Whisker Biscuit

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if anyone can tell me why I should not be shooting with a whisker biscuit? It seems like I don't see them very much anymore but I like the simplicity. Just curious. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
I shot them exclusively for 8 years and trying to figure that out now with several drop always.
So far the WB beats them all for hunting simplicity.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I currently use a whisker and always have, looked at switching a few years back and looked at pros and cons whisker came out wayyyy ahead for hunting. Can't say I agree with them being noisy, others rests have noise too and can fail. The biscuit has a little noise it also depends what type of arrow you are shooting as well as raw carbon arrows will have more noise. I hunt extremely pressured whitetails and never had an issue with noise on my biscuit, movement and sticking out IE not hidden well enough in the tree will give you away long before the noise on a biscuit in my experience. I've hunted in freezing rain and blizzards all day many times with my biscuit with icicles forming on my arrow and bow and shot bucks even out to 50 yds under those conditions. I don't think I would trust a drop away after spending 8 hours in freezing rain with ice forming on it that an automatic nix imo since I love hunting whitetails during adverse winter conditions, no ones out and the deer on are the move! Sure other rests work in above freezing temps with no precipitation. You can also move your bow in any way without worrying about your arrow falling off that doesn't seem like a big issue now but it can be and it takes your full attention away from focusing on the shot. Accuracy is more than adequate as long as I do my part. I would list pros and cons and go from there use what works for you not what everyone else is using you will be happier and kill more deer because of it.

Last edited:

Kilboars

WKR
I currently use a whisker and always have, looked at switching a few years back and looked at pros and cons whisker came out wayyyy ahead for hunting. Can't say I agree with them being noisy, others rests have noise too and can fail. The biscuit has a little noise it also depends what type of arrow you are shooting as well as raw carbon arrows will have more noise. I hunt extremely pressured whitetails and never had an issue with noise on my biscuit, movement and sticking out IE not hidden well enough in the tree will give you away long before the noise on a biscuit in my experience. I've hunted in freezing rain and blizzards all day many times with my biscuit with icicles forming on my arrow and bow and shot bucks even out to 50 yds under those conditions. I don't think I would trust a drop away after spending 8 hours in freezing rain with ice forming on it that an automatic nix imo since I love hunting whitetails during adverse winter conditions, no ones out and the deer on are the move! Sure other rests work in above freezing temps with no precipitation. You can also move your bow in any way without worrying about your arrow falling off that doesn't seem like a big issue now but it can be and it takes your full attention away from focusing on the shot. Accuracy is more than adequate as long as I do my part. I would list pros and cons and go from there use what works for you not what everyone else is using you will be happier and kill more deer because of it.

So true. You're making me think I should go back to the whisker biscuit.

One point you kind of touched on was holding your arrows contained but also quiet. I missed a 31lbs Osceola turkey this year because my arrow smacked my arrow when I had to let down. Never would have happened with a WB. Now I'm spending lots of time trying to cover my riser, sights and rests with foam tape and shrink tube in case I need to let down.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider

Being able to move the bow in any direction is huge for me. I hunt out of a climber quite a bit and being able to just lay the bow on the rail when I inevitably forget a bow hanger is real nice.

As for the noise I shoot FMJs and if I keep them clean and lubed I notice very little noise.

Thanks for all the comments. Feeling better about the WB now.

Kilboars

WKR
Being able to move the bow in any direction is huge for me. I hunt out of a climber quite a bit and being able to just lay the bow on the rail when I inevitably forget a bow hanger is real nice.

As for the noise I shoot FMJs and if I keep them clean and lubed I notice very little noise.

Thanks for all the comments. Feeling better about the WB now.

Look at the Black Eagle Rampage arrow for smooth straight arrows with a little weight to them and also third hand archery for a nice bow holder for a climber.

Products Detail

Also their stabilizer straps if you don't already have them. A must for any climber IMO.

