Wiser Precision Pynch Pulleys

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I was the the Hunt Expo in SLC, one of the new products that really caught my eye was these tiny pulleys. They had a a demonstration set up and I just had to stop.

These little pulleys weigh in at .2 ounces each and have a rating of 1500 pounds! I had to walk away with a few. I can see multiple uses for these little guys well beyond hunting. I can see them helping get a Raft off of a boulder in a river, or having some help in lifting something in the truck. While hunting, I can see them useful in yarding up a dead animal uphill to a better spot to debone it. I can also see a use for hanging meat or a carcass as well.

I have setup the 4 pulleys with loops and still playing around on the best setup. I also want to make a loop on a longer piece of dyneema to throw over a limb.

What do you see these useful for in the field and how would you set them up?

Here is how I set it up in a 3:1 mechanical advantage with 2 pulleys.

0041c2f517a05105e35211622500129f.jpg

Here is 3 pulleys that is 3.1 with a change of direction ( pulling downhill instead of up)

864a78fa38bf911ddd6236d33d5cde6f.jpg

And here is my son demonstrating lifting a 75 pound weight
f9191f87ab6b85673487eb0286c2915f.jpg

I’ll get some better pictures on the pulleys tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forgot to post a link!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s some better photos of the pulleys and my setup I’m playing with.

For cordage, I’m running unknown diameter of dyneema amsteel that I had laying around. I spliced the pulleys on one end and made loops on the other.
68bec0aa5b7b425c1de61e656e3ff992.jpg

Here’s a better look at the pulleys themselves. They weigh .2 ounces each!

6c8fe621c15b3c6e9c5652d4ddc0d408.jpg

48d5f4cc1b4ad01b0ae7f59ef1ba96a9.jpg

It is worth noting I tried running a thin diameter amsteel through the pulley and there was just a ton of resistance.

I just got a few of these last week to play with, figured they can't help you if you don't have them and at .2 oz each that is no penalty really. Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I have yet to use them, but will start playing with them soon.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got a few of these last week to play with, figured they can't help you if you don't have them and at .2 oz each that is no penalty really. Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I have yet to use them, but will start playing with them soon.

Let me know how you end up setting it up! I’m not 100% sure this is exactly how I want to run mine. I would like to see one what you can attach something on each side of the pulley

Let me know how you end up setting it up! I’m not 100% sure this is exactly how I want to run mine. I would like to see one what you can attach something on each side of the pulley

You have seen some of ( or the ) the videos frome wiser? Looked like loops through the pulleys like you did but they stacked the pulleys and on one end of the rope they anchored that and one set of pulleys then attached the other pulleys to the load and then you have your pulling end of rope.

This was mostly demonstrated in a quick video not doing loads, but you could get a feel of how they could help us out.

Will try to set up a video

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks I haven’t but I’ll check it out!

TheTone

WKR
Looks super cool and promising. I’m admittedly terrible and knot tying and often struggle hanging elk quarters by myself, I usually just build meat “cribs” to get them off the ground while shuttling. I can absolutely see myself using these to get a quarter hoisted up and then tie it off with another piece of cording

Looks super cool and promising. I’m admittedly terrible and knot tying and often struggle hanging elk quarters by myself, I usually just build meat “cribs” to get them off the ground while shuttling. I can absolutely see myself using these to get a quarter hoisted up and then tie it off with another piece of cording
I was even thinking if a guy was solo or an animal got into a bad position you could use these to get it anchored/ pulled to better spot for processing or who knows.

Would be interesting to compare the sets side by side and see how they do. When playing with the 550 version yesterday and lifting a compressor they got warm, wondering how much work they could do before having issues due to the heat.

I have been very curious about these - with the single ball bearing pinched in the bracket, I wonder how much the ball is actually rolling, vs the rope just sliding over the ball. I would love to see a test to see the real mechanical advantage loss due to friction in a "2:1" or "3:1" configuration.

