which custom action or true/rebarrel for hunting rifle build?

Macintosh

WKR
So, I'm not in danger of actually doing this anytime soon, I just like the idea so I'm kicking around stuff to look into in the event this still makes sense to me in a year-ish.
I'm toying with building a new hunting rifle. This would be an all-around rifle for everything from tracking whitetails in the eastern big woods, to occasional trips to hunt elk-sized critters, and everything in between, as well as informal practical-precision type targets. I already have appropriate rifles including a couple tikkas in short-action standard calibers (7mm-08 and similar), but none are as accurate as I'd like compared to some semi-custom rigs I've shot, so my main focus would be essentially duplicating what I already have but in a significantly more accurate platform. Despite accuracy being a primary goal I would consider this a traditional hunting rifle, NOT a "long range hunting rifle".

My questions are for folks who have gone down this road multiple times, as most of my gun-tweaking experience is either around shotguns or rifles for target games. For a middling-lighter-weight traditional sporter-weight gun, say around 8.25lb or less scoped:
1) which actions should be on my list to look into (including any I already own), and most importantly, WHY?
2) pro's and cons to having a gun built versus buying a barreled action and assembling the remainder myself? On the surface, it seems like all the stocks I'd likely be looking at are essentially a chassis system inside a traditional-looking stock, and I can bolt on and adjust a trigger, do a good job with mounting a scope, etc, so I'm not actually sure what benefit I get by having a gun "built for me".

If it matters for the above questions, I'll probably end up with a short action caliber or possibly a short-action magnum like a 6.5prc or similar, but extremely unlikely I'd go for anything bigger. It's very likely this'll end up with a smaller suppressor on it at least some of the time, and I'll mainly be shooting factory ammo. I'm not particularly leaning toward any budget, really just getting some thoughts from experienced folks that I can consider to work up my own set of priorities and budget and see what makes sense for me.

Thanks in advance.

(Also, didja see how I started my first sentence with "so"? Nifty, huh? I learned that here)

CORam

FNG
I am by no means an experienced rifle builder, but I built a 6.5CM with a Bighorn/Zermatt Origin action and I loved it so much that I decided to build a hunting rifle with another Origin. I built the hunting rifle in 300 WSM. I used a SS barrel on the 6.5CM and went with a Proof shouldered prefit for the 300 WSM. I am waiting on an XLR Element chassis (aluminum version) for it, but when I get that it will weigh 7 lbs 6 oz with only the action (including the scope rail), barrel, chassis, and trigger. I really like the Origin actions because they are not super expensive like some other actions but they are very smooth and easy to build a rifle from, plus they have very good customer service. I have not read anything bad about the Origin action, and I've read a lot. Plus I really like the ability to assemble the rifle myself for the fact that I know my rifle very well because of it, and as a point of pride.

My hunting rifle will weigh 11.0 lbs field ready - with rings, scope, muzzle brake, scope caps, sling, bipod, mag, 3 rds of ammo.

I know this doesn't necessarily answer your questions but I figured I would throw out my experience to spawn ideas and give you a point of reference.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ve used an origin action on a friends rifle, it is nice and smooth and that rifle shot extremely well, although that one is an 18lb prs rifle. If you or anyone has any feedback on an action like this with regard to field use and the durability or reliability of the interchangeable bolt face under various dirty or icy conditions, I would be interested to hear. Thanks, and keep it coming!

Last edited:
Right now it’s very much a challenge of what’s available. Defiance is out 12+ months on direct orders. Most places sell out rather quickly when they get actions in stock. I’m very happy with my Origin action but I ordered a light weight Pierce Shadow for a 30 nosler build. Pretty much the same as an AnTi without the prefit capability. Should hopefully have it in hand in a couple weeks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you or anyone has any feedback on an action like this with regard to field use and the durability or reliability of the interchangeable bolt face under various dirty or icy conditions, I would be interested to hear.

