Williams Western Precision Sight - reticle w/ holdovers - Need Info

gtriple

WKR
I've got a Knight UL with the Williams Western Precision sight set using the crosshair reticle with the holdovers. I'm wondering exactly what the "come-up" of the holdovers are.

Their website says:
"The bullet drop compensating reticle was designed with a 250-grain bullet and 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder. This load has been a standard load for use in the CVA Accura muzzleloaders, as well as the Traditions Vortek and Thompson/Center Triumph muzzleloaders. With this load and the Western Precision Sight set, we recommend zeroing at 100 yards with the main crosshair. This should put the next sub-tension dead-on at 175 yards, and the thick part of the crosshair at 200 yards."​
If anyone knows their bullet info and velocity, I could correlate it to my load. I'm shooting 84gr by weight of Blackhorn 209 and a Thor 50 cal, 300gr Hammer at about 1950fps.

I shoot a Knight Ultra-Lite .50 with the Williams Western Precision sight, 110 grain (by volume) BH209 and 270 grain bullet. With this reticle, I sight the main crosshair dead on at 100. The next cross hair down (where the small circle meets the vertical hair), my bullet is dead on at 250 yards. I have not chronoed my load.

Using the main crosshair at 150 yards, my bullet drops 7 inches. Using the main crosshair at 200 yards, my bullet drops approximately 16 inches.

I wanted to use the ballistic plex reticle that you are referring to, but it made the sight picture too busy for my liking.
b570c603f6eee326145282ecab629df8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdcour

FNG
@gtriple did you ever figure out the yardages for hold over? I just got an UL and will be shooting your exact load unless I decide to drop down a little on powder (76gr by weight is about 100 volume for me).

I've been impressed with the accuracy of the crosshairs so far, but haven't had a chance to really dial in my load at distance yet.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in the same information for the same reason and the same setup with the difference being mine is a CVA Optima V2 and I am using 100gr Triple 7. Going to the range to test/sight in today except it only goes to 100yds

Also interested. I also just got front globe and plan on installing it and testing it out soon.
Im shooting Hornady 290gr FX with BH209 78gr (by weight) (didnt chrono so dont know fps)
With that load using scope im getting following drops (im in metric)
100m - zero
150m - 15cm (6”)
200m - 46cm (18 1/4”)
250m - 94cm (37”)

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
range update- my range only goes to 100 yards (I'm in America) but I was able to use the fineness of these sights to get a few 3rd groups that were ~1.25" They are a huge step up from the factory sights. Will have to get out and test at longer distances.

tdcour

FNG
Are you shooting the Thor 300? I tried to save some money and see if the Hornady Bore Driver would work in my gun but all I could get was 3-3.5" groups at 100. I have shot Thors in the past and they shot good, so went back to them.

I'm waiting on the wind to calm down here before I shoot longer distance. 10-15mph cross wind isn't ideal.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, the tipped 300gr Thors. They are pricey but the best deals I've found on them are on muzzle-loaders.com in the 50pk. I have used bore specific and the lightning with a slight preference for the bore specific.

tdcour

FNG
Good to know on lightning. Looked at those but have experience with bore specific shooting good so went that way. Of course the .502s I have on hand were too big for my new gun.

Ready to get this gun and sight dialed in and start lobbing some rounds down range

Goshawk

FNG
I just got the fiber optic green front sight for this, Bc the crosshairs are just too blurry with my 50 year old eyes. Trying to get it dialed in for my CO hunt in Sept. hoping the fiber optic will be the ticket. Anyone tried it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooting a Trad Vortek and a 240 gr Precision Rifle Bullet Sabot (40x50), 70 grs by wt. BH209. 2" high at 50, dead on at 150. The hash mark below the crosshair is dead on at 225.

Elev: 5450 ft.
Air temp: 60 deg F.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
@gtriple did you ever figure out the yardages for hold over? I just got an UL and will be shooting your exact load unless I decide to drop down a little on powder (76gr by weight is about 100 volume for me).

I've been impressed with the accuracy of the crosshairs so far, but haven't had a chance to really dial in my load at distance yet.
I did not. I just shot at 100yards with each of the sub-tensions, measured the holdover and calculated the holdover range. It was about 150/175 IIRC. I can't find the info I wrote down unfortunately.

As a note, the "MOA" of the reticle is not a set value, which is why they don't provide it. Since the length between the rear and front sight is different per rifle, the angle that the fixed subtensions create will be different. You could measure the distance from your rear sight to your front sight, then measure the subtensions, and calculate the angles of each. It may not be exact but would be a good starting point.

tdcour

FNG
Ok, so here is what I have so far...

Knight Ultralite with nitride barrel. Williams peep and globe. Globe is installed in the hole furthest towards the end of the barrel. Not sure what the measurement is between the two.

I am 2" high at 100 yards with the main crosshair. This puts me pretty much dead on at 150 yards. The second smaller crosshair lines up perfectly at 200 for me. This should put the spot where the larger part of the crosshair and the thinner part meet at roughly 230-250. I haven't shot that one yet to confirm.

114 grains blackhorn by volume which is 84 grains by weight with my lot I'm shooting. This, I think, has me somewhere around the 1900-1950 fps velocity, again haven't confirmed. This is with a .501 diameter 300 grain ballistic tip Thor and W209 primers with a BeStill plug. Below is my bullet trajectory from what I've shot so far.

+2" @ 100y
0 @ 150y
-6 @ 200y