Wind/thermal question

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
To paint the picture…
Access is mid-mountain and all the fresh sign and elk are below the trail.
Starting at the top in the mornings with thermals going down creates a challenge. Obviously, it’s not ideal but that’s where the access is and the quite elk are located.

What’s your approach to make your way to the elk in the morning? Keep in mind it’s quite so you don’t know exactly where they are. Could be anywhere within a 1000’ elevation below you.

How far do you think your scent will carry and the elk catch it?

I found myself in this position last week and I was very hesitant to start until the thermals switched later in the morning. If the elk were talking, it would have made my approach easier as I would have known where they were and could move accordingly.

If it's a tight drainage, I'd go down in a heartbeat as the elk are most likely feeding on the walls above it.

Sled

WKR
can you move in laterally? as in, drop down early in the canyon and contour until you get below them or move into them.

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What does tight drainage actually refer to?

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
can you move in laterally? as in, drop down early in the canyon and contour until you get below them or move into them.

That would be ideal if I knew where exactly they were in the canyon. I was hesitant to dive in just any where because I didn’t want to blow them out. For all I knew, they could have been 100yds below or .5 mile at the other end