Which Danners are the best?

Check in on camofire.com. Sometimes they'll have a run of Danners.

They do, and usually at half price. Unfortunately they aren't worth it at even half price. Spend a little more and get into the Kenetrek, Crispi, etc They will feel better, be waterproof from the beginning and til the end, and last much longer. Camofire offers the Kenetrek and Crispis at a great savings too.

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
They do, and usually at half price. Unfortunately they aren't worth it at even half price. Spend a little more and get into the Kenetrek, Crispi, etc They will feel better, be waterproof from the beginning and til the end, and last much longer. Camofire offers the Kenetrek and Crispis at a great savings too.
I agree 100%. I had 2 pairs of Danners, both leaked, both had terrible break in, and both wore out right about when they became comfortable.

I now have 2 pairs of crispi and I can confidently recommend them to anyone. Way better boot for your money.

To sit in a tree, any boot will do. How long are you hiking, do your feet get cold, what kind of weather will you be hunting in? If you need better boots, check out backpacking type boots. If you don't, get the 400 g Danner pronghorn. Waterproof them yourself with wax rub-on like SnoSeal or spray silicone. Buy a new pair every 2 or three years...

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't owned a pair of danners in quite a few yrs, but picked up a pair of recurves (400 gr) and sharptails off camofire this past yr and haven't had any issues. Both are comfortable and haven't leaked. Today after turkey hunting I took high pressure hose from truck wash and sprayed mud off boots and feet stayed dry. I'm not out hiking in the mountains, just walking around the woods in southern Indiana. Out of the two i purchased I really like the recurves a lot.
Was originally going to get some pronghorns but read too many bad reviews how they are not the same boot anymore.
If your budget is that price range maybe check out the Irish setter elk hunters. I just got a pair of the 1000 gr version, were on sale for $200 so wanted to try them instead of rubber boots.

Just an FYI but noticed that both the pairs of danners I bought run half size small

CRBTBB711

FNG
Another vote for pronghorns. Can stand in a tree stand for hours without my feet hurting.

CMF

WKR
Regardless of the boots, I've found it best to get a boot cover like an arctic shield and throw in a hand warmer for when it's really cold and I'm sitting. Any boot warm enough for me sitting is too warm hiking to the stand and I end up with wet cold feet anyway.

Zdub02

WKR
Another vote for Pronghorns. You should be able to get a few years out of them with stand hunting and they won't break the bank like higher end shoes. Mine did start leaking after a while but I put a ton of miles and years of use on them before that happened.

I had a couple pair of the danner lace up Sharptails. Super comfy and like them, but the durability in the seams was their weakness. If you are just wanting early season boot to walk in and out to the tree they would be fine. I wore mine a bunch and cruised timber in them. Briars and sticks chewed up the stitching around the toe. I liked the look of the moccasin toe, but think a all leather toe like the pronghorn without stitching would be more durable. I tried on the pronghorn but the sharptail fit better.

fishslap

WKR
Pronghorns were warm and comfortable but leaked bad. Danner East Ridge are American made. They seem warm and comfortable and didn’t leak but I never truly tested their water resistance before I moved to scarpa kinesis pro for western hunting.

If your set on Danners, have a look at the Arcadia and the Canadian series.. They are insulated, high top leather and USA made.. Get a can of

Obenauf's leather boot treatment and treat them 2/3 times during breakin and you'll be set for a few years..

Other good brands to look at are Asolo and Scarpa.. Both made in Europe.. I have both and never had cold or wet feet while wearing them... Also, if wet feet are a problem (Not sweat related) you may want to try wearing gaiters.. I swear by them and the will really extend the life of your boots and make your feet more comfortable and protected..

Last edited:

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a set of mountain 600s I have had a few years...Pretty disappointed. Leak with a heavy dew, but don't breathe well so my feet sweat a lot in them even with good socks. Super comfortable though.

Bazookas

FNG
Had purchased the Vitals, as other stated they leak terribly. Danner warrantied them on the spot and got me into a pair of Alseas which have a Gore-Tex liner. So far, they have been a great investment.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Danner Trophy boots that are quite old., more that 15 years old. Only use them for hunting. Not sure if they make them anymore. They are very similar to the Canadian. They have served me very well. I use a leather treatment on them every year , which has kept the leather soft. The goretex held up well for several years. I think they were an American made line of Danner. Thanks. - Rufus