Which headlamp you use.

mauidiver

WKR
Hey guys, looking for a good headlight and wondered what you guys use or suggest. Checking out Zebra, and petzl sp? Thanks guys

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
After using Petzl and Black Diamond for years because they were the "big names" and in all the climbing and mountaineering stores... I know use Princeton Tec. I have a couple of their 200 lumen headlamps and man, they're great. Simple buttons (operable with gloves and having raised markings on them so you can tell each in the dark) for each of the modes- flood or spot. None of this holding it down and then clicking three times and then adjusting brightness on five levels. Simple to use, less expensive than Petzl or BD and made in USA to boot. Very good on battery life too.

I also have owned Petzl, Black Diamond and a couple others which all get ignored now. My 2 best lights for general use in camp or on-trail are both Princeton Tec units. I own a Remix Pro and an EOS. They are different, but ergonomically wonderful. I prefer the EOS for simplicity, and my finger finds the switch with greater ease in the dark. I simply cannot fault my EOS in any way. The Remix is a superb light with higher output, but at the expense of battery life. It has greater lighting options (beam spread and output) than my EOS, plus a smaller profile. I think it is the best of the two for hiking and trail use. No matter which of these lights I'm wearing, I'm happy with it.

There are lots of good threads on here that will give you all the information you need. I recently picked up a zebralight h52fw and h600w MKII based on recommendations from some rokslide members. I haven't had much time to use them in the field, but so far I'm very happy with both of them.

I've used a BDstorm for the past 4 years and have been pleased with it especially for its size and weight. Went away from PT because switches kept going out. Maybe they are better now. BD has a new Storm that boasts 160 lumens for 40 bucks.

Ruskin

WKR
I use the Princeton tec Vizz. Great multi-purpose light. Good high output w decent red light.

dotman

WKR
I run zebra only now and have for a few years, pretty much se no reason to try these other brand that are more expensive but put out less light output and made of plastic with huge battery packs. My last one before the zebra was a black diamond icon, thing was a brick that held too many batteries for the little amount of light and was mainly plastic. I also really like the aluminum construction with o-ring seals on the zebra.

Guys, I just run a cheap $18 EverReady that seems just as light as the others and i get plenty of light output. I like the princeton tec stuff, also cheap, but had a problem with water getting into the switch this fall in a rainstorm in CO. Light went out and had to use a mini mag lite the rest of the trip as I had no good backup. I also hiked up one day in the dark. It actually wasn't terrible.

charvey9

WKR
I have an old Princeton Tec, don't even remember the model. Been going strong for 10 years now. Hella bright, has 3 different settings, good on batteries, and weighs under 3oz. I've played with a few newer Black Diamond models, and they just don't feel of the same quality.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I've had nothing but bad luck with Princeton Tec as every one that I've had broke; I've been running all Petzl headlamps for the last 5+ years. I was using the Tikka 2 with an e-lite, but got a Tikka RXP to use instead of the T 2 because I wanted something brighter for blood trailing after dark when necessary. My wife uses a BD that is probably 4 or so years old now and it's still going strong. I am interested in the zebra light though so I might pick one of those up, too.

Mike7

WKR
Princeton tec Vizz now. This is the best I have found now for my needs compared to the Petzl's, etc. I have previously used.
These are completely redesigned from the older Princeton tec's that had easily broken battery compartment lids. In fact, I find this to be better (more sturdy and waterproof seemingly) now than all of my Petzl models. The highest setting will eat the batteries, but it is not needed for general trail travel, since there are other settings...and I like the red LEDs.