Who's going to the Kifaru Grand Opening Party?

hunterjmj

WKR
Anyone going? Were going down to to Lander to make a mini vacation out of it. We've been busy building a house and shop so this will be our only trip this summer.

Bummed to hear Frank left the company. Seemed like a guy you’d want to grind out a hunt with.
Bummed to hear Frank left the company. Seemed like a guy you’d want to grind out a hunt with.
yeah that blows. A great hunting partner and a great business partner are 2 different things though. He was probably walking Snyder's pecker into the dirt 😎

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
I started a thread that went poof so I won’t post the screenshots from franks instagram on here again. Doesn’t sound like it was a good deal. I met frank once at an archery range in Denver. Seemed like a genuine guy and was nice as could be. Basically exactly as he came across on the podcast…speaking of podcast I don’t remember the last time he was on there so maybe this has been coming for a while?

svivian

WKR
I started a thread that went poof so I won’t post the screenshots from franks instagram on here again. Doesn’t sound like it was a good deal. I met frank once at an archery range in Denver. Seemed like a genuine guy and was nice as could be. Basically exactly as he came across on the podcast…speaking of podcast I don’t remember the last time he was on there so maybe this has been coming for a while?
Of course it did….

Ten Bears

WKR

That sucks to hear. I wondered if Frank had got a bad deal. What was the general gist of it ?

What did I miss? Haven’t seen or heard this before. I have a few Kifarucasts to catch up on; maybe the news is there…
I wouldn't be surprised if that filmed hunt before the move had something to do with it. Those black eyes take a while to heal. But i don't want to speculate.

Last edited:
I just Googled the address of their new showroom. No effing way I'd ever move there lol wouldn't be surprised if they lose more than just Frank after one winter of living there. Hope the company does well though because I love my kifaru frame. Aron is knowledgeable but seems very hard to stay friends with after a while.

woods89

WKR
I just Googled the address of their new showroom. No effing way I'd ever move there lol wouldn't be surprised if they lose more than just Frank after one winter of living there. Hope the company does well though because I love my kifaru frame. Aron is knowledgeable but seems very hard to stay friends with after a while.
I'm going to preface this by saying I have a 2nd Gen Duplex with DT1 and Highcamp 4800 bags, and they have worked well for me. I'm not trying to be a hater here, but ......

I could potentially see some issues for Kifaru in the coming years. It feels like for the last while they've been rearranging bag layouts, and the like, but at the same time Stone Glacier and Seek Outside have been experimenting with some new fabrics and have really been pushing the lightweight barrier, with what appears to be acceptable durability and very adequate weight carrying ability. Looking at Kifaru's current lineup, I just don't see the kind of innovation that some other companies have. It's true, their stuff is bombproof, and the duplex frame design works great, but you can't ride current designs forever. I think Patrick Smith is responsible for the reputation we've come to know, and I wonder if current management has gotten a little too comfortable riding that reputation.

If I was on the market right now, I'd be looking elsewhere, because it's really hard to ignore the weights some other companies are achieving. That all said, I hope they do well, crank up the research, and keep the competition healthy.

tdhanses

WKR
I'm going to preface this by saying I have a 2nd Gen Duplex with DT1 and Highcamp 4800 bags, and they have worked well for me. I'm not trying to be a hater here, but ......

I could potentially see some issues for Kifaru in the coming years. It feels like for the last while they've been rearranging bag layouts, and the like, but at the same time Stone Glacier and Seek Outside have been experimenting with some new fabrics and have really been pushing the lightweight barrier, with what appears to be acceptable durability and very adequate weight carrying ability. Looking at Kifaru's current lineup, I just don't see the kind of innovation that some other companies have. It's true, their stuff is bombproof, and the duplex frame design works great, but you can't ride current designs forever. I think Patrick Smith is responsible for the reputation we've come to know, and I wonder if current management has gotten a little too comfortable riding that reputation.

If I was on the market right now, I'd be looking elsewhere, because it's really hard to ignore the weights some other companies are achieving. That all said, I hope they do well, crank up the research, and keep the competition healthy.
I’ve tried all the ones including exo and for my body type Kifaru has been the best, I don’t think lightest is necessarily innovation but I will say the others are nice.

Last edited:
OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I've never lived there but we have friends in Lander, which is down the road and that part of Wyoming is gorgeous. If I didn't live in Montana I'd definitely look into that area. I guess everyone has different likes.