Winchester 70 extreme weather or savage 110 tactical ??

I’m either gonna get 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 prc

What rifle would you buy of the two above?
Win 70 extreme weather or savage 110 tactical

Any and all opinions welcomed !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the price. Savage makes very accurate rifles IME. They also have a 110 "storm" all weather version.

If the price difference is less than $200, I'd lean towards the Winchester as well. If its much more than that, I'm not sure it's worth it. A dead elk or deer won't know the difference either. Use the extra $$$ for better glass.

22lr

WKR
For a hunting gun, the Winchester cannot be beat. Also, the M70 is about 1.5lbs lighter, which isn't a huge deal in a tree stand gun, but helps keep weight manageable if you want to be more mobile. Not a hard choice for me, but I admittedly have bit of a love affair with the M70 series!

WCB

WKR
You could get a Savage Ultralite for around $100 more than the Winchester. I've shot a number of Winchester M70s and Savages. I must not be as picky on rifles because I have no idea how Winchesters are deemed far superior. But you won't find much Savage love because they aren't the cool guy Tikka or Grandads old M70. IMO I really like the new savage accufit stocks as off the shelf guns rarely fit anybody perfect. Then add an unknown optic and fit goes to hell fast.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I heard several good reports on the Win 70 quality and accuracy. If it were me, I would get the Winchester.

You could get a Savage Ultralite for around $100 more than the Winchester. I've shot a number of Winchester M70s and Savages. I must not be as picky on rifles because I have no idea how Winchesters are deemed far superior. But you won't find much Savage love because they aren't the cool guy Tikka or Grandads old M70. IMO I really like the new savage accufit stocks as off the shelf guns rarely fit anybody perfect. Then add an unknown optic and fit goes to hell fast.

Savage has a lot of things going for it IMO. Reputation for cheap accuracy, the "higher end" tupperware stocks have good ergos for me, can get one with a proof barrel for a good price, etc. But to me all of that is negated by the gun having a savage action. I've seen a couple guys with atrocious head spacing or chamber and they are well know for extraction/ejection issues. And they just feel gritty as hell.

I'm also probably biased because it seems a lot of my rifles end up getting a new barrel or stock so I'd want the action that i'm sticking with to be a high point rather than the low point.

If it's for whitetails 6.5 Creedmoor in savage lightweight storm is a nice carrying rifle. I don't think I would mess with the "tactical " unless it's shooting off a bench . If your thinking elk as well might be worth getting 6.5 prc in a savage storm . The savage ultralite with carbon barrel is a nice lightweight rifle . Cost reflects. Unless accu-stock most savages do have " Tupperware" stocks . The ones I've owned were ugly but shot nice . No comment on the winchester . Good luck

WCB

WKR
Savage has a lot of things going for it IMO. Reputation for cheap accuracy, the "higher end" tupperware stocks have good ergos for me, can get one with a proof barrel for a good price, etc. But to me all of that is negated by the gun having a savage action. I've seen a couple guys with atrocious head spacing or chamber and they are well know for extraction/ejection issues. And they just feel gritty as hell.

I'm also probably biased because it seems a lot of my rifles end up getting a new barrel or stock so I'd want the action that i'm sticking with to be a high point rather than the low point.
I've seen Winchesters, Remingtons, Tikkas, Sakos with issues also.

I've seen or had zero extraction/feeding issues through thousands of rounds in Savages of all different models and calibers and know of zero issues on probably a dozen other Savages owned by friends or family. I am not a total Savage loyalist either as I have other makes and models and some "custom" guns.

Ok action isn't the smoothest but FAR superior is a far cry. And unless a guy is caressing is rifles botl back and forth...IMO who cares. Run the gun with purpose.

SDHNTR

WKR
One is a Harbor Freight wrench, the other is a Craftsman. They both get the job done. One has nicer fit and finish. One is just cheap. Take your pick.

Last edited:
What exactly is the complaints on the Savage actions? I have shot decent amount, but with limited platforms and Savage was not one of them.

SDHNTR

WKR
What exactly is the complaints on the Savage actions? I have shot decent amount, but with limited platforms and Savage was not one of them.
They are rough as chit, binding, gritty, unfinished. And the stock inletting fit is terrible, uncentered barrels, sloppy mag wells, gawd awful rough metal finish prone to rust, sharp edges, bla, bla, bla. The only Savage I’ve ever felt that was worth owning is a 99. I won’t argue their accuracy as that is generally good, but they look and feel like a turd in the hands.