Why do rifle hunters use Camouflage ? The few times I’ve used a rifle I never wore camo of any kind.. seems silly.

I think you wear what you have. I've arrowed elk wearing solids. I've killed turkeys wearing solids. I've rifle killed animals beyond 200 yards wearing camo. I pick my clothing to wear for the day more for the meteorological conditions. If something I bought to turkey hunt (camo) is best for my day of rifle hunting I'll wear it. And the reverse is also true.

BluMtn

WKR
I use camo not for the game but to sit a watch other hunters. There have been many times I have been tucked in next to a scrub bush and not move and had other people walk 5 or 6' away from me and never know I am in the same part of the world as them. One time I was looking for my SIL on an open hillside and walked past him twice before I noticed him.

I mean you might plan to shoot 400 yards but nothing says those animals won't pop out behind you 40 yards away. I think this trend for the solids so people can look stylish in the backcountry is hilarious, gotta look good for the gram I guess. I wear whatever pieces fit the conditions, yeah got lots of solids but typically mix and match. At one point I laughed and pointed out to my wife that I had 5 completely different camo brands/patterns on all at the same time.

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
Ontario orange is mandatory during gun seasons, I wouldn’t wear it if I had the option unless I was doing upland with a 2nd guy or deer drives

Article 4

WKR
I hunt in a state where no orange is required and sometimes I dont want anyone or anything to see where I am or going, especially on public ground....plus the technical ability of the camo clothes I run in inclement and not ideal temps is designed to layer and keep my safe...can woo do it, yeah but I choose high quality camo

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus most guys probably hunt archery or other game during the year where camo is needed. Does it make sense to spend 100's to thousands of dollars for a deer hunt when you can go to your local market and buy your meat? That doesn't make sense, but we do it because its what we like to do. In the end it doesn't have to make sense to you it just needs to make sense to the individual wearing it.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I’m coming from a perspective almost exclusively based on Midwest and Eastern whitetails, but I think a lot of it comes from not wanting to have multiple sets of hunting clothes. In addition, lots of the purpose-built hunting garments only came in camo for a long time, or so it seems to me. In WI where I grew up, bow season lasts 3-4 months depending on the unit you’re in, while rifle season lasts 9 days.

For me personally, I’ve pretty much quit wearing camo across the board, even for bowhunting. I don’t think it really matters that much (or at all), the deer don’t pick me off any more or less than they did before.

Rich M

WKR
The reason most folks wear camo is cause camo clothes are cheap and easy and sold as "hunting clothes". Any other supposition is feeding into the marketing propaganda.

There is no real advantage to wearing camo, especially rifle hunting when you need to wear an article or 500-inches of blaze orange or pink.

Wear an earth tone and slay critters. Movement is what causes problems for people. You don't move or skylight yerself and the animal doesn't see you.

geterdone

FNG
The clothing that fits my hunting style, athletic fit, lightweight, multiple layer options, and breathable/waterproof, come in camo patterns. So why not wear a camo pattern, it cannot hurt anything. My hunting clothing is not my everyday wear. It sits in Rubbermaid bins during the off-season. Last me 10+ years typically.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk