Which new 7 Rem Mag

My Tikka in 7mag is 3 years old and I couldn’t be happier. Have taken several good bucks and four or five hogs with it. Also a cow elk. I’ve killed things ranging from 15 yards out to about 300 yards. Have used 160 grain Accubonds primarily but have also used TSX and trophy bonded tip 160s and it shoots all the above really well.

I’ve even shot a half dozen coyotes with it. I just always reach for this rifle. Mine is in a Mcmillan stock with edge fill and currently outfitted with a Trijicon Credo HX (4-16x50)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 20
You can shoot 175 ELD-X at 3.34 out of an OEM Tikka just fine. Of course longer is better, but not by a ton. Alternately, the 162 OEM Hornady loads are really good and have killed a pile of elk. I end up shooting them fairly often because I like to pull the trigger as much as I can, and I don't always have time to load.

A factory 7mm RM Tikka + a stock of your choice will get you going for comparatively cheap. Or just replace the pistol grip with the vertical add on, and add whatever you need on the comb for height and use the OEM stock to save money. You'll likely shoot tight groups with it.

If I was going the semi custom Tikka route, I'd go 7mm Saum or WSM, or .284 if you want to shave a little recoil. IMO, the short mags are a good fit in the Tikkas; all the COAL you can use with minimal effort and good feeding out of several mag options to boot.

The 7mm PRC would likely be a good option, too, if you might rely on factory ammo at times, as you'll get a cartridge designed to shoot 175's at 3.34 with the corresponding twist to do it in any atmosphere. All depends on what you're looking to get for performance/recoil and how much loading and component scrounging you have time and ability to do.

Last edited: