Which came first, deciding to hunt elk or elk media

Did you:

• want to elk hunt as long as you can remember and started consuming elk media once you planned to go

Votes: 114 49.8%
  • get convinced to elk hunt after following elk hunting social media, influencers, youtube etc.

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • always hunt elk because you grew up doing it

Votes: 110 48.0%

• Total voters
Media definitely played a part. I moved 20 years ago just for an opportunity to see animals when hunting. Western hunting didn’t get a lot of space but the few videos and magazine articles caught my attention.
And I think it’s odd that we are all here on a media platform talking about elk hunting socially.

sundance1

FNG
My media was me, myself, and i. Had a lot of conversations over the years with myself on some of the bonehead things I would do. There was no media, and I get amused when these younger generation youtube video hunters take credit for their expertise, tricks of the trade that they apply, and portray that they are the ground breakers on the keys to success. I was squawking on mouth diaphragms when they first came out, even used the gas hose call. A lot of these newcomers weren't even born yet.These guys nowadays have sponsors who provide the best equipment, have doors opened, and intel into good hunting areas, and spend months hunting. Some even start their own lines of hunting gear and calls, are front and center at expo's with their mounts. Don't get me wrong, there are some good guys among them, and some are good hunters. But, they all are hanging onto the shirttails of the hunters who came before them who blood, sweat, and tear'ed it.
The biggest gripe i got is when they say that one of their main objectives is to promote hunting and grow the hunting community....but be sure and hit the like button....because their own personal economics are based off of exposure for sponsors or their own products.

I've been dreaming about it doing it for 20 years or so. That'll all change this year. It wasn't really until 2016 when I was within 25 yards of a small herd while turkey hunting. If I had to credit "social media"....I'd have to give the nod to Wayne Carlton back in the day on VHS.

Read about it in Fur-Fish-Game magazine when I was a kid and when I saved up enough money to go when I was 18 I went. Paper map in my hand and a little POS yellow garmin etrex. lol

Been hunting them ever since.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Decided years ago as a kid I was going elk hunting..
That was " Back before microwaves ovens when a girl could still cook and still would"....🙂
Under-Rated Post ^^^^

Hat-tip, Merle Haggard.

I've never been after elk, and by now I might have missed my window---But "Never say 'never'" ... LOL ---

To the extent that I have it as a stretch goal and a long-standing item on my bucket list, it's due to outdoor writers scribbling long before most Social Media types were even born.

They painted a picture with words that has borne a dream over decades.

Mojave

WKR
There are photos of me in one of those papoose things on my father's back with him standing between the antlers of an elk or moose in Wyoming 50 years ago.

I remember going to elk camp every year and being pissed because I couldn't go on the hunt.

My first elk hunt was a bust at 14, but I will never forget it.

How was the hunter crowd's in the 90's and early 2000's vs now?
I know in Alberta it seems like it’s doubled, but so has the population. I think another issue is the knowledge and equipment that’s available to make back country hunting not as intimidating.

Always wanted to Hunt Elk but never had the time or the resources to do so until I was 49 yrs old.
Too busy being Dad to three children, Husband, Coach for every possible kids sports and working countless hours in the field and moving up through the ladder to provide for my family. There was no "Media or Influencer" propaganda crud!

Just a Good Ole Boy loves to Hunt. Raised old fashion morals and hunting ethics. Judge a man for who he is and his character not for what State he lives in or the color of his skin.