Products Detail

kodiakfly

WKR
I've never shot one, but my guess would be partly that they aren't "technical" enough. If you read over at AT, everyone there is part Levi Morgan and part aeronautical ballistic engineer. I've said for a long time that the trend these days is to put WAY too much emphasis (read: blame) on the tuning and technical, micrometer aspects of their bows, rather than on their own form and practice. I mean, a sight or a rest without micro adjust and titanium electron bearings!...and here's a rest that's made out of nylon fibers that rubs your arrow throughout the whole shot...how can you even shoot that??

My point is, I think a lot of people discount them because they don't fit with their $400 sight and $300 stab set ups. My Wife shoots one and it's been fine. Her bow tunes and she shoots it no problem. I think a lot of folks think they can't shoot well unless their bow accessories are aerospace grade and tuned by NASA.

worx53

WKR
I've never shot one, but my guess would be partly that they aren't "technical" enough. If you read over at AT, everyone there is part Levi Morgan and part aeronautical ballistic engineer. I've said for a long time that the trend these days is to put WAY too much emphasis (read: blame) on the tuning and technical, micrometer aspects of their bows, rather than on their own form and practice. I mean, a sight or a rest without micro adjust and titanium electron bearings!...and here's a rest that's made out of nylon fibers that rubs your arrow throughout the whole shot...how can you even shoot that??

My point is, I think a lot of people discount them because they don't fit with their $400 sight and $300 stab set ups. My Wife shoots one and it's been fine. Her bow tunes and she shoots it no problem. I think a lot of folks think they can't shoot well unless their bow accessories are aerospace grade and tuned by NASA.

THIS sums it up I think. I'll add that sooner or later a drop away will cost you at least one chance at your "bull, buck, bear of a lifetime. The whisker biscuit eliminates a bunch of gadgetry!

elkguide

WKR
My son shoots a WB and even though he had a couple issues with it freezing and loading up with snow, he won't shoot anything else. Me, I shoot drop a-ways and have shot some kind of a moveable rest since the early '80's when all we had was a flipper rest to hold our arrows up off the shelf so I'd shoot whatever you're comfortable with but that all comes back to what to me makes the better archer.........

PRACTICE!
PRACTICE!
PRACTICE!

Gr8bawana

WKR
THIS sums it up I think. I'll add that sooner or later a drop away will cost you at least one chance at your "bull, buck, bear of a lifetime. The whisker biscuit eliminates a bunch of gadgetry!

^^^This^^^

Also as kodiakfly said they're not technical enough. They can't possibly work because they have been around for so long and are old fashioned. We must all have the latest and greatest newest inovations available to be successful.

nazca

FNG
I used one for a long time. I still love the simplicity of them. But over time as my shooting got better I realized I was able to notice limitations in my setup that were affecting my accuracy. When I switched away from a biscuit, I noticed two things: 1) my flyers weren't as pronounced (e.g., my bow was more forgiving) and 2) it was easier to tune so that my broadheads were closer to my field points.

For #1, I'll take all of the forgiveness I can get. I base my effective range for hunting off of my worst-case scenario. I want to know that if I really F*** up, my arrow is probably still in the vitals.

For #2, I could have theoretically fixed this without switching away from the WB. But with my last bow I spent a lot of time trying - several approaches, hundreds of shot arrows. When I switched to a drop away I had my problem fixed in one session.

One of the things that I worried about when switching was loosing the arrow containment of the WB. But it really hasn't been a big deal. I have a full containment drop away and I feel very comfortable stalking with it. Compared with the WB it is a wash. The drop away can make a bit of noise if the arrow rattles around, but it is actually full containment - whereas with my WB I would occasionally knock the arrow out of the rest.

worx53

WKR
I used one for a long time. I still love the simplicity of them. But over time as my shooting got better I realized I was able to notice limitations in my setup that were affecting my accuracy. When I switched away from a biscuit, I noticed two things: 1) my flyers weren't as pronounced (e.g., my bow was more forgiving) and 2) it was easier to tune so that my broadheads were closer to my field points.

For #1, I'll take all of the forgiveness I can get. I base my effective range for hunting off of my worst-case scenario. I want to know that if I really F*** up, my arrow is probably still in the vitals.

