Wide foot, higher volume suggestions please.

the hack

WKR
I have used Schnee's Beartooths for a few years and have loved them. Have wanted something stiffer and found that their Granites did not work well for me--heel lock and toe box slightly different despite being built onnthe same last. I have used La Spotiva Trangos and Crispi Briksdahls too.

I appreciate anyone's input!

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing kentreks, but I am looking for something similar in fit, not not as rigid.

13 Eee. Crispi fan here. Thor, Wyoming and Nevada all work well for me. For colder hunts, I also have a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes that work but I prefer the Crispi fit. If I ever manage to kill those, I will replace them with Crispi wild rocks.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear, issue I have is there is no where to try them in Canada, well near me so it’s shipping back and forth if they don’t fit which is a royal
Pain in the arse and boots are a personal preference thing.

I’m hoping to get out to try a set of lowa Tibet Gtech here this coming weekend, I like my kenetrek they just put a lot of pressure on the pads of my toes and they are getting long in the tooth and have a lot of mileage on em(they are my hiking, dog walking, archery range, hunting boot going on 3.5 years old and are getting long in the tooth) I’m leaning towards something a little less stiff as well so my feet ache less and possibly lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Beartooth in wide that I really like for antelope and archery elk/deer. Had a similar issue with the Granites. For a stiffer boot I've been wearing Crispi Nevada's in standard width and they are great. I'm glad I didn't get a wide in the Crispi.

nphunter

WKR
Size up a size and that will help a ton. I've fought boot width for as long as I can remember and have recently started sizing up 1-1.5 sizes, the extra room in the toe box is welcome in the steep stuff.
I wouldn't consider any of the Crispi's stiff, to me my Nevada's felt like wearing cheap Walmart boots after wearing Scarpas.

kcm2

WKR
I have a high volume 9.5 4E width problem. In 2021, I went on an archery hunt where i was hiking from 9-12 miles per day at altitude My feet responded by blistering for the first time in places I'd never had problems before. So, I'm spending the money for the Lathrop and Sons boots and will report on them for next hunting season. They have an extra wide now and are shaping the boots for my non-standard feet. Should have them early December.

kcm2

WKR
For light duty boots, New Balance has a $160 hiker than comes in 4E and 6E widths. I have a pair in 9.5 6E and love them. They would not be my first choice for packing out an elk, as they are more akin to a pair of tennis shoes for ankle support but they are my elk boots for this year by default. And they are extremely comfortable.

DeBear

FNG
I have a high volume 9.5 4E width problem. In 2021, I went on an archery hunt where i was hiking from 9-12 miles per day at altitude My feet responded by blistering for the first time in places I'd never had problems before. So, I'm spending the money for the Lathrop and Sons boots and will report on them for next hunting season. They have an extra wide now and are shaping the boots for my non-standard feet. Should have them early December.
Could you give feedback on your experience with L&S and their boot you got ?

TheHammer

WKR
I love my kenetreks. I’ve tried a handful of other boots. If they fit your foot and you can break them in. Tough to beat.

Danner Santiams are nice set of US made wide insulated boots. I love mine, for later seasons in less steep terrain. They have a softer sole style that is really quiet, at the expense of some of the steep country traction the stiffer soled Vibram boots give.

I have the La Sportiva Makalus for my stiff mountain boots, and while they take a LONG time to break in, they are fantastic once they do. The Glaciers look like a similar and slightly less stiff version, they look nice as well. I have high arches and EE width feet so I went up 1/2 size.

Definitely recommend some SheepFeet or similar, whatever you end up with.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Keen's, they're not Booji or expensive enough for some but they work.
About all I wear.

kcm2

WKR
Could you give feedback on your experience with L&S and their boot you got ?
Certainly. They sent me a tracing kit fwhich you send back, and then, they'll call and spend a half hour or more on the phone with you to determine your needs and discuss what they can do. Give them a credit card, and then, it took about a month. They don't just send the boot, they'll modify it for your feet. Mine are high volume, and triangular, which means the front needed to be opened up. Perfect fit, i"m breaking in my pair for next hunting season a few miles a week. It'll get more aggressive when the snow melts a bit, but I've put probably 2-3 dozen miles on them. They'll call again to see how things are going. New boots, with custom inserts. Money well spent after my fiasco last year. Last pair of hunting boots I should ever need.

Last edited:
I am currently wearing Zamberlan 960GTR (8W, I KNOW!).
I had Vasque Bitterroots that I loved.
If you buy Danner, they use different lasts depending on model.
My uninsulated USA Danners have a very sloppy fit compared to others.
FYI.