Which rifle scope rings to purchase?

grfox92

WKR
Long action savage’s have the front and rear ring holes really far apart. To the point where you are almost forced to use a rail. Unless you get a really long scope.
I had to order a rail for my .270 for this reason.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I prefer a more robust ring and rail combo as I have seen issues with talley direct mounts. Area 419 rails and hawkins/nightforce/zeiss ultralight rings have worked well for me and now every gun gets a near identical setup.
Much easier to move scopes from rifle to rifle this way as well

Had trouble with a couple of sets of Talley LW. They cracked around one of the screw holes. Had about a dozen sets in service at one point. A little research showed I was far from the only one to experience the same issue. Further, they used to deliberately come egg shaped, and the process of securing the scope actually pushed them round. I never cared for that design feature.

It's been quite a few years since I used a set, so perhaps they've gotten better?

Last edited:
Had trouble with a couple of sets of Talley LW. Had about a dozen sets in service at one point. They cracked around one of the screw holes. A little research showed I was far from the only one to experience the issue. Further, they used to deliberately come egg shaped, and the process of securing the scope actually pushed them round. I never cared for that design feature.

It's been quite a few years since I used a set, so perhaps they've gotten better?
I don't think they've made any changes..

SwiftShot

WKR
I love DNZ. One piece machined rings and base. Screws on the rings are twice as long so grip way better.