Which down pants?

sacklunch

WKR
I have the SG Grumman's and they have a very soft, likely quiet shell. Never used them as a base layer though.
I'll 2nd these...the jacket is less than ideal, but the pants are stellar. I've never needed to sleep in them, not even down to 0 deg in my WM, but I always have them late season in case I get cold.

And they are pretty durable in the butt for throwing on over some pants for a glassing session on extra cold days

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a pair of these

Unreal how warm they are. Excellent build quality.
Nunatak makes great gear, but you can only order those in Sep-Oct now with a multi month wait time, and they don't do custom orders anymore. They've lost a lot of what used to make them such an attraction. I think I would recommend goosefeet gear now just because the custom option is still there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a pair from Goosefeet this week. Because of my height couldn’t find a pair that would fit. They are awesome!

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Go custom, or go home.:) Seriously though, GooseFeet Gear hands down makes the best custom tailored down puffy pants you'll find anywhere, and chances are, you won't pay any more than what you would for commercially manufactured ones. Oh, and they're 100% handmade in the USA.
www.goosefeetgear.com

How did you configure yours as far as baffles/no baffles, fabric, fill weight and how did they come out in terms of durability, warmth and weight?

I just bought a set of Skre Ptarmigan down pants and jacket. I also ordered a pair of down quilted booties after a friend's recommendation who is out in the cold more often than myself.
I sleep in a Nemo 15F down bag during the colder months. Depending on the nigh time temps, usually a merino wool base layer top and bottom is okay for me( 300 gram merino). I'm going camping this weekend up in northwest NJ for 3 days and expect colder temps due to the highest altitude spot in NJ.
I'm bringing the 300 weight merino wool plus the down pants, jacket and booties. My bud says when it gets really cold, the down is the ticket and the booties are the best option for keeping your feet warm in the bag all night.
I'll let you know how the down works if I have to use it.

How did you configure yours as far as baffles/no baffles, fabric, fill weight and how did they come out in terms of durability, warmth and weight?
I went with 20D outer and 8D inner fabric, baffled and 6 oz. fill wt. The total wt. is 9.5 oz. for mine. They are very warm but probably not very durable in regards to the fabric because I wanted something very light wt. The only time I use them is to sleep in and for just hanging out in camp, so I never do anything that would risk ripping them. In so far as durability of construction, I feel like they're very durable/well constructed.

Nunatak makes great gear, but you can only order those in Sep-Oct now with a multi month wait time, and they don't do custom orders anymore. They've lost a lot of what used to make them such an attraction. I think I would recommend goosefeet gear now just because the custom option is still there.

Haven't looked in a couple years but that's a bummer to see.. I have custom Apex puffy pants and jacket from them that are unbeatable by any commercial product IMO. Weigh the same as top notch down insulation for the warmth but handle moisture like a champ and ripping the liner is no biggie because its apex and wont dump insulation.

Also have a custom Apex bag that is within a couple ounces of my WM bag of equal warmth.. Was thinking of selling it because I don't foresee any AK trips where an UL but warm synthetic bag is preferred in the near future.

Last edited:

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I went with 20D outer and 8D inner fabric, baffled and 6 oz. fill wt. The total wt. is 9.5 oz. for mine. They are very warm but probably not very durable in regards to the fabric because I wanted something very light wt. The only time I use them is to sleep in and for just hanging out in camp, so I never do anything that would risk ripping them. In so far as durability of construction, I feel like they're very durable/well constructed.

Thanks for the info, it's nice to hear how you configured yours and how the weight came out. I mostly use puffy pants for staying warm while glassing but have occasionally crawled through snow to stalk in closer during winter hunting.

I've got some other puffy clothing made of Pertex - seems like 20d should be similar to that? I've not snagged or had any feathers come through Pertex but also haven't gone through any blackberry thickets with it either.

mod7rem

FNG
Taiga Works has a good selection of down pants depending on features you want. I have the Arctic Down Pants Pro and they are excellent quality.

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of goose feet gear custom with 6 oz of fill and they're amazing and quick turnaround! best bang for your buck.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Using Arc'teryx atom lt LEAF pants for a few years. Might buy some stone glacier Grumman pants. Hard to beat there price/quality (I have their Grumman Jacket)