Who have you used to get a DUI taken care of for travel to Canada?

IDShane

WKR
My friend and I plan to hunt in British Columbia for Mountain Goats in 2024 and we both have DUI's on our records. Mine is over 30 years old and his is 11 years old. Have any of you used someone specific that can get this taken care of legally? I am told that these can be expunged but I am looking for someone trustworthy to work with. Thank you in advance!
Shane

Will_m

WKR
Expunction would be a state specific matter. Usually pretty simple. Any of your DUI yellow page guys can handle that.

I work in and around Canada and many of our employees have had this same problem. I don’t have the specifics sorry but I know it can be very costly for some depending on background and severity of charges.......used to really like Canada but it’s a PITA nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I am using www.pardonsandwaivers.com

Just started the process last month. Paid them, got fingerprints done recently, so am a long way from being done and able to recommend them. But so far they seem very professional and responsive to any inquiries I have made.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard of a few people that have issues, but the only first hand accounts I know of, were people that got DUI in Canada. I know people that traveled up there after they had one down here, and had no problems. But I am pretty sure if you had one up there, you are banned for life.
I would want to know for sure before planning a hunt though...

dtrkyman

WKR
A friend of mine had been up their hunting for 4 or 5 years straight, then they stopped him and denied him, something showed up on his record from like 20 years prior and it wasn't even a conviction, some kind of paper work BS.

I would definitely contact the Cnadian border side.

I personally will not likely go back to that over regulated political dump!

MattB

WKR
I have heard of a few people that have issues, but the only first hand accounts I know of, were people that got DUI in Canada. I know people that traveled up there after they had one down here, and had no problems. But I am pretty sure if you had one up there, you are banned for life.
I would want to know for sure before planning a hunt though...
The issue generally applies to DUI’s in the US.

wyosteve

WKR
I'd second, before using any service, contact Canada and see what they require and make sure the service can provide that.

jayhawk

WKR
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but here's how I understand it:

I don't know the exact year, but Canada recently raised the level of offense of a DUI (they don't have a misdemeanor/felony system). It used to not be a big deal to get into Canada with one on your record, but now it is harder to get in since they raised the penalty.

Talked to a buddy who tried to get in and they turned them away. Said "Heck they brought stuff up that we forgot we'd done!" Haha

Fatcamp

WKR
From what I understood years ago from the waterfowl hunting forums, and it sounds even worse now, is that no matter what you do in the end it comes down to the opinion of the individual officer you encounter when you attempt to cross.

I seem to remember a member here disagreeing with that and having advice on a broker or business that could guarantee entry.

Those duck and goose hunters had some bad stories about people being really upset and trips ruined after trying to enter with a DUI convicted member. It was bad enough I just wrote it off.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
From what I understood years ago from the waterfowl hunting forums, and it sounds even worse now, is that no matter what you do in the end it comes down to the opinion of the individual officer you encounter when you attempt to cross.

I seem to remember a member here disagreeing with that and having advice on a broker or business that could guarantee entry.

Those duck and goose hunters had some bad stories about people being really upset and trips ruined after trying to enter with a DUI convicted member. It was bad enough I just wrote it off.
It sounds like most of those stories are from people entering via car. I am supposed to go on a duck hunt next September in Saskatchewan and I know we are flying into ND and then driving across the border. It would make sense, specifically to ask about DUIs, if you are driving a vehicle.

Going through customs at the airport is apparently a different process. I got in no problem in 2018 via customs in Toronto airport....no one asked me anything about my background. They looked at my passport, my forms for my rifle, and my baggage, asked me how long I would be there, etc. and stamped my passport. Having said that, it sounds like things are different now, so I paid one of these companies who handle the administrative submittals with the Canadian govt, as I don't want to leave anything to chance for my sheep hunt in August.

Wow this is all news to me. I don’t have a DUI and don’t have a trip planned to Canada soon but a buddy who would be likely to join if I did, does have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk