Wiring A Thermostat For Goodman Heat Pump-Help!

ElkNut1

WKR
Any HVAC guys around that may be able to assist?

It's a Honeywell T3 thermostat. 5 total wires. I have Y-to-Y --- R-to-R --- G-to-G --- White to E (emergency heat) Blue to O/B for reversing valve. (there is no orange wire) Battery operated so no black common needed. I have a W & W2 terminal but instructions say do not use. I was curious if I needed to pigtail one of those to the E?

With this done I only have Heat, no cooling? I noticed in furnace room that the Blue & Green wire were wire nutted together?? I then added a jumper to the O/B (reversing valve) & to the G & got Cooling but no heating unless I removed jumper from one of the terminals I jumped. Seems something is wired odd in furnace room. All other colors wire nutted together match? Any help is appreciated! Pulling hair out in Idaho! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Read the manual, does it have the ability to change the O/B to energize in heat more or cool mode. Sounds like you may need to change the setting. Google shows that T3 will work for a heat pump. Just want to be sure you have a heat pump with supplemental electric heat?

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys! I think we have it figured out, I'll report back!

ElkNut

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks to MTN Humper for his assistance, couldn't have done it without him!

The thermostat was one that needed to be first programmed no matter the wiring configuration. News to me but all works great! Thank you!

ElkNut

gburk

WKR
Ha, just so happened I was installing a new Honeywell thermostat yesterday too. Not that I would have been much help, was mostly able to maintain the color mappings from the old one (though I think I know now why the aux heat never used to come on upstairs)

But who wouldn’t want to help the ElkNut stay cool?? Glad you got it figured out.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks!

The issue wasn't the wiring it was that it came programmed for a conventional A/C unit. We had a Heat Pump so the thermostat had to be digitally reprogrammed from one to the other. All is good!

ElkNut