Wind meter

Poe

FNG
I am getting into longer range hunting and I think my next purchase needs to be a wind meter. I am thinking of getting a kestrel but I don’t know which one to buy. I don’t want to buy the most expensive one around if I’m not going to use half of the features but I also don’t want cheap out and wish I got a better one. What do you think is the bottom end that is still worth buying

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
By no means an expert. But if you buy a 5700, it’s like $450, it has link so you can pair it to a rangefinder like the Leica or sig. and has most of the options you want on it, then if you decide you want to upgrade to the 5700 elite- which is $750, it’s a $300 software upgrade. So you’re not out any money other than the cable to Connect to a laptop.

I havnt looked into the 5700X.

But I would definitely recommend one with link,

Reactions: Poe

TaperPin

WKR
P
I am getting into longer range hunting and I think my next purchase needs to be a wind meter. I am thinking of getting a kestrel but I don’t know which one to buy. I don’t want to buy the most expensive one around if I’m not going to use half of the features but I also don’t want cheap out and wish I got a better one. What do you think is the bottom end that is still worth buying
By all means get one that links, talks to satellites, dvd, Bluetooth, dual floppy drive, hard drive, panavision, oled, extra sauce - the whole works.

Depending on where and how you tend to use it, some folks get by really well with a simple wind number. Estimating wind out in front of you is the hard part, so the number off the gauge isn’t absolute. Of course everyone has a wind meter, but I’ll bet only half the folks take it with them every time. I have a cheap $30 one similar to the Caldwell and figure I’ll replace it when it craps out. My engineer friend says the electronics for a simple wind reading are as basic as a circuit can be, so if you don’t need fancy, cheap can work pretty good.

Back a decade before Kestrels were born, in 1985 I started using a Dwyer wind meter with a little white styrofoam ball that floats inside along the scale and mine still works today. Heck, they still make ‘em. I keep mine in the truck - if a meth head breaks in they will see that, feel sorry for me, and leave a $20 bill. :)

Imagine that, Fudds had an old school wind meter that worked pretty good.

49E41EDC-6CFC-48C7-8FCC-7C8CC71C253D.jpegA47F7497-6924-4F8B-B58C-29D3E5100FE5.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Poe