their trucks listening for the hounds approaching - they could hear them getting closer and when they broke out of the woods to cross the road, a wolf about double the size of the hound came flying in out of no where and nailed the hound by the neck, killing it almost instantly.

Pattern your shotgun on cardboard at 7 yards. You’ll see a 2” hole thru the cardboard if you have a tight choke (waterfowl) in. Very destructive on anything at very close range. Don’t shoot a steel plate up close as it it likely will rebound back at you.

Dad killed a few beef cows for butchering with a 16 ga full choke and bird shot. It put a hole right through the side of the cow skull at close range (a couple yards).

Will a 12 ga waterfowl load kill a wolf at close range…easily without a doubt.

go_deep

WKR
Pretty sure they meant Michigan.

“We’re surrounded. Good! That simplifies the problem.”

Make this guy a Marine.

I know what he meant, but I don't get paid to write so the standard is a little higher for the writer, and when you throw obvious errors in a story it only makes you contemplate how many other possible errors are hidden in there too.

I agree, the gents got nerves of steel!

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
interesting that another wolf tried to drag dead one off. Maybe it was a designed hit!! Wolf Mob. Suckered his pal in!!

Besides the "I shot a wolf at 5 feet in the face" part, what really stands out to me is that 20 hunting dogs have been killed in that state by wolves this year alone.

Sounds to me like wolves are getting habituated there to see humans as a food source, bringing them dogs. Duck blinds have dogs. Not a big leap.