Which State to Build NR PPs for Deer/Elk

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Correct - but the topic of the thread is Deer/Elk

And I completely agree about the $$$
Correct - no points for WY resident deer elk, pronghorn.

If one were to get involved with points at this late stage, I can't imagine limiting species. If you're already on the website, buying qualifying licenses, etc., why wouldn't you apply for every quality species.

Man, if youre willing to spend a little money and can hunt archery then there are some great hunts to be had for 3-5 points. I understand why everyone is saying that its hardly worth it to start buying but id completely disagree. It's probably never gonna feel like the right time to be buying pp.

I started 5 years ago and havent regretted one bit of it. Drew MT general combo twice. Shot a bull in archery season in '19 and a cow and nice buck this year.

I drew a WY deer tag last year and tagged out

And in '18 and '19 picked up a archery deer tag for Idaho that both years I had shot opportunities.

Currently ive got 4 pp in CO for deer and elk and plan on using my deer points on high country mule deer this year. Plenty of good units that one can draw with 3-5 pp if you can archery hunt.

Wyoming ive got 6 pp for elk and antelope, planning on using next year.

By that time i can draw again for MT and am gonna continue to buy pp for different states i want to hunt.

Btw all these hunts ive been driving from Central Ohio out west. I have yet to regret any of them.

I understand why some guys think its going to pot but thats the way its always been and honestly its probably gonna just be that way. There is still plenty of opportunity out west

Feel free to pm me if there's anything i can help with

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Wyoming doesn't seem to mind changing the rules so don't make long term plans based on today.
Figure out how to hunt now in Wyoming or elsewhere.

Before spending money on points in Wyoming you might want to study this page (sorry I can't figure out how to make it bigger):

1673533758922.png

Last edited:
Wyoming doesn't seem to mind changing the rules so don't make long term plans based on today.

Before spending money on points in Wyoming you might want to study this page (sorry I can figure out how to make it bigger):

View attachment 500263
Is that from Wyoming Fish & Game website?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Man, sounds like a lots of guys don't want competition for tags.
Get your PPs for Wyoming, some areas for deer can be drawn with 0-1 PPs and pronghorn may just rebound quite nicely one year and have an abundance of licenses in the draw.

Look over draw odds and put in for areas with a few random tags to try before PPs build.
Pronghorn might be drawn before you think with improving conditions.

We have plenty of elk too so PPs may be worth it , the right cow licenses don't take PPs either.

Overdrive

WKR
Have the best of both worlds and build PP and hunt every year, been doing it for years and saved up points for higher quality tags that I'll hunt soon enough. I've taken 25 Elk in 30 years of hunting and have yet to burn an Elk PP. Deer, I can draw in the states I hunt with 0 PP or second choice.

Learn the systems put in place and use them to your advantage.

Don’t rule out white tail hunting on the East Coast. Still a lot of adventure and fun to be had and tags/licenses are very cheap.

OP
S

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great stuff here.

I was thinking about this another way earlier today. Aside from my current efforts on DIY trips in CO, I think what I’m really trying to plan out is this….

An outfitter/guided hunt for a “big” muley and a “big” elk. I don’t really care about numbers but just for the sake of conversation, 170+ and 320+ respectively. I realize that’s not record book stuff but that’s just me.

I’m in my early 40’s. By the time I could draw the premier units I may well be out of motivation to climb mountains. So, buy points now or save coins and look for landowner tags when the time comes?

bsnedeker

WKR
I’m in my early 40’s. By the time I could draw the premier units I may well be out of motivation to climb mountains. So, buy points now or save coins and look for landowner tags when the time comes?
I've already stated that you should do the later, but to add on: You don't need to pay for a landowner tag necessarily. In Montana we have a LOT of ranches in general units that don't require any bonus points at all to draw...you just need to draw the General tag, and you can hunt private herds with much higher odds of getting a big elk/mule deer. Those guided hunts can be had for MUCH cheaper than a landowner tag hunt. While I've never looked into it, I'd be surprised if you didn't have the same option in CO and ID on ranches in OTC units...there have to be a few at least.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider

Before spending money on points in Wyoming you might want to study this page (sorry I can't figure out how to make it bigger):

View attachment 500263

Do you have this same chart for moose and sheep?

OXN939

WKR
Thanks Mojave.

So if I’m starting from zero, and knowing I don’t care to wait for than 5 years for a given hunt, it doesn’t sound like there is much of a point in trying to build those points. I’m behind the curve so to speak. Am I tracking your thought right?

That's basically correct at this point. I recommend to guys starting from zero to apply in places like NM and ID that don't use point systems so they have as good a chance as anyone else at drawing.