All of the actions that use a R700 trigger have more failures in ice and dust than say a Tikka. They are not nearly as reliable.

LarsCL7

FNG
I just completed a rifle build in 6mm Creedmoor using a Bighorn origin action and I also have a 300 wby built on a Bighorn SR3 action. Both Rifles were built by Mark Chanlynn at Rocky Mountain Rifle Works and they are two of the best shooting rifles I've ever had. The Bighorn origin is affordable especially considering the quality and features, easily changeable floating bolt heads, excellent round feed and super smooth.

CORam

FNG
Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ve used an origin action on a friends rifle, it is nice and smooth and that rifle shot extremely well, although that one is an 18lb prs rifle. If you or anyone has any feedback on an action like this with regard to field use and the durability or reliability of the interchangeable bolt face under various dirty or icy conditions, I would be interested to hear. Thanks, and keep it coming!
I have been hunting with one of mine for a year and shot in three field matches (NRL Hunter style, ~150 rounds each) with no issues. One match this year was in very windy and dusty conditions. It was blowing up to 30 MPH and dust was just about filling the action (since bolts have to be back between stages). The gun was extremely dirty, and the bolt was hard to pull back and slide forward from getting so gummy and gritty. But it never failed to cycle a round, fire properly, or anything. I cleaned the action that night and it felt as good as new, just in time to start the next day and get just as dirty lol. I was cringing all day while it was getting so dirty, but it didn't seem to skip a beat.

So, I'm not in danger of actually doing this anytime soon, I just like the idea so I'm kicking around stuff to look into in the event this still makes sense to me in a year-ish.
I'm toying with building a new hunting rifle. This would be an all-around rifle for everything from tracking whitetails in the eastern big woods, to occasional trips to hunt elk-sized critters, and everything in between, as well as informal practical-precision type targets. I already have appropriate rifles including a couple tikkas in short-action standard calibers (7mm-08 and similar), but none are as accurate as I'd like compared to some semi-custom rigs I've shot, so my main focus would be essentially duplicating what I already have but in a significantly more accurate platform. Despite accuracy being a primary goal I would consider this a traditional hunting rifle, NOT a "long range hunting rifle".

My questions are for folks who have gone down this road multiple times, as most of my gun-tweaking experience is either around shotguns or rifles for target games. For a middling-lighter-weight traditional sporter-weight gun, say around 8.25lb or less scoped:
1) which actions should be on my list to look into (including any I already own), and most importantly, WHY?
2) pro's and cons to having a gun built versus buying a barreled action and assembling the remainder myself? On the surface, it seems like all the stocks I'd likely be looking at are essentially a chassis system inside a traditional-looking stock, and I can bolt on and adjust a trigger, do a good job with mounting a scope, etc, so I'm not actually sure what benefit I get by having a gun "built for me".

If it matters for the above questions, I'll probably end up with a short action caliber or possibly a short-action magnum like a 6.5prc or similar, but extremely unlikely I'd go for anything bigger. It's very likely this'll end up with a smaller suppressor on it at least some of the time, and I'll mainly be shooting factory ammo. I'm not particularly leaning toward any budget, really just getting some thoughts from experienced folks that I can consider to work up my own set of priorities and budget and see what makes sense for me.

Thanks in advance.

(Also, didja see how I started my first sentence with "so"? Nifty, huh? I learned that here)
I've done quite a few builds and I keep circling back around to tikka semi customs.
Since you're going suppressed and are mainly hunting whitetail in the timber I'd get a 16-18" prefit tikka barrel from McGowen chambered in 6.5 prc or 6.8 western and screw it onto your least favorite Tikka.
Get a mountain tactical wsm magazine and a long action bolt stop and you're good to go.