The size of the pynch pulleys is the most intriguing factor for me, but I am a bit skeptical in regards to how efficient they are. I have used these sailing pulleys before and they have worked great -they only weigh .3oz (the pynch pulley is advertised as .2oz), but they have full ball bearings so the friction is greatly reduced:

I have also been curious about just using low friction rings (also used a lot in sailing), to set up a fully sliding pulley system (no rolling, rope just slides through rings). Five of these weigh as much as a single pynch pulley or sailing ball bearing:

Cost of all three is about the same ~ $14-16. Thoughts?

I have been very curious about these - with the single ball bearing pinched in the bracket, I wonder how much the ball is actually rolling, vs the rope just sliding over the ball. I would love to see a test to see the real mechanical advantage loss due to friction in a "2:1" or "3:1" configuration.

The size of the pynch pulleys is the most intriguing factor for me, but I am a bit skeptical in regards to how efficient they are. I have used these sailing pulleys before and they have worked great -they only weigh .3oz (the pynch pulley is advertised as .2oz), but they have full ball bearings so the friction is greatly reduced:

I have also been curious about just using low friction rings (also used a lot in sailing), to set up a fully sliding pulley system (no rolling, rope just slides through rings). Five of these weigh as much as a single pynch pulley or sailing ball bearing:

Cost of all three is about the same ~ $14-16. Thoughts?
I like the idea of the 1st set having the bearings, after playing with the pynch the other day they got warm. Would be interesting to see a comparison of them to the ones you posted

Attachments

• 20230613_151753.jpg
    20230613_151753.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 95
I recieved some of the Pynch Pulleys and did my own testing for efficiency. They didn't impress me. See below:

I setup a 2:1 and 3:1 in a block and tackle setup using good quality 550 paracord. I was pulling down to lift a load of 50lbs (rove to disadvantage) just like I would to hang quarters.

Using my bow scale the load (dumb bells) measured 48-50lbs without mechanical advantage. In a 3:1 setup I had to get the rope tension to ~43-45lbs before I could lift the load. Once suspended the rope tension was almost exactly 16lbs as you'd expect. To lower the load the rope tension gets to nearly 0lbs before it starts to lower.

In a single pulley lift (no mech advantage) the rope tension hit a staggering ~70lbs before I could get the 50lb load to lift. This is with nearly 180 degree wrap.

I also tested 75lb load lift in a 3:1 setup and felt like I could barely get it off the ground even with a t-handle. Rope tension hit ~66lbs before it came off the ground.

My findings align with this website which shows throwing a line over a 0.5" diameter carabiner with no sheave provide ~54% efficiency. I think due to the small size of the Pynch Pulley ball bearing you end up with a similar result.

I recieved some of the Pynch Pulleys and did my own testing for efficiency. They didn't impress me. See below:

I setup a 2:1 and 3:1 in a block and tackle setup using good quality 550 paracord. I was pulling down to lift a load of 50lbs (rove to disadvantage) just like I would to hang quarters.

Using my bow scale the load (dumb bells) measured 48-50lbs without mechanical advantage. In a 3:1 setup I had to get the rope tension to ~43-45lbs before I could lift the load. Once suspended the rope tension was almost exactly 16lbs as you'd expect. To lower the load the rope tension gets to nearly 0lbs before it starts to lower.

In a single pulley lift (no mech advantage) the rope tension hit a staggering ~70lbs before I could get the 50lb load to lift. This is with nearly 180 degree wrap.

I also tested 75lb load lift in a 3:1 setup and felt like I could barely get it off the ground even with a t-handle. Rope tension hit ~66lbs before it came off the ground.

My findings align with this website which shows throwing a line over a 0.5" diameter carabiner with no sheave provide ~54% efficiency. I think due to the small size of the Pynch Pulley ball bearing you end up with a similar result.

UPDATE:

I'm in contact with Wiser to see if the ones I recieved are faulty in any way. BTW they have been incredibly supportive and great to deal with so far.