For #2, I could have theoretically fixed this without switching away from the WB. But with my last bow I spent a lot of time trying - several approaches, hundreds of shot arrows. When I switched to a drop away I had my problem fixed in one session.

One of the things that I worried about when switching was loosing the arrow containment of the WB. But it really hasn't been a big deal. I have a full containment drop away and I feel very comfortable stalking with it. Compared with the WB it is a wash. The drop away can make a bit of noise if the arrow rattles around, but it is actually full containment - whereas with my WB I would occasionally knock the arrow out of the rest.
Then your WB was on the edge of the "window" of tune....meaning a slight hand tweak incorrectly gave you a big flier. Trust me that drop way will fail sooner or later and you will smash it with a sledge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Bowtech experience with axis arrows 100 gr heads using either stinger buzzcut or slick trick heads and my field points and broadheads hit in the same spot out to 60 yds which is as far as I shoot. I can't shoot more than 3 arrows at the same spot I get tired of cutting vanes off arrows already in the target. One thing you need to do if your not doing it already is paper tune your bow, as far as form with a biscuit a decent form will give you good accuracy the better the form the better the accuracy. However I've shot several deer while leaning sideways wrapped halfway around a tree and still placed the arrow in the bucks vitals at 40 yds you just need to have a good follow through since your arrow is in contact with the rest longer than drop aways. To each there own no one rest is the best choice for everyone.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I have a ripcord code red drop away that I really like except one thing. I had gotten stretch out of the string and didnt notice it until I was in a prime stand location in SE MN. I always do a practice pull back when I first get set up to get the muscles going. I noticed my drop away didnt drop away. I had to head back to town to an archery shop, spent way too much time and money getting that thing dialed back in. I am considering going the traditional route but if I dont I might be switching my rest out soon.

KJH

WKR
My accuracy went WAY up doing nothing other than getting rid of the whisker biscuit. It was most noticeable at 40+ yards. I went to a fall away rest several years ago and never looked back.

I think that when the arrow is in constant contact with the rest for that long and any small change to your hold/position between the time you release the trigger until the arrow leaves the rest, you have more chances to throw off an arrow that was released with a great sight picture. The fall away stops touching the arrow at the very moment that the string moves forward. The WB touches the arrow until it leaves the bow.

I love how a WB works and the simplicity of it, especially when stalking with an arrow knocked, but I'm a much better archer without it. Every time I draw on a "trophy of a lifetime" I'm much more comfortable knowing I'm using a fall away rest.

I have used a WB exclusively for the past 10 years and have never had an issue with it. I only shoot out to about 25 yards on whitetail from my tree stand as I am a firm believer in too many variables create wounded animals. I draw on many deer a year and haven't had a single one hear the noise from the arrow FWIW.

I love being able to put the arrow in and forget about it.

I don't have experience shooting way out, and don't intend to with my current setup, but I can imagine where a drop away would be a benefit at distance.

I used to shoot them 15 or so years ago. I switched back to trad bows for a while. Mid winter, I bought a couple compounds back. Just had the urge to do it again coupled with a hurt shoulder. So, I bought a Mission craze trying to get back into it. Put a biscuit on it. I shot it for several months and bought me a new Mission Ballistic 2.0. I just had the biscuit switched over. Well, it wrinkled my razyor vanes terribly. Really bad. I had to refletch them within two weeks. A half dozen. So, I took the bow to the shop and had them check to make sure it was lined up. It was and wen I asked him why it was doing that he said that a bow that really shoots fasts with a biscuit, was hard on the vanes. So, Installed a QAD and never looked back, Since the biscuit was shooting broadheads to the same bullet hole field points were, I had no reason to doubt it. God Bless

Laker

FNG
I used a WB for years,then acquired a new bow that come with a drop away. Did not like that rest and went back to the WB on it. They just plain ole work. Someone told me that the bristles wear down causing the bow to lose tune. That kind of makes sense however I haven't noticed it on my bows.