White Cloud Peaks 36a-4

After 12 years of fronting Idaho a substantial portion of my savings I finally drew my dream tag for goats. I know its likely not the best unit as far as quality but I’m stoked to run around some cool country. I’ll be making a few scouting trips (11 hour drive one way) but am currently just trying to gather as much access info as possible. I’ve talked to a previous tag holder who mentioned that road camping is definitely doable off the 4th of July road but I’d much rather backpack hunt into some of the less easily accessible spots in the unit. I have an email in to the unit biologist and am awaiting a response but I figured I’d reach out here. Any one with any experience in the area I’m all ears on anything you’d like to share. Trailheads to utilize, access road condition, anything. Thank you!

P Carter

WKR
Pm me. I’ve backpacked around that area a bunch. I know where a big ol goat hangs out in the next unit over and have seen a bunch of tracks around your unit. There’s a real popular backpacking loop through that area.

J2C

FNG
Pm me. I’ve backpacked around that area a bunch. I know where a big ol goat hangs out in the next unit over and have seen a bunch of tracks around your unit. There’s a real popular backpacking loop through that area.
I just got on this site and saw your post. I have a 36A-3 Mt Goat tag and was just wondering if that's the unit you saw the big ol goat?

H280

FNG
Hell yeah! That’s some awesome country! You’ll be having a ton of fun!

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I have put in (unsuccessfully) for the same tag the last 3 years as well. I hunt antelope just north of there down in the valley and absolutely love the country. I would like more info on the hunt. Most importantly, the story of the hunt, but also: What weapon did you harvest with? Did you see a fair number of goats? Also did you see any sheep during your hunt? I am tossing around the idea of ditching the goat application next year in favor of a sheep application.