Here's my tikka 7-300 wsm with an 18" mcgowen barrel flared up to .730 at the muzzle for my 9" suppressor.
It weighs 8lbs 12oz as shown with a 4-16×50 Trijicon Credo
It's elk capable to 900 yards, and I've shot it past 1300, so yeah you don't need much barrel for what you're doing.
20220630_085033.jpg

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks all, appreciate the responses, keep em coming.

sounds like a build off of one of my tikkas or a new/used tikka wouldnt be a bad option. I've also got the Origin action as an option. Interested in hearing about some of the others--I hear defiance actions mentioned a lot although no one has come out and recommended one here. At this point since this gun is just a dream, I'm not at all concerned about wait times, cost, etc, so if there are specific actions that are most-appropriate or sought-after for this particular use (or inappropriate) I'd love hear which they are, and why folks think so.

Thanks all, appreciate the responses, keep em coming.

sounds like a build off of one of my tikkas or a new/used tikka wouldnt be a bad option. I've also got the Origin action as an option. Interested in hearing about some of the others--I hear defiance actions mentioned a lot although no one has come out and recommended one here. At this point since this gun is just a dream, I'm not at all concerned about wait times, cost, etc, so if there are specific actions that are most-appropriate or sought-after for this particular use (or inappropriate) I'd love hear which they are, and why folks think so.
Defiance anTi if you want the best lightweight action

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks I’d seen that one mentioned. What is it about that action that makes you recommend it over others such as the lightweight actions from terminus, curtis, kelbly, etc?

You might also include the Defiance Rebel on your list of considering Defiance. Depending on how you spec it out its only a little bit heavier than a AnTi and a bit lighter weight versus many of the other 700 clones if comparing stainless actions. And if you like to mount your scope as low as possible the Rebel doesn't usually have issues with bolt handle hitting your scope. I've done 2 short action builds with that action and am more than pleased with how they turned out.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I have a recent build off of a Stiller Predator and am very pleased with it. A buddy that has 5-6 custom builds that helped me with it said it looked to be a very nice piece. Action is tight and smooth. Machining is very clean.

Firedad

FNG
I have a question? What is the difference between buying a tikka action to build from the ground up vs semi-custom built from factory? The question really is why is it so expensive to buy the action? I have only built an AR, knowing it wasn’t necessarily cheaper than one off the shelf but it could have been if I wanted. I chose instead to build a mid range quality with some higher end components. This way I built it how I wanted. It still seemed to cost comparable to a factory of its kind but I got to build how I wanted. I got curious about building a hunting rifle and saw quickly that the action alone is the cost of a factory rifle. Why? Am I missing something?

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
My guess is that small production batches is 90% of the answer, and closer tolerances is the remainder. I have heard people say that tikka actions are the best of the “factory actions” because they hold similar tolerances to the semi-customs, but thats hearsay.

Firedad

FNG
So how do they sell their action? Are they not made by them and it’s a tikka clone? Doesn’t seem like they’d sell when you could just buy a full gun for the price or a used one for half price.

Unckebob

WKR
So how do they sell their action? Are they not made by them and it’s a tikka clone? Doesn’t seem like they’d sell when you could just buy a full gun for the price or a used one for half price.

I don't believe there are any Tikka clones.

All the clones I am aware of are Remington M700 clones. The Model 700 was introduced in 1962 before modern manufacturing techniques. Clone makers make better M700's with tighter tolerances.

Using modern machining, clone manufacturers can produce an action which are better than the mass produced Remington were/are. They can also add their own features such as having the recoil lug and/rail machined into the action. Some have different lug designs.

Tikka's are based upon a 2000's era design which, from the start, was designed, from the start, to use modern manufacturing techniques and tolerances.

gbflyer

WKR
Really hard to beat the Tikka. Some guys don’t like the recoil lug and mod that, I’ve not seen where the factory one is an issue. Some have issue with the stock which I also like. I’ve got 2 $$$$Rem clones and 2 Origins. If I had to grab one in a pinch if the safe was on fire, it would be the factory Tikka.